Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
(Crowd sourced design sites)- Your thoughts? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

  • PrintDriver
    Reply to A Generic Brand Video
    PrintDriver
    I love the harsh commentary on the lastest trendy but tiresome visuals/soundbites.
    Made me laugh just hearing it read aloud on the radio.
    The video makes it awesome!
    Today, 11:19 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to GotP'rint and crop marks
    PrintDriver
    The area marked to avoid putting vital info to close to the edge is called a Safety.

    If sending a PDF to any print company, check that you don't have to first load their specific Job Options...
    Today, 11:17 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Do I have to upgrade my Macbook to run Photoshop ?
    PrintDriver
    Like I said, if you don't have the hard drive space, Photoshop, and to a lesser extent Illustrator, will take forever to do manipulations because they have to seek for a large enough scratch block to...
    Today, 11:05 AM
  • Obar
    Reply to Do I have to upgrade my Macbook to run Photoshop ?
    Obar
    * * * * * IMPORTANT

    I forgot to say that my main concern is that I used to get a loooot this message when I was using this programs.:

    "Could not complete command because...
    Today, 09:48 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    Kayekaye
    It's one thing to be told you need a contract and you have probably heard that a thousand times for years. It's another thing to experience WHY you need a contract. Now you will never make that mistake...
    Today, 05:30 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OK. I have not read the entire threat now but it generally supports what I was thinking about crowdsourcing websites before. I hope this did not get answered in the comments I didn't read, just one question: How do you guys (the freelancers here) get jobs online? Would you share some secrets? I am in a country where I don't speak the language and probably never will, don't know how long I will stay (personal reasons) and potential clients here are rare. You were talking about bidding instead of crowdsourcing, are there sites for this that are acceptable for a professional designer?

    Comment


    • It seems that a website that is basically just "matching" companies and freelancers without expecting any advance work on the job before you have it would be acceptable, yes? Or is there a catch to those, too?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jusut View Post
        How do you guys (the freelancers here) get jobs online? Would you share some secrets? I am in a country where I don't speak the language and probably never will, don't know how long I will stay (personal reasons) and potential clients here are rare.
        The freelancers I know who have built successful careers, don't get their clients online. They have worked (studios or in-house jobs) in the industry for 8-10 years and in that time have gained experience, reputation and contacts.

        I'm sure there are International agencies and some English speaking companies in Budapest, I would start applying for a full-time job, and taking steps to learn Hungarian asap. What experience and credentials do you have under your belt? Your references and portfolio will play heavily in the range of opportunities available to you, given the language problem.
        Originally posted by jusut View Post
        You were talking about bidding instead of crowdsourcing, are there sites for this that are acceptable for a professional designer?
        "Bidding" references companies pitching for clients. Not sure if you read the part about how the bidding participants are invited to pitch for the work after credentials and capabilities reviews.
        Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

        Comment


        • ^exactly.

          Comment


          • Sorry for the delayed answer. I am still getting to know the system in this forum and have replied to the whole threat instead of just you. I appreciate your input, my problem is that I am probably not going to be here very long and the language is one of the most difficult ones in the world (I already speak two languages on a daily basis, that makes it harder still). On top of this I don't know how long I am going to be where ever I'll be - so working over distance would be the only real option to keep clients over a longer time. It does not seem that it is so unusual now. I have seen postings of successful (and good) designers who say they are working long distance at lot of the time. Obviously I would prefer to have a solid local client base somewhere nice and cosy but I think the reality is different now than it was a while ago...everything is moving, global and flexibility is expected. So I am hoping for a nice little client base online... and live in a nice warm place anyway!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jusut View Post
              Sorry for the delayed answer. I am still getting to know the system in this forum and have replied to the whole threat instead of just you.
              You did it right, replies post to the thread.

              Originally posted by jusut View Post
              I have seen postings of successful (and good) designers who say they are working long distance at lot of the time.
              I would hazard a guess that none of them are just starting out. BTW, we still do not have any indication of your status. Have you credentials? Skill? Have you experience? How many years? Have you an outstanding portfolio of (real-world) work? Any contacts (global, if not local)?

              Originally posted by jusut View Post
              Obviously I would prefer to have a solid local client base somewhere nice and cosy but I think the reality is different now than it was a while ago...everything is moving, global and flexibility is expected.
              When I am hiring someone for a job, I want to know that they will meet my expectations. How I determine if the applicant meets my expectations is based on their ability, experience, reputation and referrals. Online bidding/crowdsourcing sites are not the venue for acquiring a "long-term client-base". These venues primarily attract hobbyists who either live in areas that have a very low cost-of-living, people who consider making pennies, a "living"; and clients who want a "design" for less than the cost of a tank of gas, if you "win".

              A recent poster who is not trying to acquire work internationally, recently claimed to be a "successful, working designer". Their rate? 10 slabs of bacon. At that rate, assuming they have enough non-stop, billable work for 12 hr days, every single day, 365 days a year; would amount to 43, 000 slabs of bacon– before taxes. Then deduct a third to half for the tax-man, and you are left with 21, 000 slabs of bacon. This of course is not realistic because it does not take into account a) non-billable work –getting clients, admin time once you have clients, etc. and b) that one would have enough work to bill 12 hr days every day of the year.

              Given the math, would you agree with this persons claim that they are a "successful, working designer"? I would not.

              Originally posted by jusut View Post
              so working over distance would be the only real option to keep clients over a longer time. It does not seem that it is so unusual now.
              It's do-able, but not via bidding/crowdsourcing sites. As I have said before, you have to have some sort of reputation/experience/credentials/skill, etc. to establish a successful and long-term freelance business, on or offline; local or international.
              Last edited by PanToshi; 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM.
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

              Comment


              • Thanks PanToshi! I want to make my situation clearer: I am a university degree designer with 16+ years experience, worked employed and freelance before, in different European countries for quite different industries and completing design tasks ranging from Corporate Design Development/Branding (I like this best) over flyers, magazines, other print materials, advertisements, exhibition design to websites, CMS, and Flash Animations. I have also experience in (online) marketing. I have references at online platforms from freelance clients (3 so far) and from my employed work (2 so far). I have reference letters from my employed work. All references are really positive. Only thing I never got into is awards... Really, what I am looking for is an online portal, where reputable designers can offer their services, showcast some of their work and be hired by reputable and reliable clients. I found one that I think is big in the US (can't include the name, but you'll probably know). I think, I will try it... but if you know of any other sites I would be thankful for tips!
                I totally agree with your statement about rates (although it really depends where in the world you are, how far 10 slices of bacon will get you!).

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jusut View Post
                  I am a university degree designer with 16+ years experience, worked employed and freelance before, in different European countries for quite different industries and completing design tasks ranging from Corporate Design Development/Branding (I like this best) over flyers, magazines, other print materials, advertisements, exhibition design to websites, CMS, and Flash Animations. I have also experience in (online) marketing. I have references at online platforms from freelance clients (3 so far) and from my employed work (2 so far). I have reference letters from my employed work. All references are really positive.
                  With your background and experience, I see no need to meddle with ludicrous bidding/crowdsource sites.

                  Originally posted by jusut View Post
                  Really, what I am looking for is an online portal, where reputable designers can offer their services, showcast some of their work and be hired by reputable and reliable clients. I found one that I think is big in the US (can't include the name, but you'll probably know).
                  Actually, I don't know. However, if you are referring to portfolio sites, that's a different situ. However, if I were you, I would utilize the contacts and reputation of 16 years in the field and let the word spread of my availability. Do you have a portfolio website up?
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

                  Comment


                  • I do have a website, it is up to date but very old. I am in the process of updating it and moving it to a different url. Yes, I guess you are right, I should try and make more use of the contacts I have... it just feels strange to contact people I haven't been in touch with for ages or post on social networking sites: Hey, I am looking for jobs, please give me work...! An other thing was the question of specializing, but that topic really belongs in a different threat. You seem to be around in this forum for a while ;-) Do you know a threat that discusses versatility vs specializing? Thanks for your help!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jusut View Post
                      I do have a website, it is up to date but very old. I am in the process of updating it and moving it to a different url.
                      Get that finished asap!

                      Originally posted by jusut View Post
                      Yes, I guess you are right, I should try and make more use of the contacts I have... it just feels strange to contact people I haven't been in touch with for ages or post on social networking sites: Hey, I am looking for jobs, please give me work...!
                      It's called networking

                      Originally posted by jusut View Post
                      Do you know a threat that discusses versatility vs specializing? Thanks for your help!
                      Hmm, not sure, but you can try the search feature (it's a bit stubborn I find googling the term(s) + graphicdesignforum works better) or just start a new thread of your own.

                      Good Luck!
                      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

                      Comment


                      • General vs. specializing
                        http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=76036
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

                        Comment


                        • Thank you, PanToshi!

                          Comment

                          Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X