Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• iambunny
    Reply to I now work full-time for a printer!
    iambunny
    Wow, I just came to check on this post and realized that what I typed on my phone on my lunch break on Friday did not go through like I thought it did. Sorry guys!

Anyway, thanks so much...
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Hello GDF!
    KitchWitch
    Mini welcome tacos!

Today, 12:46 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to School assignment: Collateral campaign
    PrintDriver
    Um...do you seriously want to focus on blowing bubbles for a disease that pretty much drowns you in mucous???
    Today, 12:31 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to New Logo
    Roth
    The blue scales remind me of Bumblebee's face. Whichever way you choose to go, make it the simpler version, so for example the two circles rather than the literal scales, you want to show not tell. Make...
    Yesterday, 10:33 PM
  • Roth
    Reply to Poster critique
    Roth
    He looks like he's been in a fight with a cassette.

You can't do a poster and assume you'll throw all the imporant when and where stuff in later. They're integral.
    Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There must be an easier way...

I am trying to create a patterned effect in Illustrator sort of like this image (attached) but I don't want to have to place each of the small circles because I am sure that there is a more accurate, less frustrating way.

I want the little circles to overlap all the way around the larger circle. Anybody know a better way?
    Attached Files
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Okay, I solved it this way.

I created two circles across from each other and grouped them.

I opened the Actions Menu and made a new action to record.
    I copied the group and pasted in front (command-f).
    I transformed the newly pasted by rotating it 5 degrees.
    I stopped recording.

Then I replayed the recording by clicking the play button, which then creates and rotates the objects.
    Attached Files
    Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
    Through the Looking Glass

Comment

thanks Vikia!

Comment

As EC knows, my favorite saying is "if it takes longer than ten minutes to do... there must be software solution somewhere" and if you don't have a script...make one.

Comment

Another (non-script) route using keyboard shortcut:

Rotate tool. Click to set rotation point. Alt-drag circle, use Object/Transform Again-- be sure to assign a keyboard shortcut to this, and then just repeat the keystroke.

[cough] One of the great things with Corel's Grouping tool is that you can map a group to a path--including a circle, for example. Working with groups allows you to change the number of objects at any time.

Another route for AI users? Drop the little circle into the Brush palette as a Scatter Brush. Apply this brush to the big circle, with Scattering set to zero and fixed. This is neat because you can scale and adjust scaling, spacing and position relative to path (the Scattering command on fixed) while previewing it within the Scatter Brush Options. If you're using a different shape-- say a triangle, you can also control the rotation to path to have it point the same way.

Comment

Cool - that's kind of like a Spirograph!

Comment

cool, broacher you are a vector whiz.

Comment

I was sure that there was a way to do it with a brush - that's it.

Great tips, folks!

Comment

>>broacher you are a vector whiz<<

You should see me with edible cheese products.

Comment

Lmao!
                    I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

aw, c'mere guys... big group hug!

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                        aw, c'mere guys... big group hug!
                        MMmmmmwwwwaaaaaahhhhhahhHHH!

Comment

Now thats a smart way. Learned something.

Comment

With Corel, I can also take a blended group of the small circles and blend it along a larger circle path. That way I get equal spacing, and I can adjust the spacing (if I use a clone to create the blend control objects, I can also control the sizing, colour, rotation, etc.).

Now in AI, I can use 'Blend/Replace Spine' to do almost the same thing-- except I don't know of a way to distribute the circles equally, automatically along the big path. Is there a way? I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher

[cough] One of the great things with Corel's Grouping tool is that you can map a group to a path--including a circle, for example. Working with groups allows you to change the number of objects at any time.
                              Whoa! That's awesome. I love learning stuff like this

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X