Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• JJSilver
    Reply to Unused designs - who owns them?
    JJSilver
    Here's something that will really make your head spin. Not only do I not turn over rejected ideas to the client - but those rejected ideas can be used for other clients. I remember what a very respected...
    Today, 11:22 PM
  • JJSilver
    Reply to How can I place 30 seperate quotes into one poster while still acheiving a nice look?
    JJSilver
    Hello, Amanda! You don't mention whether or not the quotes will be the poster or just on the poster. In other words, are you trying to incorporate other elements into the mix? It also helps to know the...
    Today, 10:59 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Need advice for creating a label
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Magab

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 08:59 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Hello. sFear here! :D
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF sFear

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 08:58 PM
  • rtk3tt
    Reply to Avoid borders when printing?
    rtk3tt
    When working with out bleeds I try to incorporate the margin into the artwork. I do my best to make the margin an element of the design so it looks like the margin was intentional. Sometimes I will leave...
    Today, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get back on track, the same bid process the architects and engineers use works for design firms for projects in the over 5-figure size. Comparing those size jobs to crowdsource client expectations? Not so much.

Hank, you could hire the Pink Panther:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgD6tibL6U
    I especially like the end of that one.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I've been to Falling Water three times!

If you've never been, I would highly recommend trying to do so. It's truly a breathtaking sight, and incredible to realize that it was built as a private 'summer house' right smack in the middle of the Great Depression.

The rural parts of Pennsylvania are also just awesomely gorgeous.

(We used to go whitewater rafting on the Youghiogheny River at the end of May for years. It's truly an enchanting landscape)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
        "It's that easy!"

http://tinyurl.com/6l2fls3
        Bob, your link got asterisked by the forum software.

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
          Might try crowdsource a house.
          Houses I like

TBH:

That one actually looks crowd sourced.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
            Bob, your link got asterisked by the forum software.

Yikes. It's that toxic? Maybe because it contains the word *************? If I had a dot, I'd be calm.

Comment

Beautifully put PD, I think this should be a sticky.
              Seconded.
              Seriously, read this.

Comment

Cool! The words 'Design Contest' (no space) is verbotten!

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                  Fallingwater is awesome. We have a couple FLW homes here in St. Louis, they're spectacular.

This is the first one Wright built in the area, for the Kraus family: http://www.pbase.com/weed30/frank_ll...se_st_louis_mo

I work about 15 minutes from the Usonia Homes.
                  It's a whole neighborhood of site-specific homes.
                  3 of which were designed by Wright, and the other 40-something of them were designed by his firm, under his supervision and approval.
                  Usonia

Its a very nice drive.

What is awful, is the neighboring land-which oup until recently was open land or farms, is now a development of McMansions. It's a shame as some of the Usonia homes now have to look out at giant unused swing-sets and McMansions where originally they would be seeing nature.
                  Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I'm seriously starting to think that my freelance practice (small start up focus) is doomed. Over the years I'm seeing it as being more and more difficult to find clients who actually want advice. Most of the new businesses I talk to now ask me about aesthetics or "have you heard of Vista Print? I hear they have free logos..."

I wonder how expensive culinary schools are......
                    Seriously, read this.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardsayswhat View Post
                      I wonder how expensive culinary schools are......
                      It's much the same as graphic design (okay, you can eat your homework).

There are tons of schools now (at even the high school level!) that offer culinary programs. They are almost all very popular, many are vastly over-subscribed.

It's a creative profession. People love the 'dream' of working in a creative profession. Unfortunately the ol' market reality of supply and demand translates into slim pickings, exploitation, and a tremendously difficult career path. Credentialism is a big problem there too.

Comment

Interesting responses and opinions, very valuable feedback. We actually do something similar, except with a twist; we would be very glad to hear your feedback.

We are a startup that essentially sells crowd-sourced artist designed flipflops that give back both to the artist and those in need. It's quite simple, the artists submit their designs on our website, our community votes on the designs and the winning design is then used to manufacture a run of flipflops. The artist then gets a profit share for each pair sold and we donate a pair to those in need for each pair sold as well.

I have left out our company name, because I actually would like real feedback and don't intend to advertise here.

Thank you

Comment

I really enjoyed my short time in a kitchen during the college years and I have seriously considered going back to that but the payscales are pretty terrible on average. We can all dream of opening up a 4 star restaurant, but the reality is more like flipping flapjacks at a 24-hour diner =P

Then again, would you ask 100 local chefs to cook up a main course and THEN decide who to pay for it? At least chefs don't have this whole crowd-sourcing crap to deal with!
                          Seriously, read this.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardsayswhat View Post
                            I really enjoyed my short time in a kitchen during the college years and I have seriously considered going back to that but the payscales are pretty terrible on average. We can all dream of opening up a 4 star restaurant, but the reality is more like flipping flapjacks at a 24-hour diner =P

Then again, would you ask 100 local chefs to cook up a main course and THEN decide who to pay for it? At least chefs don't have this whole crowd-sourcing crap to deal with!
                            No, I'd ask one chef to make me three meals, then pick the one I'm going to pay for.
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

No, I'd ask one chef to make me three meals, then pick the one I'm going to pay for.
                              That's just MEAN!
                              Seriously, read this.

Comment

LOL maynard, whether 100 chefs make a meal or one chef makes three, somebody's still losing money.
                                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X