Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• BillyLogan
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    BillyLogan
    Great work! My only concern is that it does not seem to have a focus subject on it. Add something really cool or highlight something you want to emphasize. Aside from that, I find it really artistically...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    BillyLogan
    Designing is both a skill and a talent. It is naturally God-given but you can study about it some more to enhance it. I suggest that you go and study first about the basics, line, color, typography and...
    Today, 01:43 AM
  • megoggsc
    Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    This is something fun I did to remember my trip to Portland!...
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Howdy from Texas!
    Buda
    What is the project and what is the product? Most companies protect their copyright quite vigourously. Even if you don't get caught, there's always a chance.

Could your project be considered...
    Yesterday, 11:46 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Education consultancy logo
    Buda
    I prefer the first design concept, it just needs a bit more style to get it looking less generic.

This one's wings look like deformed human hands.
    Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bachelors or associates?

Hi. I'm currently working on an associates degree in graphics design and plan to get a bachelors in computer science so I can combine the two and be both a web developer and web designer. I don't think I should get a masters degree and if I did I would only do it after I get some work experience in the industry because I'm afraid I would look overqualified and unappealing to employers if I had 1+ bachelors and a masters degree with no work experience in the industry.

I do plan to at least complete a bachelors in computer science and I do want some graphic design education too, but I'm not sure what kind of graphic design degree I should seek. I would like a bachelors and it probably wouldn't take much more time to get another bachelors than an associates, but it would be cheaper and also easier because of proximity to get an associates than a bachelors. Would having two bachelors degrees make me look overqualified to employers? Would it be better to complete my associates, then get a masters in graphic design eventually than just complete a bachelors in graphic design? I'm already halfway through getting an associates in graphic design, so I'm not sure if I should switch to another college that offers a bachelors in design (mine only offers an associates) instead or not.

I thought maybe since it's cheaper where I am currently going to college to finish an associates, I should just do that to save money for my bachelors in computer science, but I'm wondering if that's the best combo or not...

If I want to be both a designer AND developer, would I need a bachelors in both? Just wondering what some professionals in the industry would say...

If I can manage to put together a good design portfolio, would it even matter which type of degree(s) I get?
    Last edited by dorito; 05-04-2011, 04:36 AM.
Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
Working...
X