Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pavlo
    Reply to Company Logo Rebranding Critique
    Pavlo
    Yes, I get that clients can have what they want because they are paying for it.

But that's not the point of the role of a graphic designer is it?

Also, this is a forum for graphic
    Today, 01:27 AM
  • garricks
    Comment on Happy Friday!!
    garricks
    Oh, crap. I've done that. Not fun. Take care hon!
    Today, 01:05 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Recommendation request: online proofing tool
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF CALM

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Business Name Ideas
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Autumn

Seems a bit silly to have random strangers throw names at a wall to see what sticks, no? We don't know anything about you or your business, really. What have you come...
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Reply to Happy Friday!!
    Red Kittie Kat
    Thanks everyone...on top of it I sneezed this morning and threw my back out...oh well the ice packs help with the hot flashes ROFL!!! This gettin' old shit is....gettin' old!!!
    Yesterday, 11:07 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PDF files for offset printing

I know very little about PDF files and their capabilities for printing. I need to send a PDF file of a saddle-stitched brochure that was designed in InDesign. The finished size is 8.5" x 5.5". The brochure has bleeds, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to include the bleeds in the PDF file. When I open the PDF file I saved out, it only shows the artwork within in the page size and not the bleeds. What's the correct protocol here?

Call the printer.

Comment

^ no kidding.

Every print shop does things a little bit differently. Best to get your information right from the source to avoid headaches and misunderstandings down the road.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

If they know you want bleeds, you have to include them in the pdf. Anyway to do it when you export as a pdf from InDesign and when the Export pdf window comes up select "marks & bleeds" in the left column. Then enter how much bleed you want in the bleed section at the bottom. You need at least .125" surround however I guess it varies on which printer you use. I usually use .25" surround. One time a printer required .5" so yes you should call the printer and find out.

Comment

Yikes! A half inch bleed? I wonder why?

Comment

I like 1/2" bleed.
            On prints over 36" square...especially if being mounted to a substrate.

For a billboard or stage wrap I might ask you for 6" bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Digital Man
              Yikes! A half inch bleed? I wonder why?
              Can't hit the paper?
              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I work at a print shop and I really encourage pdf's make from adobe applications. They're great...when they're sent to me correctly. Like said above, make sure that you create the pdf with the bleeds in the print settings.

Also make sure that the pdf is "color correct" before you send it. For instance if it's 4 color it's in CMYK. If it's 2 spot colors make sure that it ONLY contains 2 colors. Print the seperations out first just to make sure.

Also in InDesign it gives you the option of saving it as a PDF X (great pdf file format for printing) and add all the crop marks and bleed marks before you send it (again, call the printer to see what they want on the press sheet just to make sure)

Hope that helps!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X