Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Lucifer
    Comment on Creatives on Instagram and Facebook
    Lucifer
    Looks like you've already made up your mind. Why bother asking for opinions then? Print is right. If you want to make money off your pictures, buy a good camera.
    Yesterday, 10:58 PM
  • Momoshy
    Reply to How Can I Covert This logo to 3D ?
    Momoshy
    Abarth, you can do pretty much everything with smart use of gradients and transparencies.

Even if you dont plan to print anything big in a inmidiate future, is best to do as the guys above...
    Yesterday, 10:21 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Should I charge more than $29 for this sidewalk sign?
    Cosmo
    I don't know about pricing, but let me ask this:

Is that the exact sign you are selling? Or are you offering custom signs in that style? If you are selling just that particular sign, you...
    Yesterday, 09:51 PM
  • HotButton
    Reply to Creatives on Instagram and Facebook
    HotButton
    Everyone must decide for themselves whether "social networking" is worth their time. It's the same with everything.

The problem comes when people make assumptions about others'...
    Yesterday, 09:18 PM
  • Abarth
    Reply to How Can I Covert This logo to 3D ?
    Abarth
    I've just discovered the solution, thank you
    Yesterday, 09:14 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes yes. Big responsibility. Folk around here tend to be serious about such things, paw icons on their cars, dog-worn backpacks and plastic tennis ball flinging atlatls and so forth. We've even got a commercial self-service pet wash uphill from the river. (sign: "River dog? Go to ____...")

Nearly all the dogs I meet around here I can tell are well-adjusted, healthy animals. The right kind of pet and right kind of owner.

Comment

Back to the advert, billboard, whatever it is: I'm not a dog owner but it caught my attention in about the same way it would someone who's crazy for canines. A lolcat-style version would grab me quicker still. But neither would be likely to convince me to buy the product, as with few exceptions I can't remember who sponsors which advertising campaigns -- sometimes not even what kind of product/service the advert is selling. "Now, what brand of dog toy was that?" Such a ditz.

Comment

Wow. Dogs that can read too! Next thing you know they'll be taking designer correspondence classes.

No wonder those owners are so loyal and faithful.

Comment

[dumb joke redacted]
          Last edited by Meffy; 04-19-2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

And another thread derails.
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

It's a righteous cop so I've removed my lame jape. Did try to get back on topic though. :-}

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                This ad/billboard/building/installation (whatEVer) appeals to the 4-year-old boy who roped and brought home every dog in the neighborhood, until his parents put him in the car and drove him over to a strange house. In the house was a little playpen of sorts, almost like a wading pool or sandbox. And in it were eight puppies and their mother, and the boy was told he could pick any one of the puppies to take home with him.

Well, that's quite a decision for a 4-year-old boy! He tried and tried, but he couldn't decide. Then the runt of the litter stopped playing with all the other puppies and came over and nuzzled the boy's hand.

The puppy chose the boy.

They played constantly over the next 16 years. She waited by the front door for him to get home from school, they played fetch in the back yard and the park down the street, and he would sneak her into his bedroom at night.

She was his best friend for 16 years.
                Sheesh Garricks, that really made me miss my old dog Trooper who adopted us when I was about 8 years old. The half-grown pup just showed up at our porch one day and wouldn't leave. My parents would try to scare her off, then I'd sneak out later to feed her with leftovers from dinner. This went on for two or three months, and I guess my parents finally got used to her being there.

She would go everywhere with us, and would travel back and forth on her own between our house and the stockyards on the farm about ten miles away. She found a shortcut through the fields in between that shaved off about three miles. After getting older, she would jump in the truck and ride over to the farm each day with dad.

Trooper would even tag along on dates when I got older. Trooper was an excellent judge of character, and if she didn't like a girl, neither did I. When I grew up and went away to college, I think I missed that dog more than anything else. When I came home to visit, she would act as though it was the greatest event in the history of the universe.

Both my parents were out of town when she finally died, so my older brother took her over to the farm to bury her.

I sure do miss that dog.

Comment

got some mind reading going on there garricks

Comment

<b> what a great rememberance. Sounds like Trooper was a fine companion.

I'm still curious (from a market research standpoint) why this ad is so polarizing. To me, it's pure joy, the unabashed excitement of having a dog in your life and loving him/her as well as they love you. But obviously others aren't feeling that.

And I'm always amused at people who assume that the post immediately following theirs is directed solely at them.
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

And I'm always amused at people who assume that the post immediately following theirs is directed solely at them.
                      If you mean me, I didn't assume yours meant solely me. However, your comment didn't say whom it was directed at and I had already noted that I had been drifting off topic and failing to keep from doing so -- so yes, it was a fair cop and the little joke wasn't worth keeping.

Comment

"We're goldfish people, we're antfarm people. We're not dog people." (George Newton -- from the film, Beethoven)

Actually, my favourite pet of all time was a leech I kept in our kitchen during my college years. We found him in a pond one spring, and adopted him as our faithful and loving pet. So easy to maintain -- a couple tiny bits of raw hamburg maybe once a month. Other than that -- just enjoyed him (her? both?) swimming about so gracefully in that golden glow of stagnant pond water. He was very happy. As were we.

Poor 'Dave'. Killed by a drunken roommate who 'accidentally' squirted some dish detergent into his mason jar late one careless Friday night.

But yeah, in the end, even Dave was... pure Joy.

Comment

I'm still curious (from a market research standpoint) why this ad is so polarizing. To me, it's pure joy, the unabashed excitement of having a dog in your life and loving him/her as well as they love you. But obviously others aren't feeling that.
                          That could be a simple "dog person" thing. I'm more of a cat person, but I don't loathe dogs, I just take them on a case-by-case basis (in fact, the dog in this ad, which looks to be some kind of terrier, is about in my preferred size range of canine mass). Although I have been very fond of some dogs, the notion of a dog/companion isn't one that inspires feelings of automatic affection in me, personally.

As for being polarizing, I think it may just be the brazen scale of the thing. Just as some people can be awe-inspired by music because of its sheer volume, while that makes others reach for the ear-plugs.

For the record, I'd say I basically like it, reminds me of this:

People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                          -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Dogs and cats can get along

Marcy-The-Dog-Adopts-Two-Kittens-Feeds-As-If-She-Was-Their-Mother

Comment

Okay, interesting wrinkle, I know I said I wasn't a dog person but if this video by a friend of mine showing off her 4-week-old puppies doesn't make you want to pick up something fuzzy then you're even less of a dog person than I am. Maybe not even a mammal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Wmel_97lm3A
                              People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                              -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

*dies of teh cute*

Nobert, that's awesome.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X