Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    skribe
    There are millions of ways you can draw a dragon. Why on earth do you need to basically copy the form of another logo? Besides yours is not even executed as well. Sit down with some paper and a pencil...
    Today, 01:38 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    kemingMatters
    I would elaborate further than turning the bottle portion of your design 90 degrees, but my ideas are my livelihood so I can't just give them away if I want to feed my family and keep a roof over their...
    Today, 01:38 PM
  • HotButton
    HotButton
    Yeah.

Wow....
    Today, 01:08 PM
  • Kool
    Reply to problem putting up a profile picture
    Kool
    Sorry, this forum software has some problems including the one you mentioned. Try uploading the picture to a hosting site and then try it using the link. If that doesn't work post it in this thread and...
    Today, 12:41 PM
  • sybli
    sybli
    As PrintDriver already pointed out, the dragon logo you very obviously based your dragon on, is owned by someone else. But even if it was a free-for-all-uses piece of vector art, do you really want your...
    Today, 12:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Arial

I am working on a HUGE project that involves multiple different indesign documents and charts. The problem is that I work sometimes work on my laptop and my desktop. The files are on my desktop, and I can access them on my laptop over the network. The problem is the Arial font that I am using won't work on both computers. When I open a file on my desktop I get a message that I am missing the Arial Narrow (OTF) Font. I tried to collect the file from the laptop and load the Arial onto the desktop, but it still won't recognize the font. somehow I have several versions of Arial (T1, MT, TT, MT/BM). No matter which computer I am working on, I get an error message about missing an Arial font. Any ideas, this is driving me nuts.
    Everywhere at everytime in the world, the artist has had to be a strong person in order to retain his own individuality.
    -Sergei Shutov, painter

ok...
    questions:
    what OS?
    what are you using for font management?
    what version of Indesign?

Comment

I'm sure that you know this, but there are different versions of the Arial font. If you choose one that doesn't exist on the other computer....there's your error message. I've seen this before, but only when I forget to install a font or two.
      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

The desktop is a mac mini running OS 10.4.11
        The laptop is a Macbook running OS 10.5.8

I am using ID CS3, and fontbook.

I know that there are different versions of Arial, but I can't seem to get it to load. I am collecting the file using the ID package feature from the laptop, and then loading the font that was collected into the Font book on the desktop computer, but when I open the file back up on the desktop, it still tells me it is looking for Arial OFT.
        Everywhere at everytime in the world, the artist has had to be a strong person in order to retain his own individuality.
        -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

Have you restarted the desktop?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Have you checked in Fontbook to see if you have any conflicts (there will be a dot next to the name)?

I would look into something else besides Fontbook for font management. You can try Linotypes Font Explorer (it's free) and works like a champ.
            here's a link:
            http://www.linotype.com/2393/fontexplorer.html
            You could also check your user font folder to see if you have more in there that may be causing the conflict.
            user/home/library/fonts

Comment

Good Question- I just rebooted again to make sure, and still have the same problem.
              -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

you may need to clean your caches as well.
                Try using Applejack, it is also free and does a great job as a Mac maintenance tool.
                here's a link for that:
                http://applejack.sourceforge.net/#top

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                  Have you checked in Fontbook to see if you have any conflicts (there will be a dot next to the name)?

I would look into something else besides Fontbook for font management. You can try Linotypes Font Explorer (it's free) and works like a champ.
                  here's a link:
                  http://www.linotype.com/2393/fontexplorer.html
                  You could also check your user font folder to see if you have more in there that may be causing the conflict.
                  user/home/library/fonts
                  I will try the Linotypes. Yes there is a conflict. When I load the Arial from the laptop, it gives me the dot in the fontbook, so I know there is a conflict, but I am not sure how to resolve it. I am not sure how I ended up with multiple versions of the Arial, but I would like to have one clean set of Arial that will work on both computers. Since this is a very dry informational project, I don't really care which Arial I end up using.
                  -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

Found the problem!

http://objectmix.com/adobe-indesign/...y-leopard.html

It looks like an issue with the OS versions, which kinda sucks. I eventually need to buy a macbook pro to replace my mini, so I didn't want to upgrade the OS for the mini.

Thanks for the help
                    -Sergei Shutov, painter

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X