Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    <b>
    I was pretty much going to write what PrintDriver already wrote, so I'll just agree with him instead.

In addition, there's also a tendency for some people to inflate things a bit when they're...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    PrintDriver
    What are your education and skill levels?

Remember the salaries listed at salaries.com and even aiga.org are based on respondents to surveys. Quite often you will find with surveys that people...
    Today, 12:49 AM
  • TomMonTom
    Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    TomMonTom
    It's really difficult to price ones ability when offers come in way bellow whatever average there is for the amount of experience anyone seems to have. I'm trying to figure out a good rate is and if any...
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Alright then, thank you all for your answers
    Yesterday, 10:20 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    Right now, at work, I'm using an early 2011 MacBook Pro. It's had no problems at all. I'll likely get a new one early next year, but I'm in no hurry because I don't want to give up the 17-inch display....
    Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tend to bag my own, and I put food with non-food all the time. As long as they're both non-porous, who gives a shit. I do put the heavier stuff on the bottom, that's a given.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• Yeah, but you have to be careful. There's been quite a few cases of food poisoning lately that's been traced back to unclean re-usable grocery bags.

Comment

• You mean the cats aren't supposed to play in them between trips?
        The little cat loves them hanging on a door handle from just one handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by garricks View Post
          Remember the movie "GO!"? There's a great scene where a customer goes off on the cashier for putting some household cleaner in the bag with the baby food (or something, I haven't seen it in a while). It's hilarious.

The whole movie is awesome, if you haven't seen it.
          I do remember go! though I don't remember that particular scene. Memory isn't that great as of late.

Originally posted by Bob View Post
          Yeah, but you have to be careful. There's been quite a few cases of food poisoning lately that's been traced back to unclean re-usable grocery bags.
          I must tell my mother in law as she is a freak about saving and reusing bags, even "saving" the ones I throw away, lol. She is this way about most things. My son broke a nice box, tearing the inside apart and she was trying to figure out how to save. I had to take it from her because I knew it would end up in her "collection". She's a mild hoarder.
          Last edited by MadAmanda; 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by garricks View Post
            I'd immediately fire that client.
            That wasn't my choice to make. I was working for another company at the time and he was the company's client.
            "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
            -Steve Jobs

Comment

• Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
              I tend to bag my own, and I put food with non-food all the time. As long as they're both non-porous, who gives a shit. I do put the heavier stuff on the bottom, that's a given.

I try to mind where the things are going once they go in the kitchen.
              Produce can usually go in the same bag(s)
              Reusable bag can hold all the canned stuff-that all goes in the same cabinet.
              Cold stuff goes with cold stuff
              Raw meats all get in a plastic bag
              Light stuff can all go together.
              This way when I get home i can put each bag in front of where they have to go.

I worked in supermarkets all through HS and some of college.
              I bag quickly.
              I often arrange stuff on the conveyor too. heavy stuff first.
              No sense in sorting things twice.
              Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

• This thread will not die.... it's obviously a zombie.
                Seriously, read this.

Comment

• Originally posted by maynardsayswhat View Post
                  This thread will not die.... it's obviously a zombie.
                  It's only a week old... hasn't even begun to stank much yet!
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• Seamus, now that I think of it I do much of the same. Freezer stuff together, fridge stuff together, etc. And I arrange as such on the conveyor as much as I can.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      Roth, I know you aren't one of those crying about crowdsourcing.
                      But your answers are exactly why there is no hope for GD as a professional Profession.
                      Restrict entry, or get what you get. I'm not saying my 'way' would do anything at all. I'm just a printer and couldn't care less what you guys do. While I might complain a bit about people not knowing print production, my job as pre-flight tech is somewhat secure as I don't see anything changing, even in the very far future.

And I did put the smiley on the crowdsource line just for the reason you stated.
                      I'm not saying a very thorough grounding isn't necessary. But you were a tad extreme.

When you get the 'bad design' come to you, what kind of spread is it - is it poorly trained designers, the kids for sweets ones - do you ask, do you care? Is it a lot? I suppose you're a conduit for all sorts of bad design. Where i just see crap professional, you probably have a whole shades of grey understanding.

Comment

• I do ask about my clients, especially new ones. I also check around to see if my printer friends have heard of them and what I can expect. Printers do talk to each other. There is a definite pattern to what I'm seeing.

If you want this to be a profession, treat it as such. No bleeding heart. It's always been very clear that if change is going to happen it is going to have to come from outside your industry. My comments may seem extreme to some, but I have no vested interest in the outcome other than possibly putting myself out of a job if even half of it is implemented.

The problem is, so many designers right now fall into a gray area that someone is going to get hurt. Which is why it is probably too late to fix the professional requirements at this point. If something had been done in the mid-90s there might have been a chance all of this could have been avoided.

Comment

• PD - Out of curiosity, when you receive bad art do you get a chance to turn it around, state the issues and get the designer to correct them?

As part of my job I end up preflighting ads, that come in from all over the place, for a couple different publications. It's somewhat tedious checking that specs are met, but I usually note errors or things that need correcting and send them back to the designer even if I end up correcting them in the interest of press deadlines.
                          Last edited by kemingMatters; 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM.
                          Design is not decoration.

Comment

• Wow. Designer-supplied ads. Over the years, in most cases, these were always like 'special treats' in most of the stuff I've worked on.

Mind you, many of the crap ones were only labelled, 'designer-supplied'.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to find someone at the business who understood what I really needed (eg. printable resolution photos, logos, etc.) but as time went on I learned it's most often faster to redo the ad myself, if possible. Or just not to make a nice page any uglier than it need be. After some intensive logo safaris and such.

I've also found that if you can't find a decent logo in a PDF on a company's website, the odds of finding one at ALL through any method, drop significantly.

Comment

• We call to discuss options. Usually in the interests of time, I get to fix it.

The ones that cause problems are:
                              Files with specific instructions by contract that they can't be rekeyed or altered in any way.
                              Files with text outlined.
                              Both of those go back to the designer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob View Post
                                Wow. Designer-supplied ads. Over the years, in most cases, these were always like 'special treats' in most of the stuff I've worked on.

Mind you, many of the crap ones were only labelled, 'designer-supplied'.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to find someone at the business who understood what I really needed (eg. printable resolution photos, logos, etc.) but as time went on I learned it's most often faster to redo the ad myself, if possible. Or just not to make a nice page any uglier than it need be. After some intensive logo safaris and such.

I've also found that if you can't find a decent logo in a PDF on a company's website, the odds of finding one at ALL through any method, drop significantly.
                                Okay, they're indirectly supplied by designers (or D-zyneRs - I generally don't bother with these guys), but I'm pretty good at finding them. Mostof the designers are happy to get feedback on the technical issues and quickly address them, occasionally you get an asshat with an ego.
                                Design is not decoration.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X