Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrestoArts
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PrestoArts
    So help me understand if you don't mind me further pestering you all. I like the "concept" of a dragon wrapping around a word. I've done some sketches trying different things. Am I in the wrong...
    Today, 01:15 AM
  • paulw_69
    Reply to Project Ideas. HELP!
    paulw_69
    That actually helps a lot! For some reason I never thought of using a thesaurus, that should help!
    Today, 12:56 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Logo design for Game Developer
    PrintDriver
    So now we're up to four claimants. Excellent.

from the Shutterstock license:...
    Yesterday, 11:47 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    creare
    no good, as if they were three separate things.
    the idea is good but you have to try to get them freehand on a sheet of paper, you can take inspiration from old photographs or something to similar...
    Yesterday, 10:53 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    creare
    ~~You need to think of them in black and white, for example on how to make a cardboard box.
    the font are not good ,too crushed ,and difficult to read ,you also have to adjust the set with diamond...
    Yesterday, 10:45 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by palo1 View Post
    Hope that helps!
    Actually, I think that you've needlessly confused the issue.

The OP was asking about which MacBook Pro to buy, and given Apple's intentionally small line-up of choices and configurations, the option are sharply limited. The choice really comes down to being not much more complicated than which size display, how much memory and how big of a hard drive. And the most practical answer to each of those questions is, "The more you spend, the more you get."

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
      Actually, I think that you've needlessly confused the issue.
      I was just discussing an issue with the Windows-based systems and wasn't entirely sure if that same problem was shared with OSX.

Granted, since he will be buying a new MacBook Pro, he might not have to deal with this due to updates with the OS, but if his girlfriend is using legacy software (rather than the very-pricy update to the newest software and shelling out hundreds to thousands [tens of thousands?] of dollars in addition), I would make sure that the new laptop could support it, rather than being able to chug along using around a quarter (or less) of the resources, or not being able to run at all.

Rumour has it that some professional designers out there actually don't use Macs... at all!
      I've used both. I can't say that one is really superior to the other anymore; the shortcut keys are switched around, and that is about it. I won't go into details, thus making this into one of those dreaded "Apple vs. PC" threads.

Anyway with computers.. it's part hardware and part how you use it. Having a dual boot for example may solve problems when one OS dies or has a problem, having older versions of software can help with receiving old files from clients, automatic backup of important data and similar go a long way.
      That too. I've actually noticed that some online companies (such as printers and whatnot) offer templates in legacy format that can no longer be opened in newer software versions, and vice-versa.
      ~People like me are the reason people like you take medication~
      Portfolio

Comment

...but if his girlfriend is using legacy software...
        The only significant Mac-specific issue there (that I can think of) is old software written specifically for PowerPC processors. The most recent Mac OS, Lion, won't support it. But it's sort of irrelevant since all the new Macs come with Lion preinstalled, so there's no real choice. Most any Mac software written over the past several years, however, will run just fine on the new machines.

There are also small issues of legacy peripherals possibly needing new adaptor cables, but those are the issues to sort out after the purchase because, again, there's little choice in the matter. You can't order a Mac with older-style FireWire or monitor hookup ports, for example you just buy whatever adapter is needed.

One significant advantage (or disadvantage, depending on how one looks at it) is that Apple controls both their hardware and software. Consequently, the various hardware/software configurations, variations and incompatibilities that must be considered when buying a PC are largely absent with Macs. The reason, of course, is Apple's tight control of anything Mac-related. This tight control comes at the expense of choice, but it does simplify the purchasing considerations.

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post

One significant advantage (or disadvantage, depending on how one looks at it) is that Apple controls both their hardware and software.
          Which reminds me, what happened with that beef between Adobe and Apple about 2-3 years ago, and how Adobe stopped supporting Flash on their iPads, with rumors about Apple dropping Adobe support altogether? I know that Flash is rather a moot point anyways with the advent of HTML 5 being a serious contender in regards to the same ability (though it has a while to go in terms of plug-and-chug), but I am sadly ignorant of what happened with that.

In terms of computer accessories and hardware peripherals, Windows has the same support as Apple. I was talking more in regards to integrated hardware and the issues Windows has (supposedly, again, a moot point with Windows 8, which has developed virtualization to support multi-core and has a higher RAM buffer that is now dependant on how much RAM you have, rather than being a 2GB-4GB cap, depending on the flavor of Windows).

Though, I am leery with Windows 8 being more tablet-oriented. Not sure how well that will translate with the creatives/graphically greedy. O_o

That being said (and getting back on track), I was also ignorant in terms of Apple legacy support. Thanks for clarifying that.
          ~People like me are the reason people like you take medication~
          Portfolio

Comment

I think PC has little bearing here. If the lady in question has legacy Mac software, and legacy may mean going back a long way rather than Apples meaning of Legacy, then she isn't going to want to cross grade. That's costly.

<b>, a lot of people forget about the upgrade trap. Early on when learning my job it was always a mad scramble when a new machine hit the floor to get it working with all the peripherals it needed to work with. From way back, SCSI chain orders and Extension conflicts, to today just getting the various printer drivers to work together on a network. Before I do any System upgrade, we wait a month, then it's at least several day's research just to find out what all might not work, and a test run on a non-production sensitive machine, just so it isn't a surprise - to production and to the IT budget. Needless to say, we were not able to update to Lion and doesn't look like we will before the next pussycat upgrade comes out.

On the other side, the whole mess in PC-land between what worked on XP that didn't work on Vista that now doesn't work on Win7 and probably won't work on Win8 either is just as bad a nightmare.

None of which has any bearing on this poor guy getting his girl a machine.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
              None of which has any bearing on this poor guy getting his girl a machine.
              Yup. This was the main reason I mentioned to Palo1 that he might be overcomplicating it.

If the girlfriend has an old machine and wants a new one, well, that old copy of Word Perfect just won't work, nor will the old Nikon slide scanner driver nor that old copy of Aldus Freehand. For that matter, nothing will work that wasn't developed to run on Intel processors unless she gets rid of Lion and installs Snow Leopard instead, which likely won't be necessary and would just be postponing the inevitable.

Being frozen in 1999 with ancient software obviously isn't a viable longterm solution, so a few software upgrades and the loss of a few seldom-used utilities might have to be considered as part of the purchase price for an up-to-date Mac.

In a complex, high-volume, production environment like yours, PD, I can see where these OS changes would be a huge deal critical drivers, processes and hardware might no longer work. For the average designer, though, it's more of a nuisance most of the time unless the designer really is way, way behind on software upgrades or relying on nearly prehistoric peripherals.

Whenever I've bought a new computer or upgraded the OS, it's always been with the trepidation of knowing that there will likely be some unexpected hassle to contend with. And if something critical gets left behind in the upgrade path, there's still the old machine in the closet that was kept for just those uses. Just this past week, I tossed an old Power Mac 8500/120. I kept it around for its built-in Jaz Drive and SCSI card that ran the even older Apple flatbed scanner (also tossed, by the way).

Comment

The only thing thta I can add here is that I have both an 27in iMac and a 13in Macbook Pro. Honestly, I find that I can do anything on either one. <b> does make a good point about it being nice to have more real estate on the screen with a larger one. But...you can do the same work with a smaller screen.

If it were me, I would get a Macbook and a monitor, if I had the choice. The Macbook has a very nice portability feature that a desktop does not.

You can save a lot of money by buying the Macbook and 8gb of RAM separately. I got my memory from Crucial.com. They are very good and upgrading the memory on your own (or your girlfriend's own) is very simply done, to be honest. It took me about 20 minutes to perform the operation.

I find myself more willing to carry my little laptop everywhere than my larger work laptop...just because of the weight.

Just my 2 cents.

I do want to thank you for all you do.
                "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Which reminds me, what happened with that beef between Adobe and Apple about 2-3 years ago, and how Adobe stopped supporting Flash on their iPads, with rumors about Apple dropping Adobe support altogether?
                  There was a lot of misinformation passed around, and there still is.

Apple has a policy of not approving virtual machines, emulators and interpreters on iOS devices, because it may compromise performance or security. This does not only apply to Adobe, but to any software developer. Adobe felt entitled to an exemption from the rules and Apple felt otherwise.

There was never a question of preventing Adobe from publishing apps, or preventing apps made with Adobe software from being published.

Comment

sounds like adobe's gotten a little too big for it's britches.

And there are numerous videos on youtube on how to add ram, change out a hard disc, etc. (My macbook even starred in one of them!)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X