Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to How to do this?
    PrintDriver
    I'd think you'd want to be careful that it doesn't look obviously fake, like the first photo.
    The second one is strangely shadowless and floaty.
    The third one is ok, the objects are actually...
    Today, 12:55 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to do this?
    Buda
    Yes.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would do this in Photoshop so that I had more control of the final colour. Photographing colours can result in differences...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hello from Nordic
    Buda
    Hi Mikko and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 12:20 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Buda
    I've never used Zazzle or CafePress, but I've bought a few things on Etsy.

If your CafePress store is doing well, why not sell your Zazzle items on CafePress and see how you go? It might...
    Today, 12:17 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color blind?

Hey, guys im a now a second year student in graphic design and ive always had problems with color, More specific red and greens. I can sometimes mix these colors with others. Now what i want to know is how successful can i possibly be having problems with these colors. I understand that color is a huge part in graphic design but so far I managed first and second semester to get on the deans list and be in the top 12 student for first year. I am guessing that second and third year will be more difficult but i hope i do well. I would just like to know is there still a good chance that i can be successful in my future. Design is what i love to do and i dont want to let the color part ruin it. Thanks.

well, looking through the pantone book might be tough. But there are Color Blind designers out there. And i do know there are special monitor color profiles for designers that are color blind.
    www.standercreative.com

Comment

We need Bladez on this one!
      He is colour blind and a designer.
      *wanders off to poke him*
      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Hey Trapster, I'm colour blind Red and Green as well. And don't get it in your head that it's going to stop you from being a designer. I'm the graphic designer for 2 magazines, so it's very do-able. Here's a few tips that may be able to help you along the way:

If you know you're dealing with something that has reds or greens in it, have another person take a look at it before sending it out for proof or showing it to your profs, just so they can let you know if there's any slight red/green hues in it that you can't see. I've noticed it's mostly the reds you have to watch for, as they can naturally occur in a persons flesh colour, etc. Plus, if you're printing off a laser machine that over prints a little bit of magenta, it'll give your stuff a pink hue, that you may not be able to see. So always have another set of eyes check your colour if you can, and explain why so they know what to look for.

Like Silence said, refer to a pantone book if you can. You may not be able to see the specific colour you need, but you'll be able to tell if you're in the right area at least by other colour swatches on the page. Nice thing with pantone is that even if it doesn't look right to you, you know it will be. Especially if you're told which PMS to use.

As long as you stay aware of it, and remember to get a second set of eyes to look at anything that my involve those colours, you should be ok. I've only had 1 incident where it was a major factor. Somebody had a rush job they needed same day, and I was the only one around, so I couldn't get a second set of eyes to look at my colour, until the client picked them up. Then she bitched. I explained that I couldn't see the colour and because she demanded them same day, with no proof, she could either take them as is, or give me a few more hours to fix it.....she took them as is and swore a blue streak on the way out....But I was also working with her source files, and didn't do any of the work myself, so I wouldn't know if it was right or not, because of it.

And remember, in photoshop, you can always check your colour channels/hues/levels/etc. to see which areas are affected.
        Last edited by Bladez; 04-23-2009, 04:52 PM.
        Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
        | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
        | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

so there is programs to assist just incase?

Comment

Thanks so much Bladez. That was very helpful. Just want to know if you can see these numbers in these circles. This test tells you if you actually are red green colorblind. This is how i found out.
            http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp

Comment

*LOL* I don't even have to click the link. I've been given those tests all my life by optometrists, and I've never been able to see the numbers. That's part of the eye exam portion for a drivers license here too...I failed that part. But as soon as I explained that I was colour blind but could still distinguish between the red/yellow/green lights, they just laughed and said OK.

(I found out I was colour blind when I was in grade 4 or 5 I believe.)

Have you ever been tested by an eye doctor?
              Last edited by Bladez; 04-23-2009, 06:52 PM.
              Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
              | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

I have a fried that is color blind and was a graphics camera operator (way back in the day). Shooting photos and making seps are a PITA if you can't see the colors. He used to carry around a little wallet sized card that had red, green, blue and yellow filters on it and he would hold it up and look through it to see what colors would be blocked and then he would know what filter to use to shoot with.
                handy little do-dad.

Comment

I took the second test and it said I was Red Green color blind. I think the test is broken. I saw a 2, and have no idea where there is a 5 in there. I passed the first test with flying colors though.

Comment

I saw them all, so maybe you are color blind? o_O

But it could also have to do with your monitor... I'm using a CRT flatscreen, which produces beautiful, vivid colors. Color reproduction and quality can vary on LCD screens.
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Exactly. You can't go by a test on the computer. I've also been able to get around it on my laptop by changing the angle of the screen. There's no way to be 100% sure you're colour blind if you're staring at a computer screen.

Ask an optometrist to do the test next time you get your eyes checked.
                      | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Haha. yah no its not the moniter trust me ive tried all different angled its clearly my eyes. I went and checked with an eye doctor and found out i was color blind in grade 4 or 5 also. I am doing excellent in college tho so i hope i can keep it up. I am getting used to The CMYK sliders and making different colors that way. Just can never get a nice green. they always look like crap. haha

Comment

Gotta love that grey/green that always comes out eh? hahaha. Tho, I've found that deep green look great still They're dark enough that I can see 'em all (as long as I don't have to tell the difference between 3 or 4 shades that are really close. Arg!).

Being colour blind isn't that big of a challenge to work through in Design. Like I said, just make sure to run your stuff past people
                          | Karl Marx |

| Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

haha yah il make sure of that. Thanks made me feel much better. For some reason i thought id get all negative responses back.

Comment

I too am colorblind.

I am pretty much fine, I either ask or look at the CMYK color build to see what it may be. Though many times I think it is one thing and it prints another. I just have a few people I ask about it. The owner of the company and a few of the VPs are colorblind (including the old Marketing VP who would oversee the check designs we print). Design isn't always about color though. Good design can be seen with tones as well and by the lack of color-correct vision, I look more at placement, hierarchy, tones, typefaces, etc.
                              I am always on top of software changes and the like as I feel it helps me compensate.

Though, just today I was creating an invite and thought it was blue on screen and it appears purple on teh print out...which is wrong, the screen, the print, my eyes? The numbers looked good for a blue but I could be wrong. You'll be fine. Though i had some trouble telling an employer right away (interview) sometimes I just went in and did the job and they found out, which is fine as they wonder how you made it. (My mother didn't want me going in to design, partially because of the pay and partially because I am colorblind, but I have had a few people say I know how to use color better than they do and they'd probably never know if it wasn't for me telling them).

Good luck.
                              Dribbble Page
                              Behance Portfolio
                              Linkedin Profile

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X