X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change strokes transparent?

I have a design that is multiple shapes overlapped and I added a stroke that matches the backgroung to make a cool cutout effect. Now I need to add the design to a gradient and I have no idea how to make the stroke transparent. And from googling I hear "expand appearence" should work but it is grayed out for me!

Adobe Illustrator CS6

Outline strokes to paths then pathfinder your way to the puzzle pieces.

Or, I suppose you could just make a new layer and draw the irregular shapes pretty quickly. Shift is your friend!
    Seriously, read this.

Comment

The stokes need to be a negative space, not strokes. Instead of creating strokes around the boxes, create an offset path for each box (object > path > offset path). Play around with the offset dimension until you get it to where you like it. This will create a larger box behind each existing box. Use the pathfinder pallet to knock our those larger boxes from any other box it intersects.
      "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
      -Steve Jobs

Comment

You can make any collection of common strokes transparent by using the Appearance palette and highlighting the Stroke item, and changing the Opacity in the main Control palette.

But if you wanted to make the stroke a gradient transparency in Ai, I'm not so sure how to do that independently -- that is, like you can in InDesign.

Comment

Oh, I get it. (Now)

Sorry. If it's as Sketcher described it, then -- yeah, the best way is pathfinder your way home.

Comment

You don't know how much a sign guy hates those applied attributes using the Appearance palette. Especially in Illustrator, which doesn't have the easiest color swap abilities...in fact, the color palette in Illustrator is one of my MAJOR peeves that hasn't been addressed by Adobe since its inception.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X