Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to Problem with div help please?
    skribe
    @ vaprarts, I don't think what you are pointing out there is really going to help, because unless I am seriously mistaken, mikhende's site is running on WordPress.

@mikhende, On a typical...
    Today, 08:34 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Database software printing
    skribe
    Welcome Robert,

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.

GDF...
    Today, 07:57 AM
  • Robert1975
    Database software printing
    Robert1975
    Hi guys,
    I'm working in card manufacturing industry, so i'm printing on A4 pvc sheets.
    I'm trying to find a software which can do the followings:
    - arrange on A4 format 10 layouts (2...
    Today, 06:59 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Break points and Responsive design
    lowfatgraphics
    Not for the client, we already have the project.

This issue came up recently when one of our projects was in development. The developers were doing a poor job and I had a lot of back and...
    Today, 01:57 AM
  • garricks
    InDesign data merge adviceā€¦
    garricks
    I've been given the task of creating a directory of doctors, that will be redone twice a year. Tell me if you think this setup is insane, or if there's a better way.

It's sectioned as fo...
    Today, 01:56 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find a job, need some direction.

I'm sure this isn't a new topic, and I'll probably get chewed out by someone for ignoring that nice little search box up there, but I'd really like some advice from my peers right now that's more personal than the archives. Two years ago I lost my job as a graphic designer for a defense contractor, and I have just not been able to recover. I went from having a truly stable job and income, to literally living every month hoping something comes along so I can pay that next bill. I've done freelance work, temp jobs, manual labor, even household chores for friends just to make a buck. You name it, I've done it. When it comes to design work, I can't get enough of it, and have literally put in 16-20 hour days on projects. I've put about 5 years of experience under my belt, and I have a 50+ sample portfolio. Over the course of the last year I've pretty much taken on the assumption that maybe I'm just not cut out for freelance work. I have little experience when it comes to running a business, and know even less about where to find work, or how to get clients. As a result I've been trying to find a full time job working for someone else, but every time someone wants to hire me I'm told, "We'd love to hire you, we just can't." I've applied for easily 500 jobs in the last year, sent emails to far more than that, and I continue to get nowhere. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, but maybe you guys can help. If you want to take a look at some of my work you can check out my portfolio at http://brightbulbdesign.net

Welcome Aboard!!!

Although you didn't use the search button, when you get settled please read through these Very Important threads. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes

·٠•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•٠·

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hey Brightbulb, although I'm not in the same situation as you, per say, although I have just started a business for myself and I can assure you that it's not as scary as it sounds. I'm sure you can look around the web on how to register a name for yourself and work up from there. Once you get everything set up you'll be in the same position as I'm in. Try to get out there and find clients. You can try going to some small shops with a promotional flyer (something I'm trying to get started) on some of the things you've done and the services you can offer them. Go through a strip mall and just promote yourself.

I know there are some initial costs but I'm sure if you hand out 10 flyers you'll land at least one job. Who knows there may be more work for you with that company.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I'm sure things will pick up.
        Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
          Hey Brightbulb, although I'm not in the same situation as you, per say, although I have just started a business for myself and I can assure you that it's not as scary as it sounds. I'm sure you can look around the web on how to register a name for yourself and work up from there. Once you get everything set up you'll be in the same position as I'm in. Try to get out there and find clients. You can try going to some small shops with a promotional flyer (something I'm trying to get started) on some of the things you've done and the services you can offer them. Go through a strip mall and just promote yourself.

I know there are some initial costs but I'm sure if you hand out 10 flyers you'll land at least one job. Who knows there may be more work for you with that company.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I'm sure things will pick up.
          You know, to be entirely honest I had never even considered that. The saddest part is I literally have everything I would need to create my own marketing collateral, all the way down to a full-bleed photo printer.

Comment

Haha well there ya go, you're in a better spot then me. You don't even need to pay for printing.

Make a mini pamphlet and just go store-hoping (much less fun than bar-hoping). You would be surprised as to how many small shops just need the tiniest thing. Some people do it themselves but if you try and sell yourself a bit and tell them how some quality work can bring them some better clients you may land yourself some more jobs.

We all have to start somewhere and I think this is the perfect opportunity. That's what I eventually want to do, I want to be my own boss, with my own company, with my own employees. I have a full time job right now as a graphic artist and one day I'm going to have to make the transition to working for myself full-time but right now I'm just building up the clients.

You really have nothing to lose, besides some ink and paper. Go to a shopping mall and hand-out your brochures and I bet you can land some clients.

Comment

I'll try that, I guess the best place to start would be to actually get my identity squared away(I don't like it as it is now).

Comment

What do you mean squared away?

And do you have a logo right now up and running? If so, you've already got a head start.

Comment

I do but I created it about a year and a half ago, and have pretty much grown to dislike it.

Comment

Yeah funny how that happens with Logos... Don't worry,

www.empyredesignsolutions.com

That's my company's logo/website. We wanted something simple so we picked that but we plan on re-doing once we get some bloody time on our hands. We're working on 2 websites right now so we're a bit busy.

I was hoping to get it up before xmas but that's quite near impossible lol. You can always come up with something simple for now, it makes a difference when you at least have something to show clients. It seems more professional. You can always refine it in the near future.

Comment

Lol the logo looks pretty boring on the black background, but on our business cards it looks pretty nice

Comment

Yeah I'd like to see that website in action...What CMS are you using?

Comment

We're not using one, we both know web design actually. I've never used a CMS before but a lot of clients ask for them. One of our web developers we hire for contract work knows it to set one up so I've got that covered.

I'll let you know when the website is up and running... I wish I had a picture of my business card so you can see there was actually some thought into our overall branding lol instead of just text on black

I promise it's better than that haha

Comment

Lol don't worry about it, I believe you.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X