No announcement yet.

Salary of a Graphic Designer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you find a niche you will make more. I have about 2 years on job experience and am still working on my BFA. I design html emails and make a decent salary for still being in school. I work FT at an agency and freelance on the side. I attend school PT. My wife is a Nurse and we make about the same amount of money when you factor in my freelance work. I just turned 30 my wife is 31 and we have 3 children. We live a comfortable life.

My suggestion to you is while in school intern even if for free (which it probably will be) I was able to get my current job based on what I did interning (which the intern position turned into a PT job). I applied at an agency and got hired. Why? I had a good professional portfolio with actual jobs in it (not school stuff). The other thing I suggest is learn some web too that was another reason I got the position and a slightly higher entry level payscale.

I know the CD where I used to work made very good money. He has been a designer for 8 years.

I want to eventually be a CD so I learning all I can. I will soon complete dual AS degree's in Web Design and Graphic Design. And am working on a BFA with specialization in advertising.

Okay enough of my blah, blah....

Hope this helped you out. If you love it... Do it. I didn't get into this for the money but if you work hard (and smart) you can make a nice living.

Comment

Just know one thing, patience is not included in your salary if you are going to be a freelancer.

BTW new to the forum. Nice to be a member.
      *No Advertising Please*

Comment

Sure it is. It's part of the Overhead.

Comment

Hahaha! Well...I guess you are right... :P
          *No Advertising Please*

Comment

Heheh, probably better to lump the patience fee in with something else and not itemize it as such on your bill.

Comment

Mmmm... probably it could be a good idea to add a little charge called "PF" on the bill display or something...clients may think is some sort of addition to make the design "cool" and "unique"
              *No Advertising Please*

Comment

There's always the additional Idiot Tax.

blog/portfolio

Comment

There you go...

All in all if there weren't customers who "master the art of designing" we wouldn't have sites like this one, everything is necessary...

*No Advertising Please*

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X