Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Today, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Today, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Today, 10:09 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF ralf

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 09:48 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF wut

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 09:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, Help me!! I need your suggestion for my thesis!!

Hi!

I'm a senior graphic designer and this is my last year...however, I have to do my thesis. First, I'm a person that really interesting in typographic, and my favorite typeface is Futura. So, first, my idea is a story/history about futura and why this typeface is so timeless and powerful.

However, I'm not sure about this idea. Since, many people have done a lot of typeface history. So...any suggestion? Please, I need to expand my idea.

Thank you so much for all the suggestion.

Hey! I'm a senior graphic designer too! (Cool!)

Except... I don't need to any thesis on typographic. I guess I haven't even done a lot of typeface history. But I agree that your suggestion is excellent. That is, the part where you say "I need to expand my idea".

I'm really sure that will work. Especially the 'I' part.

Futura... great face! I agree.

Comment

Hi, we are SENIOR haha

anyway, I think my idea is not strong enough, about history of futura typeface. so, I don't know how to make it more interesting and nobody never done it before.

Between, what are you doing for your thesis?

Comment

Comment

What is a senior graphic designer?
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

What we really need is a emoticon that captures the Mona Lisa smile.

Comment

perhaps do a story on Futura's evolution back in 1783 in Scotland. Most people don't even know that part of the history. The scotsman, Samuel (something cannot remember right now) created a simple form typeface. He hid it for fear of British retaliation and then many years later it was "discovered" and turned into the typeface we know today. That's the really short version but look it up and you can get an expanded read through
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

This is the definition of Thesis:
                A position or proposition that a person (as a candidate for scholastic honors) advances and offers to maintain by argument.

Where does doing a paper about a font offer any argument?

Comment

Print beat me to it. A history of a typeface is not a thesis. Your thesis is your argument and you find resources and evidence to back it up. In your opinion did the font change something? create a movement? Cause the collapse of the serif?...And can you find evidence to support your claim?
                  *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

Hey, we at least got a second post. That's above the forum average for most thesis trolling efforts.

Comment

Taken on balance type deviations create distance, which in the long run, are favorable only to and for communication. Lesser impressions can be generally understood as being beneficial only to type and typography as a whole.

But don't social structures demand much much more?

Strong traditional values support curvatures. Not everything 'traditional' is as linear as you have been lead to believe. Perhaps social elegance is, and was, inflected in a strong cursive or even black letter typeface. Perhaps not. But if indeed such a typeface did / does inflect a particular element or a particular character of society - so too does the dynamic impact of a bold sans serif. Compressed or not.

But hey, what the h*ll, society moves on. Never to return to a day of civility or civil discourse. Today's typefaces are just grunts of commerce, to be precise - greed. Who's greed? Your greed. And, to a certain extant, your narcissism too.
                      Say it loud - say it proud. That's not a declaration of independence, that's a declaration of get the f*** out of my way. And what says that better than Futura ...or any other f'n strong sans serif typeface for that matter? (With or without it's cute little bells and whistles!)

Think about it. The last century was a broken century - stacked full of beaten generations. No eloquence, no civility, no embellishments what so ever! Money, guns, God, and a bold sans serif to say it all.

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                      Hi! So, first, my idea is a story/history about futura and why this typeface is so timeless and powerful.
                      If you want to become a designer of any worth - stop the romantic notions. Instead, think of purpose. And I don't mean purpose in a utilitarian way - I mean 'purpose' as in purpose to all of humanity.

Comment

Designing was also my favorite hobby. But with regards to you, maybe you disregard Futura because it is better if your topic the art nouveau movement. You will be explaining how the Art Nouveau Movement influenced the typography of the early 20th century.

Comment

This thread is over a year old. I think the thesis has been written already.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I always wish that the original poster would end these threads with a report on what grade they received.

Comment

ROFL!
                              I don't recall seeing this thread before. But Broacher, that has got to be one of the best all-time responses ever to a thesis request.
                              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X