Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to HI!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF George

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Typography resources.
    BillyLogan
    Thanks for sharing! I'v been looking for this on the web for hours for my next project and here it is!
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R, I have a DS Lite and a DSix (larger pixel-screen version of the DSi).

For concept sketching I use the DSi's system app called FlipNote , which is supposed to be for animation, but I use it like a notebook library with each animation file a bunch of frames on one topic. It's limited to black, white, red and blue -- pick 2 only. Well thought out controls though, anf like I said, ideal for forcing simplified thinking. Frames can be saved to the DSi's SD card as GIFs or animations -- AVI, I think?

For ideas OR sketching -- on the DSi I use another animation app called Inchworm, which I purchased online from Nintendo for about $6. Again, I use the frames as sketchbook pages, but in inchworm things are far more feature filled -- full colour support, up to six layers, larger than screen image size and a whole lot more. But there's a brush type/size/opacity setting that works very well as a pencil.

A 'side app' I sometimes use on the DSi is Art Academy, which is kind of an automated art lessons app -- but has a free dra mode with a pencil and paint action that feels quite good.

For the DS Lite -- which was my first DS, I also have Art Academy but because I have a DS 'Cart' that allows you to play 'homebrew' on the DS and save files to a microSD, I prefer to use three other apps: DSNotes, Animanatee, and Colors.

DSNote is pretty much what you would guess from its title -- a lot like FlipNote in toolset, except it's ONLY B&W and not animation.

Animanatee is a very awesome little animation app for the DS that has a ton of advanced features -- including, the use of the DS Lite's 'unofficial' pressure sensitivity stylus. You can actually get fairly expressive 'ink' calligraphic lines in this.

I'd use the DS Lite more but one of my paddle switches is dead. I replaced one already and I have the replacement for this one, but my eyes are now too old to do this rather micro-soldering job. I might just buy another DS Lite instead. Lots of cheap, refurbs out there.

But the real 'painting' app king of the DS line has to be 'Colors'. It's the only other drawing app with pressure support. It's also just release for the 3DS -- making it, I believe, the first 'homebrew' app to ever crossover to commercial. The 3DS doesn't have a pressure stylus, so it will be a little different. But the big thing is that you will be able to draw in 3D -- which sounds cool.

For the 3DS version of colors check out:
    http://colorslive.com/downloads_3ds.php

In case you're wondering what level of art is achievable with these low-level 'toy' units and software, here's some examples: http://colorslive.com/

There's a landscape painter who specializes in DS Colors that I'll find for you, who's absolutely awesome.

Comment

That a pretty cool site!

I like that you can watch the animation as they draw the artwork, it's cool to see people's technique and how they arrive at their final piece. It's also pretty crazy that the 3DS version allows you to create even the detailed pieces in 3D! There was one on their in particular called "Elva" that I thought was very nicely done and according to the poster the rain drops are on 5 depth levels so that on the 3DS it appears that "Elva" is placed in 3 dimensional rain.

I think I will look more into that program. I would really like to use our 3DS, it's been killing me that we spent so much for it and it doesn't even get used. I'll just have to claim it as my own and put it to good use

Now the only thing I have to do is figure out how to get my 3DS connected to my internet connection... the 3DS doesn't support WPA2 encryption and I'm not sure whether it even supports Wireless N or not either which is what my home connection is (N only). I'll have to see if there is a method to connect it with a wired connection, hmmm... Either way thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Oh yeah forgot to mention that on the "more" for entries this week, the piece titled "Fallen Faith" was extremely impressive to me knowing how small the 3DS screen is. That's A LOT of detail... these people must be as near sighted as I am!

Comment

Ah, here he is. Munin! From the midlands, in the UK.

This is stuff posted on the colors site:
          http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=2108

And here's his blog:
          http://munin-sketchblog.blogspot.ca/

He's the artist they used in the first Colors 3D preview art.

An interesting guy. Says he never had the patience or time for traditional painting but that once he got hooked on the DS and Colors, he realized he didn't need to worry so much about toting all the gear, and having it 'there' made such a difference.

It's truly an amazing level of work considering what he works with. Inspires me, that's for sure!

And really... another great example of it doesn't really matter what the tool is, the most important part is the artist behind it.

As for the detail, the Colors screen is actually a zoom out of a larger screen than the DS can display in full. But it has zoom tools.

Nearsighted? Man, right now I'm really struggling with my denial that I should be fully in bifocals. I find life drawing extremely frustrating with my current eyeglasses because I can see the drawing fine without glasses, but only blurs for distance. I wish that they'd hurry up with those electronic bifocals I've seen videos of.
          Last edited by Bob; 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

In college - in order to get myself out of a drawing rut - I did a series of drawings with anything but traditional art supplies. Sticks and ink, fingers, crayons, mud, it was great.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Suddenly I feel like the heathen of the group by saying my preferred weapon of choice is a fine-tip Sharpie...

But, if I had to use a pencil, I tend to prefer my mechanical drafting pencil with 2H lead (10/0? Or was it 2/0?).
              ~People like me are the reason people like you take medication~
              Portfolio

Comment

Sharpies, bless them, are excellent tools for ideation. My go-to fave for shorthand idea work with other creatives and the increasingly rare client who can interpret and not get freaked out by visual thinking shorthand ("But that's a stick figure! That type is barely legible! That's not our logo!").

But for my solo-ideation work I now prefer 'primitive' digital for keeping things in 'line' (nyuk), and safely portable.

And I do realize that this thread was intended to be a graphite-based tool discussion, but I confess that occasionally, we have been known to wander off topic around here.

But that's exactly what's weak about graphite too! It's seductively easy in just about any form of the stuff, to get carried off to that sensual world of smooth tone transitions. Just the stuff for modelling large, gently undulating smooth forms, such as.... snowballs.

Keeping things in 'line' and in solid black and white usually helps keep things graphical. So many of the great graphic design pieces in history were germinated in that binary bed of solid, thick, rough black on white.

It's a rough trade.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
                  In college - in order to get myself out of a drawing rut - I did a series of drawings with anything but traditional art supplies. Sticks and ink, fingers, crayons, mud, it was great.
                  My lifetime drawing media challenge was a poster drawn with a constantly crumbling supply of wild mushroom stems. Ink? The cap of the mushrooms themselves. The 'shaggy inkcap' actually used to be used in pioneer times as a source of very dark brown ink. (A smelly source, I might add)

Comment

When I do life drawing sessions, I prefer sharpie. I prefer making strong confident lines rather than pansy pussyfooting around pencil sketches.

I don't think I've used mushrooms or food to draw with. Macaroni art not included.
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                      I use whatever I can find on my desk.
                      That's what I do. I always remember...they are sketches, not a final output. I find that a pen requires me to be confident in my lines and really understand and "pet" my lines in. I find that practice is beginning to see dividends in my pencil drawings.
                      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

There's a great book out called "Thinking slow and fast" that I think covers a lot of what goes on in creative development-- though, oddly enough, not specifically, or even in most examples. It's the division between quick creative, and refined creative. Two major modes that we rely on 'mixing' to get great design results.

To that end, for good sketching you want to facilitate speed, a certain amount of randomness, and to essentially keep the slow thinking side out of the way or distracted. Skipping pens, expensive sketching paper? A drawing tool that suggests too many side possibilities of rendering enhancements, or demands more times to do basic tone blocking, etc? No. It's time to get it down -- and dirty. Big, bold and basic. And no baggage from the over-rational, analytic side of the brain.

Comment

^^^^ True dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have found that if you can "shut off" your brain and let your eyes connect to your hand...you are much better off. Thoughts lead to others lead to thought convolusion (Spelling?). Once your brain becomes confused, your image is screwed. LOL
                          "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf29a View Post
                            Thoughts lead to others lead to thought convolusion (Spelling?)
                            See? You're halfway there! [g]

But that's another side effect of fast thinking. Which, by the way, is not to be the exclusive mode for creative thinking -- it's just the one everybody gets excited and stupid about. (Improv is always more exciting at least, than careful, deliberate, experienced calculation.)

Ever notice in a truly creative meeting how people often forget even BASIC vocabulary, or grammar? It's like you've got this little ape inside you just bustin' to run around the room and go 'Ooo, ooo!' and throw little bits of office stationery about.

"And then, and then we could take some... some... some of those leggy things you sit on, see?"

You mean... chairs?

"Yeah! And then, and then we could..."

Comment

Apparently you have been sitting in conversations between my wife and I. We have entire conversations without ever, truly, saying the correct words. But, yet...we still comprehend the whole thing. LOL

LMAO @ "leggy things"

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X