• BJMRamage
    Comment on Christmas cards
    BJMRamage
    that bottom link doesn't look like it is right. top link should work/
    Today, 08:23 PM
  • B
    Reply to Logo Critique, Please
    B
    I'm liking the bottom version. Without first reading through any of the posts, it took a second, but I read it as IC9design. Thinking that wasn't likely what was intended, I was surprised to find that...
    Today, 07:21 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Logo Critique, Please
    seamas
    The bottom one is closest of the bunch in terms of being able to read a d or a 9. But it is also looking like an o at a glance.

Beyond that, trying to glean the ORDER of the 9 or d is just...
    Today, 07:04 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    KitchWitch
    Hi Thebombman53 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 06:38 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Apartment Logo Feedback
    PrintDriver
    Signage is never a single driving factor, though it should be considered as being just as important as mobile or print applications. What an odd mindset to have when it comes to branding. Once a logo...
    Today, 06:33 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flipster View Post
    Interesting responses and opinions, very valuable feedback. We actually do something similar, except with a twist; we would be very glad to hear your feedback.

We are a startup that essentially sells crowd-sourced artist designed flipflops that give back both to the artist and those in need. It's quite simple, the artists submit their designs on our website, our community votes on the designs and the winning design is then used to manufacture a run of flipflops. The artist then gets a profit share for each pair sold and we donate a pair to those in need for each pair sold as well.

I have left out our company name, because I actually would like real feedback and don't intend to advertise here.

Thank you
    Feedback: You're no different from the others. You're crowdsourcing, and as a professional designer I won't participate.

If you're thinking you'll get extra consideration because you have a charitable component, you're wrong. You're still asking people to work for nothing more than a chance.

If this comes off as harsh, it's because I'm tired of being asked to work for little to no pay.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Interesting responses and opinions, very valuable feedback. We actually do something similar, except with a twist; we would be very glad to hear your feedback.

We are a startup that essentially sells crowd-sourced artist designed flipflops that give back both to the artist and those in need. It's quite simple, the artists submit their designs on our website, our community votes on the designs and the winning design is then used to manufacture a run of flipflops. The artist then gets a profit share for each pair sold and we donate a pair to those in need for each pair sold as well.

I have left out our company name, because I actually would like real feedback and don't intend to advertise here.

Thank you
      No. If you want custom designed flipflops, you hire a designer that you think would be a good fit, and pay him/her. Like others have said, you wouldn't ask 10 chefs to each cook you a meal, then only offer to pay the one you liked best. Crowdsourcing only attracts amateur designers who probably aren't even giving you the proper file formats.
      "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
      -Steve Jobs

Comment

People who do quality work know they're worth being paid for their skill. I'm not going to waste my talents for the mere possibility for a few bucks. For a mega-huge proposal that I feel I have a real chance at winning, that's different. As such, crowdsourcing will attract the lesser graphic designers. You're mostly going to get stolen artwork and low-resolution crap.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Try asking the manufacturing plant to run 100 different flip flop samples and that you will get back to them once your community wears them for a while to see which is the most comfortable.

The problem with design services is it's not perceived as a 'consumable' item, but in fact it is -- it's consuming the designer's life. And there should be fair compensation for that.

Comment

And as far as the 'winner' being voted on by the community... What that really translates to is a popularity contest. Every entrant will be spamming their Facebook friends with "PLEASE VOTE FOR ME!" status updates. The best design doesn't win. The teenager who 'messes around' with images they found on Google using a hacked version of Photoshop will end up with the most votes. Is this age of the Internet and social media, the truly best original design will always lose.

blog/portfolio

Comment

That's an interesting point. Graphic design tends to be a bit of a refuge camp for skilled introverts. Skillful, powerful solutions created by shy introverts don't stand a chance online against mediocrity wielded by well-connected charismatics.

Comment

I wouldn't even consider this as a design "opportunity."

Comment

Sure it is. It's an opportunity to use unfair business practices on a largely clueless bunch of skilled (and unskilled) artists.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                    That's an interesting point. Graphic design tends to be a bit of a refuge camp for skilled introverts. Skillful, powerful solutions created by shy introverts don't stand a chance online against mediocrity wielded by well-connected charismatics.
                    I wasn't really thinking skilled+introverted designer vs. non-skilled+social. More that the people who know/believe they are skilled and deserve to win are probably thinking that their entry will win on merit as opposed to personal popularity. I might be wrong on that.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Thank you
                      you can put a hat, shirt, shoes, and pants on a dog, it's still a dog. pay the artists a fair share and call it a day. how does know they are getting the proper profit share? do they get to look at your books? i'd rather do work for a legit charity or cause in my area then do work with the slight chance of getting paid a percentage

didn't Toms do the sell a pair, give a pair away thing?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

So a crowdsourced flipflop sales operation, eh? Interesting.

So start with the designers that's a given. It must be weird to have hundreds of management staff show up each day and only a couple get paid. An army of accountants coming in and crunching numbers each day and only a couple get paid you'd think they of all people would catch on. A whole gaggle of lawyers just lawyering their asses off to be one of the lucky few. Then you've got the manufacturers pumping out thousands, maybe millions of flipflops on the slim chance of getting any compensation. Warehouse and distribution people galore, furiously scrambling for those elusive pennies. Then of course there will be the webhosting companies and merchant accounts to think of...

You know come to think of it, that's starting to sound kind of unfair. How about you just screw the designers instead? It's for a good cause.

Comment

What's even more awesome, they are crowd-funding their 'start-up' too.
                          Last edited by PanToshi; 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM.
                          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Typically View Post
                            you can put a hat, shirt, shoes, and pants on a dog, it's still a dog.
                            Yeah, but you put lipstick on it and it becomes the former governor of Alaska!
                            Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Thank you
                              So you make low quality sandals that are bad for your feet and need to make them prettier to try to sell them. You can buy flip flops for a couple bucks, so I see why you are trying to get by with as little art cost as possible, there's barely room for profit already. I've never understood why people like flip-flops or bother buying more expensive ones because of a print they end up covering/wearing off with their feet.

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                              LOL maynard, whether 100 chefs make a meal or one chef makes three, somebody's still losing money.
                              The one chef making three meals, would probably charge you three and a half the cost of making just one meal.
                              Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                                Yeah, but you put lipstick on it and it becomes the former governor of Alaska!
                                I just spit water on my keyboard....
                                "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X