Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I just compared the two Hospice Benefits infographics and you didn't really change much with the layout. You just added some drop shadows and some more colors to it. I think you need more subheads and...
    Today, 02:18 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    <b>
    I was pretty much going to write what PrintDriver already wrote, so I'll just agree with him instead.

In addition, there's also a tendency for some people to inflate things a bit when they're...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    PrintDriver
    What are your education and skill levels?

Remember the salaries listed at salaries.com and even aiga.org are based on respondents to surveys. Quite often you will find with surveys that people...
    Today, 12:49 AM
  • TomMonTom
    Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    TomMonTom
    It's really difficult to price ones ability when offers come in way bellow whatever average there is for the amount of experience anyone seems to have. I'm trying to figure out a good rate is and if any...
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Alright then, thank you all for your answers
    Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group projects have also taught the extroverted slacker/idiots that they can leach credit from the hardworking introverts.

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
      Group projects should be banned from educational curriculums except as first-hand demonstrations of how committees usually fail at what they're tasked to do.
      I'm pretty sure the only reason group projects are in curriculums is because it's a "few birds, one stone" approach to grading for the instructor.

<instructor to a class of 25>Now everybody in get in groups of five</instructor to a class of 25>
      <really saying> I'm cutting my workload by 80% so I can cut out for a few pints</really saying>
      Last edited by kemingMatters; 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Totally agree with <b> and Bob's posts.

The group projects I had in school were the most frustrating, time wasting experiences I had as a student. The only thing I learned was that students can't lead student groups. You need someone with experience to take the helm. Also, students don't have the balls to tell each other they're wrong or need to do something different - they were incapable leaders, which means unless the instructor intervenes, the project is screwed at the first sign of trouble. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being nice, but in a group environment, somebody needs to have the capacity of standing up and leading the group when things get tough. In my experience, students can't do that - I'm not sure if they should be expected to or not either.

Comment

It's an unreasonable expectation. They're emulating work colleagues, but most are stuck as, more than anything else -- social peers. And it's a reflection of how our cultures define and 'reward' leadership. Often placing social likability far above real skills, credentials or measurable performance in terms of value to the organization or project goal.

Then why do so many teachers love and assign it?

Makes for an easier marking work load would be my main guess.
          Last edited by Bob; 03-20-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
            I'm pretty sure the only reason group projects are in curriculums is because it's a "few birds, one stone" approach to grading for the instructor.

<instructor to a class of 25>Now everybody in get in groups of five</instructor to a class of 25>
            <really saying> I'm cutting my workload by 80% so I can cut out for a few pints</really saying>
            I'd *like* to think that a professor/instructor won't simply give a blanket grade to a given group, but will give individual grades based on how each person performed within the group. This may be difficult for some projects if most or all of the work was done outside the classroom, but any teacher worth his weight in salt will meet with each group as the project progresses and observe who's actually doing work and who's leeching off their peers. I know, I know... in a perfect world and all...

blog/portfolio

Comment

On every group project I had in college, we had to write a peer review on each other's participation, and attitude towards the project in general.
              "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

I'm reading Susan Cain's book that's on the bestseller list right now called Quiet. It's a book about introverts and the dynamics of being introverted in a society dominated by extroverts.

There are entire chapters in it mostly slamming the trend in education toward group projects. There are other chapters about the inefficiencies of meetings and committees that provide platforms for extroverts to talk and promote their ideas while the introverts quietly just get their work done. In the end, the extroverts, because of their expansive personalities, often end up taking credit for whatever work the introverts manage to get done despite the incompetence of the extrovert-dominated committee.

Before the book was released, The New York Times published an article by Cain titled The Rise of New Groupthink. I definitely recommend reading this article.

Comment

That's funny <b> because I was thinking of Susan Cain when I wrote a lot of these responses. Here's a nice little video about the subject of intro/extrovert on TED:
                  http://tinyurl.com/75fgpyt

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian86 View Post
                    On every group project I had in college, we had to write a peer review on each other's participation, and attitude towards the project in general.
                    ...a lesson in office politics suddenly appears...

Peer review is moot if friendship (alliances) exists and/or the manager/instructor bears no witness to the workings of the group.
                    Last edited by kemingMatters; 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM.
                    Design is not decoration.

Comment

It seems like most of the lessons learned in group projects (politics, taking credit for others work/not getting credit for your work, unfair grading, committees suck, and so on), although important lessons, they seem more along the lines of what you quickly learn in the real world than what you typically learn in an academic setting.

Comment

I had a person kicked out of a group one time in college. They failed. Period. but we had to take it up with academic board or some shit before our instructor would do it.

The thing is I sometimes say that those people would be fired if it was a real work situation. But I've been in work situations where the 'team' I had to work with was so pathetic I just did it all And in the end someone almost always notices. That is how you get promotions and move forward in my opinion. You take charge when you need to. Or you do your own thing and turn it in independently (if you are more introverted). For me sitting back and watching the horror unfold has only caused me to loose credibility and integrity for not stepping in to resolve the situation.
                        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I've just finished reading the book East of Eden by John Steinbeck and was going through my highlights. This is one of them and made me think of this thread.

Originally posted by East of Eden
                          Our species is the only creative species, and it has only one creative instrument, the individual mind and spirit of a man. Nothing was ever created by two men. There are no good collaborations, whether in music, in art, in poetry, in mathematics, in philosophy. Once the miracle of creation has taken place, the group can build and extend it, but the group never invents anything. The preciousness lies in the lonely mind of a man.
                          I think there can be good collaborations, but school projects aren't one of them.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

And yet... collaboration is the essence what work, and society is built on. Maybe. When you think about it. While looking out the window at another brain-meltingly long production meeting... ooh, a bluejay!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X