Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    KitchWitch
    I always try and find the best solution, not the best price. So if the best solution is less expensive than another, bonus for the client. It comes back around. My mom just had a bunch of papers drawn...
    Today, 02:17 PM
  • iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    The mac mini with 16gb is $700 new online. The monitor I want is a 27" at $250 (already have a 24" cinema display I would use a second monitor). The smallest, 21.5" imac with 16gb is $1500...so...
    Today, 02:13 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on My First Design Assignment.
    KitchWitch
    The forum is psychotically insane, Krazy. Lots of things don't work and some just don't work well. The best way to post an image (that I've found) is to upload it to an image hosting site (I use Photobucket),...
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    seamas
    I really don't get minimalism here. I mean you don't have much going on, but instead of a minimal approach you tried to make it interesting --and it isn't working.

Minimalism is as much about...
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    The project is a 50 minimalist-driven icons booklet of anything representative of the 1980's. I'm not able to upload the emblems at this time, but sometimes I struggle with layouts and was just wondering...
    Today, 01:40 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, let's see. The questions in your original post have been answered, and in post #2, you've been given links to the forum rules and FAQs, which contain lots of information about the basics. Have you read through them?
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I think you should stick with your initial idea of hiring a designer. Others have already commented on the contract part, so you should be good to go.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Yes.. I didn't say that I haven't? I'm also interested in what others have to say on top of that.

Comment

On top of what? We can get going on some pretty weird tangents, so without a specific question it'll just end up at bacon and boobies.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

How much of a friend, is your graphics experienced friend?

Just saying, working closely with a friend is a classic way to lose one. Especially given the other levels of experience and background that you've outlined.

Don't take this the wrong way, but my 'flakey flag' is waving strongly here. Maybe unjustified, but what you're describing is something I've heard so many times before. Hopefully, I'm wrong -- but my fladar is beeping loudly.

Comment

LOL! Well, if you do decide to hire a graphic designer, as some of you already mentioned of course you'd have to find someone that would suit the sort of style you're going for... how would you even get started with the wealth of talented graphic designers out there? I do have my friend as I mentioned, but I'm thinking I may go to someone else mainly because it may be better to keep it as a more business relationship, which can be hard with friends especially if you're hanging out with them when they should be home doing your work :P Kidding aside... how does one get started finding an artist they think would be best for their work?

Comment

Bob I agree! Our posts came up at exactly the same time there lol... if I do hire someone, I have been thinking I would rather hire someone with a)more experience and b)not as close to me because I would not want the business aspect to ruin the friendship..just not sure how to get started on that, as I would really love to see my ideas come to life and do think it is more to my benefit to hire someone than try to fit in the time to learn it on my own so quickly... I would rather have someone with years of experience since I want to get it started soon... I can always learn over the years as I go along and possibly end up doing it myself at some point.. I would definitely feel a lot less stress on my back with all the other things I have to take care of, to have someone skilled and reliable doing that part for me..

Comment

Originally posted by elektra View Post
                  as I would really love to see my ideas come to life and do think it is more to my benefit to hire someone than try to fit in the time to learn it on my own so quickly... I would rather have someone with years of experience since I want to get it started soon... I can always learn over the years as I go along and possibly end up doing it myself at some point.. I would definitely feel a lot less stress on my back with all the other things I have to take care of, to have someone skilled and reliable doing that part for me..
                  I wasn't necessarily talking only about the designer here. You may have fallen into what's called 'Schlep Blindness'.

http://paulgraham.com/schlep.html

Comment

I don't think it applies if you're openly admitting to knowing next to nothing on it lol

Comment

Originally posted by elektra View Post
                      LOL! Well, if you do decide to hire a graphic designer, as some of you already mentioned of course you'd have to find someone that would suit the sort of style you're going for... how would you even get started with the wealth of talented graphic designers out there? I do have my friend as I mentioned, but I'm thinking I may go to someone else mainly because it may be better to keep it as a more business relationship, which can be hard with friends especially if you're hanging out with them when they should be home doing your work :P Kidding aside... how does one get started finding an artist they think would be best for their work?
                      Ah, okay, great question! Hopefully you'll get better answers than mine, since I've never hired a designer, lol. We do have a classified section here in the forum, you could advertise for a designer. That would at least get you some contacts and you could speak to each privately to see if they may suit your needs.

You can also explain to your friend that you don't want to risk the friendship over a potentially bad working relationship and see if they can suggest anything. That could go bad if your friend takes offense, so grain of salt there.

I'm afraid that wasn't very helpful, sorry. Others here are more eloquent than I, they'll be along shortly...
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Look, it's really, really, REALLY easy to get excited by a new idea. That's one of the terrific rewards of working in a creative field. But... it's just as important to be ruthlessly critical of the idea, whack it around, burn it, shoot it, stomp on it, fold it, freeze it, and subject it to all manner of physical, mental and emotional abuse. If at the end, it's still smiling -- you might then still have something.

I've been to way too many (as a lot of folks here have) meetings with prospective new clients where everyone is super-high on a creative 'vision' but super-low on follow-through, commitment to professional planning and the proper resource support. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong -- in your case. But frankly, if you walked into my office with what you just described I would smile politely and tell you that I am too busy, perhaps another day.

What if you had a dream about building the 'perfect house'? You can just see it in your mind and you really, really, really want to make it come true. How would you start? Would you talk to an architect? Hmm... mucho expensive. What about a construction contractor? Lots of great skills and more affordable for consulting, but even they're going to want to see some actual plans.

Or would you just head down to the hardware store with a credit card?

Comment

Haha. Thanks, that was actually very helpful thank you.

Comment

Well I haven't described anything about the work I even want done.. no one even has a clue to what I'm talking about and planning to create.. I already have a company doing the printing I only need to create the images which is where the issue comes in because I know the basics but honestly have no graphic design skills whatsoever, and starting from scratch is really not the most realistic and efficient idea even though I have the willingness lol, that doesn't go far especially when I have a million other aspects of my business to run so I do think it would be best to go to a graphic designer. References to the hardware store aside, if you hire a graphic designer and you have the visions you want as the client, once the contract issue is out of the way, isn't it up to the graphic designer to take care of the actual work, isn't that the point of hiring them?

And I'm not sure what I "described" (as I said, I haven't even talked about the details of the work I want done) that would make my visit to your office so unproductive, but I didn't go there so no worries! (sarcasm btw, some people are a bit touchy this morning)

Comment

btw) didn't say thanks for this comment it did help! (Buda's tip regarding contracts)

Comment

People here are very touchy on the subject of someone who just thinks they can go out and buy, or download, a software program and learn to push a few buttons.

My advice on where to start would be to go to school and learn the theory, then spend about 5 years working for someone in a design capacity before even thinking of freelancing. Sadly, there are hobbyists and even students who just hang out a shingle and people fall for it. There is another thread running right now about a hobbyist who has a 'client'. That is no longer a hobby. And a designer with himself for the client is also in a world of trouble because that is the hardest client to satisfy.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X