Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to delete corrupt fonts?

Morning

I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to delete corrupted fonts? At work we use the font DIN - the universitys standard font - but the last few days it has gone and gotten itself corrupt.

It says it is a Type 1 font, the filename is xxx.PFM (example: DINRg___.PFM) and if I choose properties it says "Size: 0 bytes - Size on disk: 4,00 KB". "Attributes: AC".

I can't use it in any applications and if I try to delete it from Start>Control panel>Fonts I get the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

The file names also shows with blue text color in the folder, compared to all the other fonts (that works fine) shows in black...

Have anyone experienced this earlier or does anyone have any idea what I can try?

I'm working on XP without using any "font control applications" (don't know what they're normally called).
    Last edited by ompopo; 12-08-2010, 06:52 AM. Reason: put in extra info

I have a similar issue (sorry I couldn't help ompopo). I see the fonts in Photoshop / Illy under my font list but I can't find them using a search or in my actual Fonts system folder. And when they're selected in my Adobe program, it crashes. I don't know how to delete them when I can't even find them!
    --
    When I buy stickers for folks in prison, I bring milk not backyard meth - it's a prison party!

Comment

I have a similar issue I wanted to clean up fonts that I will never use so I don't have to scroll through a list of 100 worthless fonts, I looked into it a couple of years ago and it seemed like it was not possible on XP.

Comment

Interesting, I'm assuming you've tried the obvious. So perhaps try...

To remove a font from the hard disk, follow these steps:
        1. Click Start, and then click Run.
        2. Type the following command, and then click OK:%windir%\fonts
        3. Click the font that you want to remove. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
        4. On the File menu, click Delete.
        5. When you receive the "Are you sure you want to delete these fonts?" prompt, click Yes.
        Note You can prevent a font from loading without removing it from the hard disk. To do this, move the font from the Windows\Fonts folder to another folder.

Note: If your computer runs Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003, you must be an administrator to add or remove fonts. To verify that you are logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site:http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314960

??

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X