No announcement yet.

How I lost interest in graphic design - want to regain my interest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But because the world is in such a desperate shortage of graphic designers, if we can save just ONE potential new designer from losing interest in this field, any amount of time and effort we put into the effort of rekindling the will to continue along the designer path must surely be absolutely worth it!

Um... right?

Comment

good point
      ok you win Mr B
      *rolls over and dies with feet in air*
      Last edited by Rachel B; 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
        rolls over and dies with feet in air
        We refer to this position at our home as the 'dead fly' pose.

We've used it on occasion when certain relatives or guests come for a 'short' visit and refuse to leave at a reasonable time.

Comment

tZ said it perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
            We refer to this position at our home as the 'dead fly' pose.

We've used it on occasion when certain relatives or guests come for a 'short' visit and refuse to leave at a reasonable time.
            Does it work?
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If they're picking on you personally - that shouldn't affect your future as a designer. You get to choose who you hang out with. If you don't like them, leave them and move on.

If they're critiquing your work, and being harsh about it - Get used to it. If their feedback and criticisms seem valid, learn from it. As a designer, you will ALWAYS be getting critiqued and criticized. Don't ever take it personal! You need to learn how to listen, and apply the feedback to your work. They're criticizing your work, not you.

Quite honestly, the issue you're having will be problematic in any field. Some people are just dicks. You're going to be around them at some point no matter what you do. Don't let them bring you down, or scare you away from what you want to do.

Comment

Let me add some more details. I didn't have any friends before I started this course either. I was always struggling with my trouble socializing and bullies throughout high school. I started this course and really started to feel good about myself for the first time in a really long time, since before high school actually. The people I got along with who I thought would eventually become my friends made me feel this happy, along with my interest in graphic design. I was finally starting to change, talk more and come out of my shell. I thought my miserable loner life was going to finally end...

Now, I'm starting over with these new classmates. I hope it's more clear now that it's not just "former friends picking on me."

Comment

I kind of got that feeling from your first post, that there was a lot more than just this one time. When you discover the place in you where it doesn't matter whether people are your friends or not, and believe me it's there, in your heart, then the irony is that people start coming to you. But you have to find this, because if you're miserable your life sucks. And people won't want to be around a miserable person.
                  A really great way to do this is cultivate a love affair with your work. Be so into what you're doing that it fulfills you. You have to work to get there, it doesn't just magically happen. And stop calling / thinking of yourself as miserable.
                  Just drop all that.

Jeez louise, who am I? Dear Abby?

Comment

The question I believe you have to ask yourself is how bad do you want to design. If you really want to design, then do so. There will always be people out there who are negative. You just have to make sure your not one of them. The only thing that keeps people from being successful is themselves. It's time to get back to work.

Comment

Hiya Perpetual Welcome Aboard.

Hop on over to the Intro thread and we can all give you an official welcome

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KitchWitch
                        Reply to Illustrator - Recolouring a vector remains in grayscale
                        KitchWitch
                        Hi Keluitry and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                        Today, 07:39 AM
                      • KitchWitch
                        Reply to Career advice
                        KitchWitch
                        Hi Virindi and welcome to GDF.

I agree with PD, job titles differ from one place to another now. The word associate could mean you're a junior-level designer, or it could mean you're a partner...
                        Today, 07:36 AM
                      • KitchWitch
                        Reply to Copyright question - images taken from other websites
                        KitchWitch
                        I'm not a lawyer and not in Australia, so I can only tell you what I would do here in the U.S. I would contact both websites asking permission to use those photos and how they would like them credited....
                        Today, 07:31 AM
                      • mixlikes
                        Reply to What do you think about my new web site?
                        mixlikes
                        The website is good with high download speed. As well site is neat and clean.
                        Today, 07:14 AM
                      • PrintDriver
                        Reply to Career advice
                        PrintDriver
                        Titles mean nothing any more. When little Johnny's mummy and daddy are calling his boss after 6 months wondering why little Johnny hasn't been promoted yet, job titles tend to get created. (No joke. I've...
                        Today, 06:21 AM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X