Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• yhd007
    Reply to Mentor or college degree?
    yhd007
    Well, I not very sure if his PhD is graphic design or another field of art. I'll only know that when I speak to him. But yeah it does sound snobbish.

I honestly don't care, I just want someone...
    Today, 04:12 AM
  • yhd007
    Reply to Graphic Designer salary
    yhd007
    What do think of doing a double major in GD and Web development?...
    Today, 04:10 AM
  • designzombie
    designzombie
    A PHD in graphic design sounds a bit snobbish, like something you would need to be a graphic design critic/columnist, not to be an employee in the real world. When I think PHD, I think six figure income,...
    Today, 04:04 AM
  • yhd007
    Reply to Graphic Designer salary
    yhd007
    So after reading a couple of comments, one thing is for sure, I can't focus on only GD all my 4 years rather I should do a double major in Communication Studies or Computer Science. Thanks a lot g...
    Today, 03:48 AM
  • yhd007
    yhd007
    To be honest, the degree doesn't seem promising to me either but I thought that I could use his experience to push myself further. But as some of the people have said before as he has spent most of his...
    Today, 03:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of the time they sent a 'co-designer' (she wasn't -- nice lady, but really a well-intentioned desktop publisher) to Toronto for one of those 2 day 'Power Photoshop' classes -- at considerable expense, I might add.

She asked me if I had any questions that she could ask the instructor and after a bit, I gave her a couple. When she came back she was ready to kill me -- because the instructor got very angry when she stumped him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
      Reminds me of the time they sent a 'co-designer' (she wasn't -- nice lady, but really a well-intentioned desktop publisher) to Toronto for one of those 2 day 'Power Photoshop' classes -- at considerable expense, I might add.

She asked me if I had any questions that she could ask the instructor and after a bit, I gave her a couple. When she came back she was ready to kill me -- because the instructor got very angry when she stumped him.
      Lol. I really want to know what they put in photoshop that makes everyone feel like a master designer.

EDIT: I don't feel like a master designer when I use photoshop. Especially when I try to paint, I feel like a noob. Granted I've never been gifted with painting in the first place, but I feel like no more than a glorified MS Paint artist in Photoshop. It's sad because I love digital painting but I am totally void of talent for it.
      "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

Originally posted by iambunny View Post
        Lol. I really want to know what they put in photoshop that makes everyone feel like a master designer.
        apart from prefab filters and lens flares...

I think it's more along the lines of what photoshop has been put in that makes people think it's easy...

generic cheezy cop show line: can you enhance that reflection through that window on the trashcan? 3... 2... 1... and DONE! that's our guy!
        Last edited by kemingMatters; 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by iambunny View Post
          I don't feel like a master designer when I use photoshop. Especially when I try to paint, I feel like a noob. Granted I've never been gifted with painting in the first place, but I feel like no more than a glorified MS Paint artist in Photoshop. It's sad because I love digital painting but I am totally void of talent for it.
          Then get out of Photoshop. I know a lot of people like to do digital painting in PS, but honestly, it's not really optimized for that like some other great (and much, much, less expensive) apps are.

Have you tried Corel Painter? Autodesk Sketchbook? MyPaint? TwistedPixels? ArtRage? All of these apps (some are free) do a much better job of putting the feel of real painting into a stylus system. Do you have a stylus?

Comment

Then get out of Photoshop. I know a lot of people like to do digital painting in PS, but honestly, it's not really optimized for that like some other great (and much, much, less expensive) apps are.

Have you tried Corel Painter? Autodesk Sketchbook? MyPaint? TwistedPixels? ArtRage? All of these apps (some are free) do a much better job of putting the feel of real painting into a stylus system. Do you have a stylus?
            Nope I haven't tried those. I'm getting an Intuos after my next paycheck (hopefully, bills are a bitch and I don't want to tap my savings lol), so I'll definitely try out some other apps. All I have right now is PS which is why I've been trying to use it, but I just can't get the pixels to do what I want them to. One of my teachers made a couple tutorials of her painting in PS, and even when she was using a mouse it was awesome. Her work with a stylus is phenomenal. I aspire to that but I haven't figured it out yet. I don't plan on doing anything with digital painting career wise, but I'd LOVE to learn how to do it well as a hobby.

Comment

You should check out some of the threads in our Illustration section here. There's some low cost alternatives to an expensive tablet you might want to check out.

Comment

You should check out some of the threads in our Illustration section here. There's some low cost alternatives to an expensive tablet you might want to check out.
                Will do. I did find a small Intuos 4 for $170 which isn't too bad really, but it's still a chunk of change when you've got a bunch of bills, college, and a job that doesn't pay as well as you wish.

Comment

That's actually quite a good price. Myself, I work with an Intuos 3 and have used a tablet for decades now, but... I've never felt as comfortable drawing digitally as I have in the last few months drawing right ON a tablet PC screen. It's like a poor man's 'Cintiq'.

And I guess I qualify.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure it will definitely take some getting used to, but I'm excited. My boyfriend actually said he considered getting it for me, but that $170 is a bit much for him. He's willing to split the cost with me though as a gift, which is awesome, but I feel bad because he doesn't need to do that. He does make more money than me though. :P

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X