Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice??

Hi GDF friends,
    I am an advertising major and I love my major but I have such a hard time with design. I don;t have problem with concept but when it comes to design, I can't do a good job.I only have 1 electives that I can use in GDs department. My major doesn't have any graphic design courses...any advice?
    If you don't have anything beside advising me to quit ...please don't reply anything. No discouraging comments.
    tnx

Hello mydesigns, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find it useful and fun here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Welcome.

Can you take extra courses outside of your major? I'd recommend taking some design courses if that is your weak area.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Can you take up a minor? Or you could double major.
        "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
        -Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by mydesigns View Post
          I don't have problem with concept but when it comes to design, I can't do a good job.
          Concepts are actually the easy part. Where it gets hard is translating those concepts into something that actually works. To give a ridiculous example: I've got this idea of building a hotel on the moon and only charging guests $500 to visit for a week. The concept is great, but it won't work for about a million reasons. Scale that ridiculous example way back to, "I've got a great idea for a photograph or a video or a promotional pamphlet," and similar problems of logistics and practicality come into play that prevent the successful execution of the great concept.

Part of finally maturing as a competent designer is gaining the experience necessary to intuitively gauge what will actually work from what probably won't.

It seems odd to me that an advertising program would shortchange graphic design like you're saying it does. A class or two about design appreciation and how to work with designers and visually creative individuals would be helpful. After all, design is an important part of advertising, but it sound like you realize that.

I'm not sure how much you'd actually gain from taking one graphic design class. If you could find a class on graphic design for the non-designer, that might provide some valuable insight on the fundamentals of and appreciation for graphic design. I don't know, however, if such a course exists. Another possibility might be, if you can carve out the time, take a few graphic design courses that might not count as credit but could still fulfill your desire to familiarize yourself with the subject more. Those course, however, would likely be geared more toward actually developing the skills necessary to become a designer.

Comment

To begin :Thank you all for being friendly about my post. I never use blogs because there is always someone use the wrong language. Thanks again.
            Everything that you guys are saying is obvious...I guess I am looking for an answer to the impossible.The graphic design department won't accept any other major to take one or two individual classes without taking all the pre-reqs. They had one entire quarter playing with Font manually with hand and ruler to the point that the student could realize the difference between most of the fonts by just looking at the curves. They let me to take one class as my electives and as you said, one class won't make anybody a designer. It would help to take other classes and not as electives but financial aid won't pay for it and I can't effort them out of pocket. The minor in graphic design isn't an option because it is one year and half and just simple principals. Even the director of the program didn't recommend it.
            I think I have my own answer: If I am struggling with design, may be I should quit trying so hard to be a part of advertising which gives me such a joy.
            I was thinking may be you guys have some resources that you can recommend that I can use as a self thought to help me get better in designing.

Comment

Welcome to GDF!

I have a lot of questions to ask before I can make any helpful suggestions.

What exactly did you want to do in "advertising"? Can you tell us what drew you to the school and degree/courses you are in? Surely you knew there were minimal design classes in the program description when you began.

Are you wanting to change your pursuits from adv./marketing to adv./design? Do you now want to become an adv. art director?

What degree are you are currently pursuing? Bachelor of Art? Bachelor of Science? What year are you at the moment? What classes are covered in your current adv. major? How many classes have you completed?

Your answers will help me get a better idea of what options are available to you, which are of course dependent on many more factors than the ones listed above, but it's a start.
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

If you are working on a business degree with a major in advertising, you may not need a lot of design ability. In this case you should have at least an appreciation for good ad design. I don't know what your drawing and design ability is but it has to be at least as good as most of the copywriters and account people I have worked with. At the concept level, you only need the ability to make a "talking rough"—something you can use to help you explain a concept verbally.
                http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

To answer to all of those...I have to be super honest but there are a lot of personal reasons behind every move in life that talking about them require a separate blog.
                  I always loved to be a graphic designer, I still do. For various reasons beyond this forum I had to take different routes. I have a BS in accounting and associate degree in webdesign. My web-design degree is from a technical school which they don;t work on the design and concept part...only on programming. I hated the degree from day 1 but I finished it anyway which I am not sorry about it but I wish I would have got a degree in Graphic Design. Any how: Since I loved the design field, I learned Photoshop on my own ( it was Photoshop 6 at the time ), later on ( around CS2), I was lucky enough to get a job as a graphic designer for a company. I actually learned a lot at that job and it was the best 4 years of my life. I applied for SCAD ( Savannah College of Art & Design ) for graduate degree in motion media but instead I was drawn to Advertising department. I always had passion for commercials. Although for every single project I struggle on how to create a poster, what to do to make it work, where to put my logo....but at the end of the day, I feel alive. It feels so right.
                  At some point I was thinking of just doing Account executive job for ad agencies, I still will have to do some designs but not much. I took a graphic design class this quarter as my electives but it turns out to be more in concept again rather than how to design a poster. My professors in Advertising think that I am being hard on myself but I think if creating a poster takes for ever and you have no clue what to do and where to place elements and what color to use...it means your design skills is awful. I can draw sketches somehow, sometimes it amazes me, sometimes I can't even draw a line. I don;t have much electives left to get so many graphic design courses, I am wondering if there is a better source out there that I can use to lift up my design skills.

Comment

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
                    Welcome to GDF!

Surely you knew there were minimal design classes in the program description when you began.

Do you now want to become an adv. art director?

I didn't even think that there is no graphic design class. So far there has been 2 typography classes which none of them talked about type. The program focuses on concept only!!!! I think no design class is a flaw.
                    Also, in Atlanta, there is no other school who offers graduate degree in Advertising to compare the courses.

Comment

Do your best and don't give up

Try and copy masters of simplicity. They are generally easy to copy and the act of copying will teach you alot!

Comment

I didn't even think that there is no graphic design class. So far there has been 2 typography classes which none of them talked about type. The program focuses on concept only!!!! I think no design class is a flaw.
                        Also, in Atlanta, there is no other school who offers graduate degree in Advertising to compare the courses.
                        If I am understanding correctly, you are in a graduate program. The fundamental design classes you are looking for are taught at the undergraduate level. Now that I understand that you are in a Masters program, it does not surprise me that basic design classes are not a part of the advanced program curriculum.

For an masters degree in Advertising, I would expect it to be more focused on concept, analytics, strategy, marketing, planning, media, brand, communications, etc.

I didn't even think that there is no graphic design class.
                        Lesson: When your future depends on it, think harder, think smarter.
                        Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I applied for SCAD ( Savannah College of Art & Design ) for graduate degree in motion media but instead I was drawn to Advertising department.
                          You are SCAD? This school has a very good rep.

At some point I was thinking of just doing Account executive job for ad agencies, I still will have to do some designs but not much.
                          Account Executives do not design or concept. at. all. ever.

I took a graphic design class this quarter as my electives but it turns out to be more in concept again rather than how to design a poster.
                          I think your mistaken if you think there is a "how-to" style class where one is taught how to design a poster or how to design an ad. What is taught is a combination of art history, color theory, typography, design fundamentals, drawing, and sometimes photography, sculpture, painting, illustration, etc. How one "knows" what to do is a process of learning how to see, implementing that learning into a visual/audio form to communicate a message effectively.

I can draw sketches somehow, sometimes it amazes me, sometimes I can't even draw a line.
                          Draw everyday. Draw often, everyday.

I am wondering if there is a better source out there that I can use to lift up my design skills.
                          I am still not quite clear about your career goal. What exactly do you want to do when you enter the field of advertising? As a graduate student who has expressed a passion for this field, can you be more specific as to what job/career you see yourself pursuing post graduation? Presumably you have spent some time researching the possibilities and considering the various paths?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X