Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking not too long ago with my brother's father-in-law, a graphic designer who did a lot of work for the L.L. Bean catalog, and who went to art school in the 60s. He said at that time, it was almost like there were two schools, one that taught traditional skills and a new, emerging claque that was more theory-based and conceptual. "It used to be that all designers could draw," he said, "now I work with Art Directors, they can't draw, they're 'idea men.'" I guess the type slips into various strata of the organization, depending on where you are.
    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
      Funny, I find that more with Client Services.
      Keming, this might make your head explode then, but I am a Client Services Assistant, in the Client Services department, but I have a Graphic Design degree so they throw me projects that they want on the cheap, and I happen to work next to a person with Marketing degree.

How's that for a mix? (alas, small businesses...)

Luckily, the Client Services Director is most excellent! No hubris at all.

Comment

At least he works with Art Diretors. I wouldn't care if they could draw or not, really. Just as long as they understand basic design theory.

Most of the people (clients) I deal with are 'visionairies' or representatives of 'visionairies'. These are the people who are paid lots of money to gather in large herds, for hours on end, in expensive meeting rooms to discuss strategies and return to design/production with vision-filled briefs like: "We need new brochures and an ad campaign for our new program. Now we really haven't named or defined the program yet. Or written any copy. Or appraoch. But we all agree it's going to be great. So it should be easy for you guys to write/design something really good! Right?"

As to your father-in-law's lost world of design...

Imagine a world where designers mostly... designed. That's it. Design. Where they didn't also have to write the copy; set the type; take the picture; correct, tweak and tune the picture; design/update/degug/maintain the web version; and cram in a new web coding language while eating lunch at their desk....

Comment

The 'marketing/sales' person we have here isn't an idiot. She's a complete MORON.

blog/portfolio

Comment

But does she have a nice smile?

Comment

I dislike her so much, I can't even stand her smile. I cringe every time she walks in the room.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                I dislike her so much, I can't even stand her smile. I cringe every time she walks in the room.
                That is how I feel about ours, only when I hear his voice I want to punch him. He knows EVERYTHING.
                "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

Originally posted by dragondreamer View Post
                  Keming, this might make your head explode then, but I am a Client Services Assistant, in the Client Services department, but I have a Graphic Design degree so they throw me projects that they want on the cheap, and I happen to work next to a person with Marketing degree.

How's that for a mix? (alas, small businesses...)

Luckily, the Client Services Director is most excellent! No hubris at all.
                  Client Services Reps have assistants? The ones I've dealt with were the muddy pool you had to talk to a client through.

At my first job, I had Client Services ask me to redesign an ad that I had just finished to fit "their vision" before the client even saw it. So I recreated "their vision" and the client discarded it immediately, they then showed them my original ad and that's what the client went with... Maybe Client Services is different in El Paso, but here they are a cross between a sales rep and an administrative assistant (with fewer responsibilities) and tend to try and act like they are ADs or CDs.
                  Design is not decoration.

Comment

We have a "yes, mm-hmm, gotcha, yeah right right right" woman in marketing.
                    totally clueless.
                    Dribbble Page
                    Behance Portfolio
                    Linkedin Profile

Comment

Maybe Client Services is different in El Paso, but here they are a cross between a sales rep and an administrative assistant (with fewer responsibilities) and tend to try and act like they are ADs or CDs.
                      No, you hit the nail on the head about the sales rep/admin assistant. That is what we do, and we are also responsible for ensuring the right server/desktop/whatcha'ma'call it thing gets quoted to the client, and then we translate "Technical Speak" into English. However, it just so happens that the pair of Assistants they hired have a Marketing and a Graphic Design degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                        Imagine a world where designers mostly... designed. That's it. Design. Where they didn't also have to write the copy; set the type; take the picture; correct, tweak and tune the picture; design/update/degug/maintain the web version; and cram in a new web coding language while eating lunch at their desk....
                        So I'm NOT crazy? There is supposed to be a Copy Editor who is in charge of the written word, to ensure it communicates the details clearly, and it's up the Designer to ensure it is arranged in a thoughful manner that provokes attention, and then directs it to a call for action? That's what's supposed to happen?

So I guess in the current era, a Graphic Designer is expected to be some wizard who is at once a poet/photographers/programmer/artists/illustrator/software nerd?

Comment

So I'm NOT crazy? There is supposed to be a Copy Editor who is in charge of the written word, to ensure it communicates the details clearly, and it's up the Designer to ensure it is arranged in a thoughful manner that provokes attention, and then directs it to a call for action? That's what's supposed to happen?

So I guess in the current era, a Graphic Designer is expected to be some wizard who is at once a poet/photographers/programmer/artists/illustrator/software nerd?
                          You forgot IT guy, psychic and wielder of time

No, you hit the nail on the head about the sales rep/admin assistant. That is what we do, and we are also responsible for ensuring the right server/desktop/whatcha'ma'call it thing gets quoted to the client, and then we translate "Technical Speak" into English. However, it just so happens that the pair of Assistants they hired have a Marketing and a Graphic Design degree.
                          You must have a fortunate art department, almost every CS I've dealt with didn't have a clue what they were selling (product OR process). For example, I require a vector version of a clients logo, so I ask CS for a vector version of their logo in .ai or .eps format. CS does one of two things: 1) they ask for the client for a copy of their logo - failing to mention the need for vector art or the format OR 2) they go to the client's website and send me the low res .gif from its header...

Comment

You forgot IT guy, psychic and wielder of time

You must have a fortunate art department, almost every CS I've dealt with didn't have a clue what they were selling (product OR process).

More stuff to make your head explode. We are the IT guys It's an IT Firm, there is no art department. I don't get to do Graphics for a living, only for the company's convenience So you can imagine what it's like being a creative cat in the aisles of function-only IT personnel.

Comment

You must have a fortunate art department, almost every CS I've dealt with didn't have a clue what they were selling (product OR process). For example, I require a vector version of a clients logo, so I ask CS for a vector version of their logo in .ai or .eps format. CS does one of two things: 1) they ask for the client for a copy of their logo - failing to mention the need for vector art or the format OR 2) they go to the client's website and send me the low res .gif from its header...
                              Or embed the .jpg into an .ai file. It's in Illustrator, so it must be vector, right?
                              "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                              -Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
                                Or embed the .jpg into an .ai file. It's in Illustrator, so it must be vector, right?
                                or they just change the extension... logo.gif > right click > rename > logo.ai TADA!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X