Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to HI!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF George

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Typography resources.
    BillyLogan
    Thanks for sharing! I'v been looking for this on the web for hours for my next project and here it is!
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with document set up and layout!

This might get confusing because I'm not sure how ask the question. I am not familiar with graphic design nor setting up documents for printing. Anyhow, I need to create a saddle-stitched brochure, finished size is 8.5"H x 5.5"W. I am creating the brochure in Indesign. How do I set up the document layout? It's an 8-page brochure (including cover). Do I set up the document to be 8.5" x 11" (11" doubles the width) and then place the front and back cover information on the same page? Assuming that is true, then I would keep the information from page 2 and 7 on the same page also. The same would be true for page 3 and 6, and 4 and 5. I hope that's not too confusing, but I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!

you're right. An easy way to remember that is that your spreads will add up to one more than the total number of pages... since it is 8 pages, your corresponding pages will add up to 9:

8 and 1
    2 and 7
    6 and 3
    4 and 5
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. That little mathematical equation is a cool little device to know about. Thanks again.

Comment

you want to lay them out the way I listed them though...

evens on the left, odds on the right... to make sure it will fold properly.

Comment

Ahh, that makes sense. Glad you pointed that out.

Comment

Comment

make your self a little sample, and put giant numbers on them after you fold the pages and that will help you place pages where
              Less be more.

Comment

typically a printer will do what they call printer spreads. so you can have seperate pages 1-8 in that order and when the printer goes to print it onto film they set it up so the page order is correct.
                "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Actualy, the InDesign and Quark has a little aplication called Imopser. ALAP is the best Imposing Plug-in I know (besides the in-program imposer from CorelDraw but this is not the case ) here it is a link to the page where you will find it. if working in InDesign or Quark you should make faceing pages in order:
                  2 - 3
                  4 - 5
                  6 - 7

This is how this should look like. Then, if you print this at a print shop, the pre-press guy should know how to impose it right.

http://www.alap.com/ home of the Imposer software.
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder !

Comment

sorry, I didn't clarify... the way I showed is the way that I set up the programs for my theater group because they are simple one-color copies and they print them at a copy house like Staples or Office Max.

If you are going to run these with an actual printer, you should check with them before hand and make sure that you are setting the file up according to their specifications.

Comment

Always call the printer.

BTW, that Alap plugin costs $399 for a single license for pro, $199 for regular.

Comment

I must have lapsed into a short coma and missed this one!!

It's been said already...Call your friendly prepress tech at the printshop that's handling your job.
                        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X