Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• murofwoh
    Reply to creative business cards
    murofwoh
    this thread is a hoot....a non designer asks all sorts of advice from designers then decides to become a designer after not liking designs from designers
    Today, 03:41 PM
  • murofwoh
    Reply to printing mistake
    murofwoh
    always request a proof then have SOMEONE else look at it too. in theory a good printer would have caught the error (unless they were really busy and it slipped through the cracks)....yes sounds like your...
    Today, 03:38 PM
  • murofwoh
    Reply to Portfolio advice/criticism
    murofwoh
    top image---craftworks, I think there is a little visual confusion with the very small curve going on in the logo craftworks for ne, its such a subtle curve it looks unintended, the only other thing is...
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Kool
    Comment on Edit request
    Kool
    Done, link removed
    Today, 03:12 PM
  • sketxz!
    Reply to Edit request
    sketxz!
    here it is: http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...my-new-website
    Today, 02:43 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altering type in Photoshop

I'm pretty new to Photoshop (though I used it like 10 years ago...) and don't know it as well as I know illustrator. However, my current class uses photoshop (with photos! ) so I'm working my way through it. I have what might be a dumb question though...

I am working on a project and I need to extend some parts of my text. What I mean, for example, is that I have an "A" and I would like to extend one of the legs down the page. I can't figure out the best way to do this, though I might be missing something very obvious. I thought about selecting the type, turning it into a path, editing the path, then adding a stroke (and deleting the original text), but I feel like there has to be an easier way. At this point I'm planning on doing the type in Illustrator and then bringing it over to Photoshop because that seems like the simplest solution, but if there is a good way to do this in PS I'd love to know. Knowledge is power.
    Last edited by iambunny; 04-10-2012, 02:22 PM.
    "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

I would make your adjustments in AI and bring them into PS as a smart object, that way you can resize to your hearts content.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
      I would make your adjustments in AI and bring them into PS as a smart object, that way you can resize to your hearts content.
      Cool, that's what I was planning on doing unless there is something ridiculously easy that I'm missing. Not that making a smart object is hard, it's probably easier than any other way lol.

Comment

Just curious, what are you making in PS that requires text? web banners?

Comment

As a word of caution - all smart objects in Photoshop OUTPUT at the documents image resolution. That is if you have a 72 ppi document then the Smart Object outputs at that. It doesn't make a difference for web - but noticeable in print.

I'd be inclined to do it the opposite way as suggested.

Bring the photo to Illustrator and generate the Text and effects using illustrator over the image.

Smart objects are great, but only allow resizing in Photoshop without degradation - once output it outputs at the PPI of the image resolution.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Just curious, what are you making in PS that requires text? web banners?
            Basically the test is that you get a complex graphic that has been flattened to only a .jpg and you have to recreate it to show you can recognize what's been done and know how to do it yourself. There is just three letters on it (the abbrevation for the class), so it's not a ton of text or anything.

Comment

Yeh I wouldn't do it as a Smart Object - I'd convert them to PATHS and then use that.

Vector Paths, Vector Type, and Vector Masks, can all be output as vectors in Print and also as PDF - which is much better for printed materials.

Smart objects will rasterise on output.

Comment

"will rasterise on output"

I think I want that put on my tombstone.

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
                  As a word of caution - all smart objects in Photoshop OUTPUT at the documents image resolution. That is if you have a 72 ppi document then the Smart Object outputs at that. It doesn't make a difference for web - but noticeable in print.

I'd be inclined to do it the opposite way as suggested.

Bring the photo to Illustrator and generate the Text and effects using illustrator over the image.

Smart objects are great, but only allow resizing in Photoshop without degradation - once output it outputs at the PPI of the image resolution.
                  I probably won't be printing it, but I'm making it 300 ppi just in case because I can't go back once it's small.

Comment

very true, my devious super villain friend, I merely assumed that the output quality was obvious. I would opt for ID over AI because of the way AI handles images with clipping masks (or at least the way it used to -if it has changed since the last time I used it for layout)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                      "will rasterise on output"

I think I want that put on my tombstone.
                      LOL. Awesome.

Comment

very true, my devious super villain friend, I merely assumed that the output quality was obvious. I would opt for ID over AI because of the way AI handles images with clipping masks (or at least the way it used to -if it has changed since the last time I used it for layout)
                        Unfortunately I have no idea how to use ID (yet...I'll be learning it soon) so I'll probably opt for Illustrator. All I need to do is get the text altered how I want it, and since I am making something very specific for a project I won't need to resize it, though I will almost certainly keep it vector. After I have the text I need to put a texture inside of it, and I'll definitely do that in PS. My teacher needs to see all of my layers and I don't want this finished text to come magically from somewhere else. :P

Comment

The OP mentioned this is for a Photoshop class. Maybe the idea is to figure out the technique in Photoshop, regardless of potential output quality? Just a thought.
                          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
                            The OP mentioned this is for a Photoshop class. Maybe the idea is to figure out the technique in Photoshop, regardless of potential output quality? Just a thought.
                            This is true and why I'll probably still use a smart object. We discussed smart objects pretty thoroughly in my class and doing it that way it a very good way to show that I can properly use them. Since the whole point of this is to prove that you can do everything we talked about, that's a good thing. :P

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
                              One would want the potential output quality to be maximised - as noted earlier - once it's reduced in quality it's very difficult to get back up to a larger size.

Again - I'd keep type layers in the project but hidden. And I'd make the type paths.

That will give you the option at a later date to output the file as a PDF with fully scalable vector paths - in PDF. Smart objects will not.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X