X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ergonomic Mouse for Carpal Tunnel

I don't remember if I've been properly diagnosed or not (it's been a long time), but my symptoms were that of CPS or tendinitis. The point is that I had become unable to use a normal mouse to work, mainly editing video.

Then I started using a 3M vertical mouse and my life changed. Then I bought a Microsoft Natural Mouse and served me well for a good while. Now I'm not entirely comfortable with it, and would like to know if some of the heavy clickers out there have an ergonomic mouse to recommend.

Thanks.
    Insert T-shirt quote here

Not me. Sorry.
    I used something ergonomic-like when I had a PC. But after going to Mac - mighty mouse and then the Magic Mouse, I have to say I love the anti-ergonomic feel of them. I think I hold the mouse lighter and will move my hand more often to avoid continuous stationary feel.

Sorry not much help here.
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRamage View Post
      Not me. Sorry.
      I used something ergonomic-like when I had a PC. But after going to Mac - mighty mouse and then the Magic Mouse, I have to say I love the anti-ergonomic feel of them. I think I hold the mouse lighter and will move my hand more often to avoid continuous stationary feel.

Sorry not much help here.
      This. The Magic Mouse is so light and easy to move.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
        This. The Magic Mouse is so light and easy to move.
        If you want it even lighter get the rechargeable Mobi or something. It is supposed to make it feel like no batteries at all.
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

I was having trouble with rsi symptoms and began doing a bunch of reading online about the subject. Most of the sights had all the same stuff. Use proper posture, desk height, get ergo mice, keyboards, take breaks etc. Stuff I had tried already without much success. (Except for using my digital pen and tablet to replace my mouse which did help a lot) I ran across a website (personal blog actually) which made more sense than any of the stuff that was being repeated every where. Unfortunately I cant remember the address to the site. Any way, he said he had tried it all, expensive ergo mice, keyboards, and the weird chairs without backs that you sort of kneel on. He noticed that those things would work for a while and then he would start having the trouble again. So a thought hit him. It was the change that made the difference, not necessarily the design. So he got a couple of larger mice that he liked that were a bit different shape, a couple of different wireless keyboards, one anti-rsi where you hold your fingers and wrists at a bit of an angle, and a normal one, and he also traded out chairs with someone else willing to do so in the office. Through out the day he would switch back and forth between the mice and the keyboards. Change his chair height slightly up and down, and switch out the chair every few days or so. He said his rsi symptoms never came back. And this would seem to work because the slight changes prevent the same repetitive strain. I don't know if this same method would help with full on carpel tunnel or not, but it has help me.

But then a second thing that worked for me. One day the pain hit a lot worse. It was so sudden it was weird. Three or four days, and I was really struggling through the day. Then my wife suggested a chiropractor. I said, "For my wrist?" So I went to see the guy anyway, and he did not even touch my wrist just gently massaged my shoulder with increasing circular pressure, and then there was a very slight pop. He said he thought it was a pinched nerve and that many who think they have rsi or carpel tunnel don't. Next day, absolutely no symptoms for me. Maybe it was just a placebo effect, but I don't care because it worked. It has come back from time to time, but I usually just ask my wife to do the same thing he did while I lay on the floor, and it has worked.

It's worth a shot.

Comment

Yup love the magic mouse the first mouse from apple that was functional and a damn good mouse from apple...remember the puck? Also in conjunction I have the apple track pad and all of them integrated with my intuos.
            "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
            Aesop

Comment

I have to have an ergo seating position and an absolute parallel elbow bend to the mouse. And the mouse is a logitech M500 it fits perfectly in the palm of my hand with my wrist set firmly on the desk. So I'm in a very relaxed position using the mouse. I'm on the computer upwards of 18 hours a day this year. Every couple hours I do get up move around and shake out my hands, neck, and shoulders. This habit started as a requirement at one of my old jobs and still do it today.

My mom developed a rotator cuff issue in her shoulder from bad ergo at her old job. Her shoulder would get hitched up and her mouse was to far to the right causing stress. The job replaced desks and chairs, which helped.

Comment

I agree Drazan, my hours are in front of the computer are getting much longer.
                I've found getting up and moving even if it is for no reason other than to get blood flowing.
                "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
                Aesop

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X