Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• designzombie
    Comment on Graphic Designer salary
    designzombie
    I guess I'm too immersed in the lower end of the profession. I think B2B advertisers budget less of their income towards marketing than B2C. Or maybe they have smaller profit margins.

I...
    Today, 06:57 PM
  • Sketcher
    Reply to Feedback on my logo
    Sketcher
    Sorry, but this is anything but contemporary or rustic. It's very Web 2.0 which is about 10 years out of date.

You should be designing your logo in Illustrator. No gloss, no bevels, no...
    Today, 06:04 PM
  • buicongthai
    Reply to Canon T3i or an original Canon 5D?
    buicongthai
    I would like to introduce
    My name is Thai, Vietnam nationality, engaged to learn, very passionate about photography. canon 5d and I found a very good use. I do not have the money to buy it, but...
    Today, 05:12 PM
  • salsa
    Reply to Your Workflow when creating Ads, Posters, etc...
    salsa
    I always use InDesign for layout. Actually, anytime I have type I usually use it, there's very few times I leave something in Illustrator. If I'm just doing a vector drawing then sure, but otherwise it's...
    Today, 05:04 PM
  • salsa
    Reply to Can someone help me with this design?
    salsa
    A book? There's hundreds. People spend years studying this and trying to figure it out. Not sure it can just be learned in a book (although a lot of books will advertise themselves to do that).
    Today, 04:59 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Mac to buy?

Hey there, which Mac is the best to buy now we're in 2012! I've seen some older threads on this topic but I guess it's all outdated advice.

I'm currently working on a Mac Processor Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. I actually thought I was keeping up with technology until I recently learnt my computer isn't compatible with the newer versions of CS. Also I'm having problems viewing movies on the internet because it's not compatible with the later versions of flash etc... Time and technology is racing ahead of me and I find myself needing to buy a new computer... very annoying.

I can't afford an expensive computer as I'm a freelancer working from home. I mostly do digital illustration and some graphic design. My PS files range from 200-500mb for my digital illustrations. So I do need some speed so I can actually see my brushstroke motion in 'real time' and not wait and see where the brush stroke ends up a few minutes later!

My local mac shop said all I need is an iMac. What are your views on iMacs... are they any good for graphic design and digital illustration?

For Photoshop files that large you need lots of RAM.

A decent processor is handy too. The processors with the Sandybridge architecture are better. But Intel have recently released the Ivybridge processors, which would be better again to go for.

The good and bad news. The bad first, the I imagine the computers with Ivybridge processors would be very expensive in their first release, as it's new technology. The good news, well I suspect computers being sold with the Sandybridge technology will now be cheaper.

I'd wait a while and see what processors are available in the Mac - and make sure you're not getting an Arandale processor, which I think was the i3-, i5-, i7- range followed by the code of 3xx, i.e., i3 350, or i5 380, or i7 390 or something similar.

If you're looking at the processor be sure get at LEAST a processor with i3, i5 or i7 (more expensive as the numbers increase) with the suffix of 2xxx, i.e., i5 2367 or something similar in the i3, i5 and i7 range.

As for RAM - go for as much as possible. 64 bit computers can use much more RAM, and not only use lots of RAM but are a lot more efficient.

In summary -

8 - 12mb RAM is PLENTY but no harm in getting 16gb if you can afford it.

Decent processor of at least the Sandybridge architecture

What's the best Mac out there? Check out their specs.

If you want help in finding a suitable Mac - then your location and a budget would really help us in helping you

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I bought a 27" iMac last year and don't regret it at all. I actually waited for the new models to come out and then got last years model refurbished.... i saved TONS of money... it was selling refurbished for 22-2300 and i got it for 1550
      i then bought 16 gigs for ram (about 175$) and added apple care and now i have a great new iMac! Specs are quad 2.93 i7, 1 gig graphics card, 1tb hard drive and a bunch of other stuff that i don't remember.

Its really worth checkin out the refurbs and waiting for a new model to come out

Comment

What i7 processor is it though?

Some later i5 processors are better than the early i7 processors

Comment

Oh and I totally agree on the whole "buy the ram yourself". Apple, imo, charges an extortionate amount for extra RAM. If you buy a computer with the base amount of RAM it is spec'd at and don't increase it at buying stage, you can buy RAM for really cheap prices and install it yourself. It's a cinch. And you'll save a fair bit of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post

8 - 12mb RAM is PLENTY
            Just for clarification, I'm pretty sure he meant gb.
            "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Pretty sure I did too

Comment

Originally posted by amapixi View Post
                Hey there, which Mac is the best to buy now we're in 2012!
                iMac, your shopkeep was right on the money. The new ones are pretty good, see if you can replace the Ram though, so if it does seem to slow down a little in Adobe programs, you can update it.

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
                  What i7 processor is it though?

Some later i5 processors are better than the early i7 processors
                  where can i find this info? Its a mid 2011 if that helps

Comment

That's the problem I have with Macs, they don't give you enough information on the parts.

My brother had to download a program to read the parts that were in his Mac. I'll find out later what that actual program is.

He's in Sweden and I'm not, and he's not online at the moment.

Comment

Over the past few years we've replaced all of our towers with iMacs. The only time I have any trouble is with one ad campaign that uses large areas of transparency in InDesign. In high quality display mode there's a significant lag in screen redraw. Working in normal quality there's no problem.
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

All this talk of specifications and processors is nice and all, if your a speed clocker.
                        I have an older 2.66 quad with who knows what processor and with <only> 8gigs of ram yet it handles all the large format stuff I do with all the programs open.

Granted, the more you got, the faster you can get things done, but at what point is it overkill? You can only work so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          Granted, the more you got, the faster you can get things done, but at what point is it overkill? You can only work so fast.
                          I have always gone on the thought that if i have to wait for my computer to do something, then it is slow and needs upgrading. If your not utilising the maximum speed of your computer then it does seem like overkill. Kind of like having a car that goes 160mph but you never take it out of the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fd.ini View Post
                            I have always gone on the thought that if i have to wait for my computer to do something, then it is slow and needs upgrading. If your not utilising the maximum speed of your computer then it does seem like overkill. Kind of like having a car that goes 160mph but you never take it out of the garage.
                            I have an iMac with 16g of memory, and it does most everything pretty darn quickly. At school we have a Mac Pro with 128g of memory. That thing does stuff before you can finish thinking about it. If I had the money for one of those.... well, I probably wouldn't spend it on a computer, but still...
                            http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                              All this talk of specifications and processors is nice and all, if your a speed clocker.
                              I have an older 2.66 quad with who knows what processor and with <only> 8gigs of ram yet it handles all the large format stuff I do with all the programs open.

Any time I'm buying a new computer, I don't spec for what I need right now, I spec for the best I can afford, even if it is overkill. In Photoshop CS6 or CS10 or whatever programme I have to use.

I may not be using Adobe programs, or Corel or whatever in 3 or 4 or even 10 years time.

All I know is I'll go for the best processor that I can get.

Sure on my little Intel Single Core 2.6ghz with 3gb of RAM I can do a heck of a lot with Photoshop.

But I don't know how much longer it will last.

My main point about the processor is, some prices for the i7 are through the roof. And if you check out the model of the i7 processor and find a newer i5 processor that runs faster, basically you're getting a better/faster processor for a cheaper price.

As I said, some i5 processors that came out in Q4 are better than the i7 processors that came out in Q1 - for example.

Rarely does the price in a computer reflect this, usually the slower i7 is priced higher than the faster i5.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X