X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest / Apprentice Proposal

I would like to make a proposal if I might.
    It seems that there are a lot of up-and-coming designers in this forum that are willing to do whatever it takes to get a start in the industry. It also seems that there are more established practitioners chiding, or advising these youngsters against some of the less lucrative avenues for gaining experience.

Personally I am tempted to use these services because it gives me a legitimate opportunity to deal with clients and get a stronger appreciation for the business side of graphic design which we could not get during school. As an alternative to using these services I would suggest that we possibly start some sort of mentoring-contest program.

This may sound silly but this is what I was thinking. What if we paired up a younger designer with an older more established professional. We could pair up teams on the basis of experience (a fresh grad would be teamed up with a grisly old veteran). Each week we could propose an exercise or contest that would be completed by each team, at the end of each week the entries could be submitted and voting or judging would commence.

I think the assignments would give us all an opportunity to keep sharp and the healthy competition would be about as close to inustry competetition as I could come up with. We could even keep a running tab of the teams scoring and things.

I understand that this would take a fair bit of commitment and I am sure everyone is busy. But I think it might be something that could benefit everyone involved.

</div>

Match in the gas tank, boom boom.
    match in the gas tank, boom boom

it sounds good

but i am a very busy person... to busy getting busy... lol... i wouldnt mind taking on an apprentice... im getting old... i need to pass on my kungfu skills and my crouching tiger technique

Graphic design is my obsession and digital abstract art stimulates my mind.

Comment

Sounds like very good idea to me

Hope I make it some day

One out of three people have a mental disorder. Take a look at two of your best friends, if they're normal, it's you..

Comment

that sounds good to me, too. I'd love to have the guidance of a more experienced designer.

Nicholas
        www.marthend.com

Comment

Would it be appropriate to possibly have one of the Mods get involved? I am not sure if there is enough interest to start something like this, but it would be great to have someone with a little more experience get involved.

Comment

I think there will be problems with finding enough experienced people to pair up with the less experienced..

Hope I make it some day

One out of three people have a mental disorder. Take a look at two of your best friends, if they're normal, it's you..

Comment

then thing is many of the experienced designers are very busy and dont have the time....I know everyone here wants to help everyone they can but many of the 'elders' are trying to feed there families also.....

if you are looking to learn check out the job listing there is always free work around

JUST LAUNCHED - www.hirethisdesigner.com - check it out

Comment

of course id be interested in this since im a beginner hehe

Comment

Ok here is a sub-proposal then. If anyone (anyone being unexperience, recently graduated people, or anyone else) is interested, I would like to maybe do a weekly or monthly project to keep sharp. I find it hard to just sit down and do something, it might be beneficial for us to come up with some sort of guidelines and stipulations and then post everyones take on the project and see what kind of response we get.

Comment

EN (yes you now have an acronym) I have been following this thread and while I think your ideas have merit organizing what you propose would be pretty hard in here. Very few people enter the contests that we already have. You should try some of those graphic design battle forums. Then come in here to hang out get real help with your questions. [img]/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

'I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me.' Abraham Simpson

Comment

Thanks for the advice Kool, do know of any specific forums that are setup like that?

Comment

If you find out a way to get your thing goin' , Eraser I would be Very interested. I am just about to start college, and well I wanna be good. A lot of my graphic design will be learned out of class, since in graphic design you learn by anyalysing other work and doing your own work. your idea would be great. It would also be a way that people can watch each other grow as graphic designers.

Ice Design, By Liam Hockley
                        "LifeIs A Learning Experience, You LiveAndYou Learn."

Comment

Oh my god, is this great, Can I have a guide I am an up and coming designer.....Never got to go to school and am trying to learn on my own

Comment

yeah, i am askin the same as rjphotograph. I want a guide it would be a great oppurtunity for me to get my graphic design skills real good as I go through college. like a kinda helper, that can point me in the right direction. PERM has been helping me a lot.

Ice Design, By Liam Hockley
                            "LifeIs A Learning Experience, You LiveAndYou Learn."

Comment

I like the idea of a weekly exercise we could all do and perhaps compare our work with each others'.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X