No announcement yet.

Do you know this song?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have to consider that, with the exception of a few musical polymaths (if I'm using that term correctly), country music tends to be a love it or let it alone proposition. The people who like it like it and those who don't tend to be totally unfamiliar with it.

I forgot to say that, although I don't know the song that well, I do like it. I think I may have the Bob Willis version on one of the country and/or western collections I have kicking around but have probably only given a few listens. It's now bugging me as to why and where I know this song from.
    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Lith View Post
      I tend to glaze over when garricks talks about music too
      ROFL! I can get a little carried away talking about music. High school senior year, I glazed over my entire Humanities class with an analysis of Beethoven's 8th symphony
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Well, Garricks, I like it when you wax eloquent about music, even when I don't know what you're talking about.
        People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Thanks Nobert.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I was really thinking of it as more of an old American folk song rather than country western. I'm not a country music fan like we think of country music today, but I know a lot of really early songs from the 1800's-early 1940's. If musicians like Willie Nelson or Merle Haggard redid those songs, then I probably have heard them do them. Most of the songs of the day from that era, if they survived, ended up being country/western songs. I'm pretty big into old timey music in general - like old fiddle/guitar/banjo tunes. I have no appreciation for Garth Brooks or anyone from that genre.

I think I may be so into old timey music that I assumed everyone would have known this song. To me, this song is along the same lines as Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonite or In The Pines. Originally, Stay All Night Stay a Little Longer was called Shinbone Alley before Bob Wills and Tommy Duncan added verses and changed it up a bit. All of those originated from the late 1800's. I thought they had turned into classics! Crap!
            You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Never heard it Cornfed, also after listening to the video... oh well

Comment

The only reason I know this song is my dad had it on an 8-track. Or it could have been a cassette.

Comment

A smile makes the day worthwhile.

Checked the song in YouTube. It definitely is a "dance-able" song but as for the familiarity, I have never heard it anywhere! A little promotion and update will do it good if you are going to use it.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X