Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello There
    KitchWitch
    Hi Missybunnie and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 04:53 PM
  • msw3825
    Reply to Pantone, CMYK question for printing using Illustrator CS6
    msw3825
    Printing Rule # 1: If the final piece is to be printed, always use CMYK or Pantone color swatches never RGB or web hexadecimal codes.

Printing Rule #2: If you are designing several pieces...
    Today, 04:49 PM
  • Designia
    Reply to Client wants both designs
    Designia
    Me three....
    Today, 04:37 PM
  • missybunnie
    Hello There
    missybunnie
    I'm a freelance web designer who does custom illustrations and basic graphic design (i.e. business cards, letterhead). I'm self taught and I have been looking for a community to help give me exposure...
    Today, 04:24 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Things that jerk my chain...
    <b>
    Yeah, I definitely hate the hackers and thieves that make the world a worse place than it needs to be.

Even so, I'm still perturbed at Apple for making mandatory security features that incorrectly...
    Today, 03:43 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Adobe Creative Suite and I have a question

Hi, I have been working with a rag tag group of older versions of Adobe stuff and I am finally ready to move up and get the full new versions (my versions are to old to update.)

I have been checking the internet very regularly for pricing and I have consistently come up with one dealer that has exceptional pricing, they have great reviews (although I have heard that some of these reviews on these reviewing websites are generated by computers.) They also have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau for what that may be worth. The pricing on this is pretty low (actually really low.) It is a full version and it is supposedly the disc version and the original packaging....all that good stuff.

So my question is has anyone on here done any business with an internet company called Software Media.

(If this post is against the rules sorry please delete, I am not trying advertise for the company, just trying to see if there is anyone who has directly had any business with this company. I do not presently know anyone that has purchased something from the company.)

If you have had any experience with this company let me know.

Thanks
    Jim

Rule of thumb: If it's too good to be true then it usually is.

A lot of these places offer Education prices, where the EULA in some countries prohibit the use for commercial purposes. And they could also be bootleg versions. Or OEM versions that Adobe probably won't offer customer support should something go wrong.

You're better off just buying from a reputable Adobe dealer or directly from Adobe.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Ask Adobe if they are a licensed reseller.

Comment

I've never used them but they look legit. They aren't offering those crazy low OEM type prices.

Comment

Sounds a bit iffy - seems to be done through Adobe Transaction Licensing Programme.

I'd contact Adobe and ask about this.

Comment

Hey thanks for the fast response. I have found a couple of place I know for sure are legit and I have used them before for other products, but they are maybe 10-15% off. This pricing would allow me to purchase the software with the Total Training (not sure if that is worth it) but the price would still be below the lower end of the average...with the total training package.

I was under the understanding that Adobe did not answer questions about retailers. I am glad to know that do. I will contact them.

I really am hesitant to purchase things like this (especially worth so much) without some reasurrance, because I have already found several of the dealers that appeared to be legit, to not be legit. It is also amazing how long some of these companies that are selling improperly licensed software can remain in business and how they can have such "great reviews."

Thanks for the info so far and if anyone else know much about these guys let me know.

Comment

As I say, better off just ordering from the Adobe site if you have any doubts at all. At least you can be sure

Comment

OEM Versions?

I just saw this post and was interested because I'm looking to by the creative suite but can't pay full price. I was going to take a design class at a local college so I could get educational pricing (and I could probably use a refresher class anyway). This thread brought up two questions.

1) Can I not use the educational version for freelance work?
                2) Are the OEM versions legit? I could care less about support from adobe if I could get the Master Suite for $350. Here's a link to one version I found that looks legit. *link removed*
                Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

In the US, educational versions can be used for commercial purposes.

You just might care about having support when you're having issues with the program and can't figure out how to fix them. It does happen.

blog/portfolio

Comment

be careful with those OEM versions. i was stupid and broke one time and got one, and it was legit as far as serial numbers and all were concerned, but it was a UK version. now, that's not the end of the world but our brothers across the pond use some different spellings -- it not only changed the interface but the dictionary -- and i couldn't change the default dictionary. so, caveat emptor.
                    Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

What about re-sale of versions on eBay. I looked into some there and they seem great - decent price, serial # intact (take it on faith), etc...
                      ChadM - Photographer
                      ELITE IMAGE

Comment

Warning...Warning...Warning

Since I put up the question about softwaremedia I wanted to say that after further review I am definitely not going to purchase from them. The consumer ratings are outstanding, but I found this http://university.generalpatent.com/real-chutzpah

I know Microsoft can be suit happy at times in the attempt or need to protect their intellectual properties, but two major suits for similar practices, just makes me nervous and hugely suspicious. I think as suggested I will just find the best price at an Adobe Authorized dealer...interesting also after searching the list of Authorized dealers the prices were all within 100 bucks of each other (and the Adobe price on their website)...no substantial discounts. This gives me sad face a bit, because like everyone else I love a good deal, but I have bought software that has not been what was suppose to be once in the past and I certainly don't need that with an $1800 purchase.

So unless someone knows for sure of a legit authorized deal with an "amazing" deal @_@. I will be plunking down the big bucks.

Thanks for the info.
                        Jim

Comment

I bought a brand new iMac last fall and splurged for Illustrator while at the Apple store. Then just a couple weeks back I went and bought Photoshop as well, but I only buy my software from the Apple store for the most part.

Software is one of those things I want to work flawlessly so I'd rather pay a bit more up front and have support if I need it, but more than anything, have software that I know is going to work as seamless as possible.
                          tmooregraphics
                          Horsepower For Your Business!
                          Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by YNOT View Post
                            I bought a brand new iMac last fall and splurged for Illustrator while at the Apple store. Then just a couple weeks back I went and bought Photoshop as well, but I only buy my software from the Apple store for the most part.

Software is one of those things I want to work flawlessly so I'd rather pay a bit more up front and have support if I need it, but more than anything, have software that I know is going to work as seamless as possible.

This is actually a really good point. How much hassle are you willing to deal with to save 50%??
                            ChadM - Photographer
                            ELITE IMAGE

Comment

Originally posted by cmcderm1 View Post
                              This is actually a really good point. How much hassle are you willing to deal with to save 50%??
                              When it comes to running a business, none. I can see it now; burning the midnight oil to make deadline, all go/no-go points long past... and... that's when something screwy happens.

No thanks. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Buying the appropriate equipment is the price of doing business. What is the point of being penny-wise and pound-foolish? If you are running a business, the software is a deductible business expense, and one hopes one could make back the cost in a single project, if not 2 or 3.
                              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X