Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    PrintDriver
    Quite honestly?
    It's a cover for a project you've been working on.
    Because we do not know what your project was that is using this cover, there is no way to know if it works or not.
    Today, 11:10 AM
  • captain spanky
    Reply to Stickers
    captain spanky
    As far as sticker printers go... i can fully recommend http://stickerobot.com ...cheap and the quality is by far the best i've had. Some stickers i did nearly 8 years ago are still stuck out and about...
    Today, 09:22 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop effect

Hi everyone

I came across a photoshop effect on the internet and I have no idea how they created it. Don't know if it has a certain name so googling it wasn't really succesfull either. Hope you guys can help me out! This is the effect:

Big thanks!
    Sander

Welcome to the forum Sander. We ask all new members to read the forum rules posted here and here. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes

There are two major effects going on, emboss/deboss and a textured background.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

They look like printed pieces... do you have a link to these?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
        There are two major effects going on, emboss/deboss and a textured background.
        Just to expand on what gar said...

The texture in the first one is "Canvas" with emboss, the second one looks like it's just set to multiply with pillow emboss/deboss.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the info about the rules guys. You think emboss/deboss is everything it is? I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I get home.

@eugenetyson, they look like printed pieces, but I'm sure they're not. That's why I like them so much. I will not put a link to the images on the board out of respect for the owner of the website.

Big thanks!
          Sander

Comment

There's also planar distortion, lens blur with some lighting tweaks. Nicely done, I might add.

Comment

I've been trying to get the same effect, but getting the texture on the logo itself is really hard. Cutting the texture of the background in the same shape and putting it on top of the logo in overlay or something, just makes it cheesy
              and fake. Anybody suggestions?

Comment

You could convert your logo to B&W and use it as a distort filter on the texture layer. Then set the logo (as pure color, no texture) to overlay on top of that.

In this specific case, they used two linen textures, the logo has a different one, with layer effects Bevel & Emboss and a subtle drop shadow.

Comment

You don't have to cut the texture out. If your logo is already cut out, you can place the texture layer directly above it and option click on the line between layers to create a layer mask that is always determined by the layer below it (or alt click I assume on the PC).

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

The way I see it:

→ Flat logo on white background (2 layers)

→ Using the transform controls, right-click and choose "perspective" to transform. Skew accordingly.

→ Add Emboss + canvas texture to logo

→ Use either a built-in texture or a texture photo for the background

→ Create vignette blur (on your own or otherwise) over the whole image

Most of what gives it that nice shine is the attention to detail, light source, perspective, and textures. It's wonderfully done.
                    ♪ Butterfly in the sky,
                    I can go twice as high.
                    Take a look,
                    It's in a book,
                    A Reading Rainbow ♫

Reading Rainbow...

Comment

Ok, are you sure that this is a photoshop effect? because it looks like a picture.

Assuming this is photoshop work their's more that meets the eye to reach that quality of work.
                      >soft brushing
                      >highlighting
                      >textures
                      >for the logo is concerned you MIGHT have to remake draw it in that direction it's really hard to get that level of quality with the transform tool in PS, they probably did it in illy.
                      >then obviously blurring probably used the blur brush
                      >levels to bring out the the blacks and highlights

I feel like this is a photo that's simply been edited but it's not impossible to do that it's just many different techniques that are used to create it because of the orientation of text and logo.

If you want me to give it a go i could try and show you how if you want. just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by ankz View Post
                        Ok, are you sure that this is a photoshop effect? because it looks like a picture.
                        I'm positive that, at the very least, the "embroidered" style is a texture in Photoshop (maybe Illy, but I don't know if Illy has layer texture overlays).

How can I tell? The way the 'grain' of the embroidery doesn't follow the shape of the logo. If it were actual embroidery the grain would be horizontal to the logo. Also, there are only a few variations in the shades of the 'embroidery,' (light, medium, dark) whereas in a normal embroidery photo, there would quite a few shade variations. Also in such a closeup high-def photo, we should see small fibers sticking out, which there are none. The whole image is just too perfect to be real.
                        ♪ Butterfly in the sky,
                        I can go twice as high.
                        Take a look,
                        It's in a book,
                        A Reading Rainbow ♫

Reading Rainbow...

Comment

I don't buy it...there are a lot of very small inconsistencies for those to be shopped. the printed looking one has a bunch of random little flecks of black throughout the entire thing. Different sizes, shapes, etc. for it to be a computer generated texture. It's a photo of something that has been printed/embossed. It's not a render.

As for the embroidered one...the 'grain' (as marcella) called it is following the the texture of the background. meets up where where the spaces between the fibers would be (Audi is an avid stitcher, and I see all of her projects, so I'm fairly well versed in what to look for in terms of fabric and threads). Also, the threads have random little pulls, pills and other such things that you typically find in threads. Again, I'd bet that it's something that was actually embroidered, then photographed.
                          Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                          | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                          | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

I would bet 100% they are not real. All the little details you expect to see are there, because they're hi-res textures being used. I'm certain it's not actual embroidery because the letters are PERFECTLY smooth. You should start to see the outline of threads on the edge of each letter, but it's not the case.

http://www.cws-media.nl/portfolio/planhet/

EDIT: I found this website showing it's part of somebody's portfolio. I don't think the graphic designer did 7 color embroidery work for an identity proposal. There are hi-res versions there showing my above point more clearly. Also the lens blur effect on the letters and background diverge, it looks like the "t" has a fuzzy shadow around it which is not natural.
                            Last edited by VDM; 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1153671(texture)

^^^^ the texture is probably grabbed from an image not made from scratch.
                              I see what you mean.
                              Maybe combining these two tutorials along with some illy manipulation for the text and logo you can come up with the effect your looking for .
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpQ_jIqMwA
                              (for this video, what i would do instead of using photoshop's shadows and stuff, i would just draw it in with a white hard brush and a black hard brush then erase when necessary and add soft brushing when necessary also)
                              http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/de...n-with-stains/(apply texture like they did here)

I doubt everything is completely made from scratch in PS like the texture but then again i could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X