Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jessica21
    Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    jessica21
    Hello All,

Background:
    I am making a logo for my boyfriend's tea company, Starlight Tea. It sells high quality loose leaf tea, will have a website, and be in a local cafe (it's more...
    Today, 05:52 AM
  • Buda
    How to cut down on meetings?
    Buda
    I have a client who I am going to design a book for. I met with her about 4-5 months ago to discuss. She emails me each month to tell me she hasn't advanced any further on the project. She's been overseas...
    Today, 05:25 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    skribe
    It sounds to me like you are hitting a retina issue. When I look at your site the graphics look fine to me on my 25" monitor. I just googled "SquareSpace Retina Support" and quickly...
    Today, 05:24 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to First job out of college, totally overwhelmed and need advice
    Buda
    I have to add, please ask questions if you are unsure. Even confirmation is good so that you know you are on track.

I have a junior designer that never asks questions. He just battles through...
    Today, 04:38 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    Buda
    I agree with b, make the images the size you require, then save for web choosing a fairly high setting if that is important to you.
    Today, 04:34 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input needed on how much to charge

I've been asked to design fabric to be used for dog collars. I'll be using Illustrator to create the designs. Should I charge a flat fee per design and then a percentage of each collar sale? Any thoughts or suggestions?

It depends. Most of the time for design work the client owns the designs, so you wouldn't have any right to any money from sales. You may be able to get the contract worded so that you do, but honestly I'd just come up with a price per design and be done with it.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Hi Greys Design and welcome to GDF.

Here is some info specifically why we don't discuss pricing here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.

How you charge is up to you, but I personally wouldn't accept any payment based on sales.

Your client may have a budget and a pricing plan in mind already. That would probably have more bearing than what any of us say.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

<sigh>
        Either sell them the art outright or use a Rights Managed licensing system.
        If you use RM, you have to come up with a stiffer contract but if they sell the first licensing, they get to pay you again to use it for a second run.
        Unless you are an employee. If you are, the design is theirs for your hourly wage.

Seriously, freelancers doing illustrative art need to understand it's a bit different from regular graphic design. Find some resources in the "how to sell your art" section of whatever you use for books these days.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X