Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of paintings on stock photos sites?

I was browsing today and saw a photo of a painting by a well known Thai painter in a stock photography site. No attribution to the painter at all.

Whoever is buying this "photo" is clearly purchasing it for the painter's vision, not for the photographer's vision.

What's to stop me from taking a photo of your photo or painting and selling it as my own?

Thoughts?
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Unless it's marked as Editorial, report it. It's against the TOS of most photo sites to do this.

And it's illegal.

And if it was my painting and I came across this, the person would definitely regret it.

Comment

Is the well known Thai painter still living? Or is the art Public Domain for any reason?
      I don't know what the copyright laws are there, but there is a huge loophole here in the US right now that put a lot of stuff in Public Domain even though it was created in early 70s.

Comment

There's a huge stink being raised over at deviantart about this subject. Personally, I find it hideous to think about. I mean, the painter did the work, but someone else is taking credit. I was very surprised to read through the attitudes being so flipant on an art site thinking "it's no big deal" I was floored myself. Unfortunately, it's becoming a common theme.
        "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

The copyright thing over at DeviantArt is one reason you would never see any of my work there. The EULA is just plain wrong for an art site and anyone that buys into it can't think much of the value of their work.

Comment

The artist is still living and working and I sent him a link to the stock photo via their facebook page. It's up to him now.

There are several "photographers" that sell collages of graffiti artwork here. They print them onto large canvases and you find them at gift stores all over town. I don't know if it's the same over in other countries. People that don't know any better but like graffiti artwork buy these beautiful canvases. The photographers get paid and meanwhile, the artists, who bought paint, put in the hours worked for free, risking lives, fines and jailtime, get nothing but steez. It's weird.
            Last edited by Buda; 04-13-2012, 02:22 AM.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post
              Unless it's marked as Editorial, report it. It's against the TOS of most photo sites to do this.

And it's illegal.

And if it was my painting and I came across this, the person would definitely regret it.
              This.

Which stock site was it, I wonder?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X