Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• fine1
    Reply to Project Ideas. HELP!
    fine1
    sometimes looking at a thesaurus helps me to see the "word" in a different manner, to induce creativity
    Today, 11:42 PM
  • redeyesi
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    redeyesi
    I'm liking this idea as an alternative...
    Today, 11:39 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Biggest Resume Mistakes and How to Correct Them
    PrintDriver
    Some common sense there. Typos are deal killers.

The part about confidential info...unless the interviewer knows it's confidential how do they know it's a leak? I guess by the way it's worded...
    Today, 11:12 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Project Ideas. HELP!
    PrintDriver
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you are going to find that being a designer means coming up with ideas on your own. If you come up with ideas, we'll critique them for you, but we aren't...
    Today, 11:04 PM
  • paulw_69
    Project Ideas. HELP!
    paulw_69
    Hey guys I'm new here, my name is Paul and I got my associates degree in graphic design from Tunxis Community College. I am now continuing my education at the University of Hartford. I have an assignment...
    Today, 10:33 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Promotion

I am looking for fresh, new, creative ideas in self promotion. My area has been hard hit with loss of industry and the general economy. I have not done any self promotion in many years since all of my work resulted from referrals.

I am brainstorming with a few of my colleagues and would like additional input to keep me aware of what is out there these days. Tell me what you have done that was successful in obtaining good clients.

Thanks for your time.
    K

networking events, I don't know where you are at, but in the USA we have whats called 'Chamber of commerce' and they usually have weekly 'mixers' and networking oppurtunities. it costs around the same as the AIGA to be a member, but you can meet face to face with people sometimes 3 times a week. Here in AZ we have Phoenix Chamber, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, even a chamber for hispanic and black cultures. Look into these options in your area. Also if you join any kind of small business networking events that helps too.

censored by the all mighty gods of reality.
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

D-Frag is just full of useful information.

<end of line>

[b]<a target='_blank' href= 'http://azpunk.com'>AZPUNK.com</a></b>

[b]<a target='_blank' href= 'http://mad740.com'>MAD740.com</a></b>

Comment

D-Frag's right. Networking events are biggies. I did very well at County Chamber of Commerce meetings in picking up work. Also keep your ears open for opportunities in conversation - if you hear that a friend of a friend of yours is opening up a new coffee shop - ask if they have a logo or corporate identity. Things can really start to get rolling.

As for the creative aspect of self promoting - I have recently been very enthralled with tactile design - using physical elements in unique ways (other than paper) in your material.

For example, instead of a business card - you could use very small semi-translucent envelopes made of finely ridged paper, shaped like business cards with only your essential information printed on them. I saw one designer do this in a book I bought on tactile design and he said that the "non-card" recipients would open the envelope and look inside even though they knew it was empty. The designer said that everybody thought it was very clever and it did quite well in getting him work. This doesn't have to be the particular approach you use - but you may want to think "outside the box" in your total mindset of communicating your brand. Think in 3D.

'Nullum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.'

'There has never been any great genuis, without the element of madness.'

-Seneca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X