X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recreating an image

I have a client whose wedding invitations I will be working on. She saw something online she liked and sent it to me as an example of the style she wants. I sent her some proofs back... using different fonts, paper, and it includes a graphic. She replied saying she likes everything... except she wants to stick closer to the original graphic. I have no problem redrawing it, and I'm sure I can sell her on slight modifications. But where is the line here if she ends up unmoving in her vision? How close to the original is too close?

That line is drawn by how hungry you are.
    Personally, I would try asking her more about the event and try to capture that into a more personalized graphic, but you gotta be willing to take the risk to do it. Study the sample she sent you and try to capture the same feeling, but capture her/them also.
    Last edited by kemingMatters; 05-23-2012, 03:13 AM.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

What is the origin of the image the client likes? If it's freebie clip art, you're free to redraw it. If it's a copyrighted photo or drawing, even redrawing it may give you possible legal issues. Try to trace the image back to it's owner and see what you're working with exactly.

Then as Keming said, you'll need to make a judgment call.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Just remember when you make that judgement call that copyright law is not founded upon personal opinion. It is U.S. and international law.
        Last edited by sully1251; 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM.
        http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X