X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC or MAC

So since I'm new I would hate to start off with this question but.... I have to make a decision for my department on wether to stay mac or switch to a PC platform. Our Macs are very old! Mac OS X Still running CS2 here. We are a small company looking to grow. I know that they are running neck and neck in some aspects, but I really want to make the right decision. Is there anyone who can help me make a wise decision on this? What are the pros and cons?

Oh boy, here we go. Another Mac vs. PC debate.

There are pros and cons for both, and it really just comes down to preference. Weigh the costs of upgrading all your machines and software for both scenarios. Are you a department within a company? Of so, what platform does the rest of the company use? Would changing to PC alter how you connect to the rest of the company's network? Will you need to increase your budget for IT? Will your coworkers be comfortable with a platform switch? Are there programs you use that will not be available on PC? Are you willing to deal with the learning curve if you do switch platforms and change how everything works?

____

We ask all new members to have a read through these important threads with our rules and FAQs. Enjoy your stay!
    Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Prestige View Post
      So since I'm new I would hate to start off with this question but.... I have to make a decision for my department on wether to stay mac or switch to a PC platform. Our Macs are very old! Mac OS X Still running CS2 here. We are a small company looking to grow. I know that they are running neck and neck in some aspects, but I really want to make the right decision. Is there anyone who can help me make a wise decision on this? What are the pros and cons?
      Well, the politically correct answer is this - they are both good options which have their own pros and cons.

My opinion is different.

*What follows is my opinion based on my experience. Your mileage may vary*

Stay with Mac. Upgrade to some new iMacs and call it a day. In my opinion, there aren't any PC's out there that can compete with Macs in the graphic design world. Especially considering you are using Macs anyways, I'd stick with them to eliminate compatibility problems.
      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I'm guessing cost is an issue? For the most part I dwindle it down to preference, what environment you/your employees are comfortable working in, etc. If you go PC, the software you have will not transfer, so you will have to buy anew, if you go MAC the software you have that isn't outdated should transfer without issue. (this also includes some fonts).

What kind of design do you do, is it mainly web or print?
        Last edited by kemingMatters; 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Well, your timing for upgrading the software is off. CS6 only allows you to upgrade from CS3 or newer. So, you'll have to pay full price for the software now.

Pros and cons are how much other software, peripherals, etc. that are Mac specific do you have, and are you willing to pay for PC versions?

Other than that, it comes down to your own personal preference. They both run the software you need (presumably) … it's all up to you.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

You CAN cross-grade the Adobe software. It's a little complicated, but it is possible.

Oops, but Craig is right. From CS2, you'll be paying full price anyway no matter which platform.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Virgo, not from CS2 … it's too old at this point. But yes, normally a one time cross-grade can be accomplished.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I look at it like this:

An Intel based Mac can run Mac OS, Windows, UNIX, and Linux.
                A PC cannot.

Flexibility.
                "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
                LinkedIn

Comment

No there are only two machines in my department. All of our customer service and printsmith users upfront use pc. We are all networked but they don't have access to my files. When we relocate in a couple of months the owner will have an IT company come in and set everything up and keep a contract with them. So basically whatever platform I switch to will only effect maybe three people. I just want to make sure that going PC isn't going to be a problem. It generally seems like its more of a preference but I just want to make the most educated decision.

Comment

You can put out equally good work on either. I do design work on both myself, Mac at the office and PC at home. Switching is really is a matter of cost, convenience and preference.

blog/portfolio

Comment

More than likely your biggest thought will be fonts - do you own licences to them and can you reload them from media you own or can get?

End users that are Mac usually prefer to stay Mac and 27" iMac is a nice machine and priced right.
                      Software is same cost and is same independent of platform.

If you value your employee, stay Mac.
                      "You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it" - Robin Williams

Comment

In my group, we give people a choice. Very few have chosen PCs (mostly copywriters), but it just boils down to personal preference and not a matter of one platform being better than the other. The Adobe apps are largely the same on both, so it makes little difference.

My experience has taught me that it's more difficult to recruit top talent when you tell people they'll be working with PCs instead of a Macs. Attribute that to personal preference, prejudice, long-outdated habits or whatever, but lots of designers just don't want to work for places that insist that they use Windows. I've found that PC users are usually more agreeable to switching to Macs than Mac users are willing to switch to PCs. I'd hate to be the one to break the news to any group of Mac users that they'll soon be switching to Windows (that would lead to a mutiny and, possibly, a lynch mob).

Like I said, though, we give people the choice just to avoid the whole issue.

Comment

I have turned down 2 jobs because they used PCs
                          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                          http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X