X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping Software?

I have a client that needs some print quality maps that look great when printed on a large format printer.

Does anyone know of any software you can suggest? Vector hopefully. Thanks in advance.

um, adobe illustrator or corel draw?
    Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

I was going to post that, but then I assumed the OP meant they wanted pre-made maps of cities, roads, etc. that hey could buy, use and print, all in vector.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

aren't there some mapping plugins for illustrator? when i was doing them, we always drew our own maps but i think there some packages available. i know they aren't too cheap...

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, the client wants some pre-made maps that can be edited. I haven't heard of any Illustrator Plug-ins, but I'll look around. They don't want to continue to pay for the custom drawing of the maps I've been doing for them, so I told them I'd look around for some pre-made maps.

Comment

I wonder if Navteq or Tele Atlas can sell you vector maps for your needs? I believe those are the suppliers to Google Maps and various mfrs of GPS units.

I wish I could offer more help, but we're simply the pixel providers to mapping companies.

Comment

there's also mapart, by cartesia, now called mapresources.

http://www.mapresources.com/

Comment

Cool link Mojo, thanks!
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I make a lot of maps in my job...
                  We had a few different very expensive Illustrator plug-ins for it. They all SUCKED.
                  Honestly nothing beats just plain old Illy.
                  If you can get vector maps from your government (in Canada they are free now, used to have to pay) that you can break down, making into your layers, adjust and make as you need that is the best way to go about making them.

Or purchase from your city the vectors and then modify as needed. We have also seen that option. Often those files bought will be AutoCAD that converts into Illy. You will have to clean it up and work on it. But it's not too bad.

The one thing ot remember about maps... they are a labour of love. You have to really pay attention to detail and love them. They take forever but when they're done well they are awesome.
                  Our maps are so popular that one hung at a tourism booth at the Olympics this past year! That was very exciting for me.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
                  I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

something i didn't know, on mapresources.com, is that you can pay them to map a place for you, and then provide you with the vector, layered file. that's pretty nifty, and it's royalty-free, they say, for you to use as many times as you wish.

i don't work for them, but i have a nice double-CD of their stuff sitting on my desk at the office. my discs are several years old, but it's good stuff.

and you're right, aude. take your time, remember that you're trying to work for the reader to show them something in particular and make sure your paths are good. ugh. i've edited some craptacular maps in my life...

Comment

I've seen some map resources ones used in yellow pages and the like. They are okay.
                      Just watch they have copyright issues like crazy and you have to run their logo etc. So if those things don't bother you might be worth it. Just don't make the map too small!
                      Number one most common problem I see with maps, you can't read the text!

Ohh... mojo I feel your pain. I've also edited some terrible maps. With too many points on the path, and one time with roads as a huge compound path! When they revamped the roads it was a mess... I just redrew it all. I couldn't take it.
                      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

heh. i'm with you. and what bothers me is when you zoom in, and things are just all over the place, i mean, text is just there -- no attempt even at wrapping it on a curve, just whammo, 15 degree angle. i mean, come on, have an aesthetic of just a little. try to make it look good, even if it is a map.

i'd see gaps where land and water were supposed to meet, stray points (everywhere!) like someone just dragged their pen tool and clicked at random...

it used to drive me insane! (i'm sure you can't tell at all...)

Comment

mojo, I just did a map like that. With a deadline of an hour. Pretty ain't always possible.
                          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

ugh. yikes. sorry, man. you're right, though.

Comment

Yeah, it was one of those cases where I didn't even have time to get annoyed. Until after.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X