Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to (Possibly) doing a commission for the first time, need intro
    Buda
    Just curious if you are thinking of using copyright and trademarked comic book and movie characters in your design?
    Today, 01:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Design Quotes
    Buda
    Hi c_fowler336 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 01:37 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Flash on iPhones.

Hey guys. My client is telling me he needs a gif banner instead of a flash banner because the iPhone doesn't support flash. (The problem is the gif file is about 2mb and it's not going to go any lower without looking crap, so it's gotta be flash)

I'm just wondering, did the iPhone fix the whole flash thing? I keep hearing mixed things, some tell me it works now and others tell me the opposite.

If the iPhone still won't play flash I'm in a bit of trouble.

2mb for a gif for an iPhone resolution image?

There's no flash on iPhone.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

It's not strictly for iPhones. Just on the web. But my client doesn't wanna use flash because people on iPhones won't be able to see it, which only leaves gifs (I think) Is they're an alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by MattyMcFly View Post
        It's not strictly for iPhones. Just on the web. But my client doesn't wanna use flash because people on iPhones won't be able to see it, which only leaves gifs (I think) Is they're an alternative?
        Your client is restricting rich content because his/her iPhone users wont be able to see it?

That would be acceptable providing his website is MADE to be viewed on iPhones or if his website was, say, a website selling iPhone accessories. Otherwise you need to step up and tell your client "you do realise you are biting the hand that feeds? You are sacrificing rich content and appealing to the lowest common denominator". Just not in that tone.

Depending on how intricate the animation is, you could make it JavaScript if it's just revolving images. I'm not sure what Safari is like on iPhone but you could also make it HTML5. OR, you could implement some sort of code that detects that the website is being loaded from an iOS device and change out Flash content for a simple JavaScript animation.

I just can't stand the idea of a client being ignorant to the point where they think iPhones should depict how web content is delivered. I'd educate first, then talk about solutions.

Comment

"They're"? there*

But yeah, good points man, thanks.

I think Javascript will be the way to go on this one, I've never really used it before, hopefully it's not too hard to pick up.

Comment

I just can't stand the idea of a client being ignorant to the point where they think iPhones should depict how web content is delivered.
            I don't think the client is the 'uninformed' one in this equation. The OP, who is a designer, is asking for the advice...it's his job to know the answer.

Comment

stay away from flash for mobile, adobe no longer supports it (http://tinyurl.com/d2pbqxj)
              From what i've seen most websites don't have a banner on their mobile site, prioritizing content over fancy banners because of the smaller viewing size.
              You could look into html5 for mobile but i doubt its supported yet. my advice is try and talk him of having the banner on the mobile site, it will cause problems. If you cant talk him out of it, give him the GIF and tell him to call if there are any problems

Comment

Whether it's flash or .gif, if I see animated banners, I go running anyways...
                http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Flash is a dying program. Apple has never supported it on their mobile devises and now Adobe is going to stop supporting it for ALL mobile devises. Smart phones and tablets are increasingly relying on HTML5 for flash-like content.

And because we're in the "mobile age", most people want their sites to be accessible through any kind of devise. I know a few web designers who have stopped using Flash completely.
                  "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                  -Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
                    Flash is a dying program. Apple has never supported it on their mobile devises and now Adobe is going to stop supporting it for ALL mobile devises. Smart phones and tablets are increasingly relying on HTML5 for flash-like content.

And because we're in the "mobile age", most people want their sites to be accessible through any kind of devise. I know a few web designers who have stopped using Flash completely.
                    Count me amongst that number. Of course, I never used it anyways unless I absolutely had to...
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
                      Flash is a dying program. .
                      Not true.

It may be falling out of use on the web, but it's still being used to create interactive educational materials, and we're using it to create animations for patient information digital displays.
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                        Not true.

It may be falling out of use on the web,
                        Thats what I meant - dying in terms of web use. More and more web designers are abandoning Flash for more mobile friendly and more reliable sources.
                        "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                        -Steve Jobs

Comment

Flash in my opinion does more harm than good as it absolutely murders batter life on Androids. I'd much rather have a low quality image than having a higher quality flash image simply sap the life of my phone. I see the quandary as a designer, but perhaps it's time to let him know that pretty soon Flash won't even be a consideration.

Hopefully this is also a step in the right direction in creating a more cohesive mobile market where advertisers (and customers) will not have to worry so much about compatibility issues. I mean we did spend the last 20 years hammering out the details as far as that goes on PCs and laptops.

I do understand the argument that the flash file may be higher quality, but I also understand why he would want his site to be a little more universal. You're kind of in a tough situation right here now because html 5 isn't supported by all devices and flash is in the process of going the way of the dodo.

As stated earlier he may just have to do without the banner. Is it worth having a lower quality image or extended compatibility? Might just want to skip the banner altogether for now.

Comment

Has the project already been delivered or is this something that has been noted in the design stage? Either way did the contract/brief mention the site would provide alternatives to flash for devices that do not support it? If not than I would say this is more a problem with the hardware that can not be overcome – blame it on apple. Than again depending on what flash has been used for in most cases a sensible developer would use something other than flash. Though that starts to get into the quality of person who has been hired and budget of the job. I think it is perfectly acceptable to degrade and not show the banner. That is what graceful degradation is for. Besides… it is only decoration regardless of the hard on the client has for it. What does the banner do that is requires flash – swap images at different intervals or what?
                            Last edited by tZ; 05-01-2012, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X