Looking for good online print vender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good online print vender

Iam looking for a good wholesale printer that has cheap prices and fast turnaround. Anyone have any ideas? I have been using Gotprint. They are dirt cheap but turnaround os slow.

We have a saying around here, good, fast, cheap, pick any two

Comment

i wanted to find all 3 in one shot. Lol. I guess what i am asking is for a better solution than gotprint.com. I am seriously debating leasing equipment to reduce production cost and lead time.

Comment

I've never been a fan of online print vendors. I prefer to go to local printers so I can visit them in person if I have to.

What are you looking to print?
        "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
        -Steve Jobs

Comment

I am mostly doing flyers, business cards, small saddle stiched booklets etc. Mostly short runs, 1000 or under. I agree about local shops being a good choice. I have a good relationship with a local shop that gives me wholesale pricing. On large runs they do very good. On short runs they are very pricey. For instance I just wrapped up a job that cost me $120 at Gotprint. The local shop would have been over $300. If I lease a printer for $250 a month I could have produced that job for around $40. The probelm with online companies is they ship directly to the client and I never see the product. Therefor I have no control over that quality. Be leasing my own equipment I could ensure a high quality product and greatly reduce production costs and lead times. Anyone care to comment on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeyewta View Post
            I am mostly doing flyers, business cards, small saddle stiched booklets etc. Mostly short runs, 1000 or under.
            If I lease a printer for $250 a month...
            What kind of printer? Is it a desktop printer? Unlikely to be press quality IMO.
            Will you be leasing a folder and a trimmer and a stitcher too? Does that monthly lease include ink?
            Be leasing my own equipment I could ensure a high quality product and greatly reduce production costs and lead times. Anyone care to comment on this?
            Have you calculated for time? How long will it take for you to print 1000 booklets, fold, trim and bind them...? What about waste? Packing? Shipping?
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Pan, You saved me the trouble.
              Can't imagine what kind of machine you can lease for $250 a month.

An online doesn't have to ship directly to the client. You TELL them to ship it to you. End of story.

As Kool said, pick two.

Comment

4over.com

However you need to establish a trade account and they usually only allow established freelancers / companies to utilize their services

I have used them many times, excellent prices, quality, and service. Haven't found anything online that can hold a candle to them.

Comment

I am mostly doing flyers, business cards, small saddle stiched booklets etc. Mostly short runs, 1000 or under. I agree about local shops being a good choice. I have a good relationship with a local shop that gives me wholesale pricing. On large runs they do very good. On short runs they are very pricey. For instance I just wrapped up a job that cost me $120 at Gotprint. The local shop would have been over $300. If I lease a printer for $250 a month I could have produced that job for around $40. The probelm with online companies is they ship directly to the client and I never see the product. Therefor I have no control over that quality. Be leasing my own equipment I could ensure a high quality product and greatly reduce production costs and lead times. Anyone care to comment on this?
                  I pretty much did the same thing. I have a reasonably strong printing background which has helped me immensely. I highly doubt that I could sustain my business with a $250/month printer, though. Even if you can get satisfactory quality from it on text and coverstock, at the very least you'll need a folder and a trimmer. My printer costs considerably more than $250, but if I still need to outsource to local printers.

Then there's the whole shopping for paper headache. My last paper supplier is no longer selling to small businesses, which means finding new sources that aren't charging double what I was paying before.

It's worked out for us, but it isn't as easy as pushing a button and watching your printed pieces fall neatly into the hopper.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                    An online doesn't have to ship directly to the client. You TELL them to ship it to you. End of story.
                    My thoughts exactly.

When I use online printing for clients, I usually have it come to me first so I can see it before the client does and then I'll forward it on.

Comment

I've always been very fond of 4over.com. They have multiple facilities around the country, and they do just about everything you'd ever need.

We used Got Print at a place I worked but we had some issues with their product. We switched to 4over and noticed it was much faster than Got Print, and we never really had any issues except for one cutting error (which they replaced).

Comment

Go local. If you go local, you can be present to physically sign off on a proof or even for a press pass. In my experience, your local printer has a faster turnaround time than national gang-run printers.

I might be biased as I work for a "local" printing company. Although we still print jobs from the other side of the country.

We always keep samples for our job bags and send samples to the broker. The job usually goes to the client (in a plain box) unless otherwise specified.
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Depending on the client and the project at hand, we use both local printers and 4over. When color or stock are critical we will go to a local printer since we will have greater control over the end product. Some clients aren't especially picky about either, so those jobs often go to 4over. We've had very few issues with them. Good quality, it's cheap, great range of products.

4over is actually local to us as they have a facility 10 miles away. Most of the time we actually pick our jobs up directly from them. They also offer free delivery since we're so close, so for most of their products there's no shipping charge.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I use partnerprinting. They are also a trade only site. I get good quality, good color, great prices and fast turnaround. They'll ship where you want. Never tried 4over, gotprint doesn't do so great on color so I won't use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                              We have a saying around here, good, fast, cheap, pick any two
                              That's the way of the land. If anyone ever finds themselves with all three...pinch yourself haha
                              *NO ADVERTISING*

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                                Reply to Bleed problem! Image to the edge
                                StudioMonkey
                                It is quite impossible to cut a stack of paper exactly on the trim marks. Apart from the accuracy of the cut, which can be problematic, there are other factors;

- if printed on a digital...
                                Today, 06:32 AM
                              • StudioMonkey
                                Comment on Help Creating Textures In Illustrator
                                StudioMonkey
                                This is how I do it too - take a few quick photos of interesting surfaces while you're out and about and then play around with them in PhotoShop. Once you've done a few like this you get a better idea...
                                Today, 06:13 AM
                              • StudioMonkey
                                Reply to Vistaprint debacle
                                StudioMonkey
                                Wow
                                Today, 06:06 AM
                              • kaila58
                                Reply to Portfolio critique
                                kaila58
                                Good point, but in my opinion it's distracting in a portfolio and lacks attention to detail when displaying work.
                                Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Portfolio critique
                                PrintDriver
                                Ha, I noticed the printing and registration marks and thought it refreshing to see a designer who knows to include them....
                                Yesterday, 10:00 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X