X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grayscale image has color

I have a problem with an InDesign file I'm working on. It's a cover for a magazine and in CMYK though some areas need to be in b/w. For the b/w images I converted it to a grayscale image in photoshop, though when I'm printing it, it has a slight reddish tinge. How do I set it up so the b/w images are gray with no color? Is this a printing problem or something in my file?

Printing for real or proofing on an inkjet?
    The image will probably separate to a black plate but a desktop inkjet printing a photo in CMYK almost always uses all 4 inks to make black. Some printers tinge red, some green (like mine).

Comment

I'm printing on a laser printer.. It's a xerox docutech I believe. So i don't think I should have the reddish tinge. I wonder if it's a problem with my file. I set it up in indesign the other images are RGB in photoshop but the b/w images are in grayscale. Then I just converted the PDF file into CMYK when exporting in InDesign. Do you think I should try to convert all my individual files as CMYK? Will that even make a difference?

Comment

Do you have a B/W laser printer? If so print color seperations to see what is 4color and what is B/W, that way you can narrow the problem down.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

Docutech is a bw printer (a behemoth that cranks out 8,000 sheets/hr), so that's probably not what you're using. If you're using the Xerox DocuColor12, then I can relate to your misery. If the file is in CMYK mode, it will use all 4 colors of toner. Your PDF will be more accurate for proofing purposes than a color copy output. If you recalibrate the machine, you may get slightly better results, but I've always noticed a pink tint to files such as yours on the Doc12.

hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by terramera
            I set it up in indesign the other images are RGB in photoshop but the b/w images are in grayscale. Then I just converted the PDF file into CMYK when exporting in InDesign. Do you think I should try to convert all my individual files as CMYK? Will that even make a difference?
            I think a safer practice, in general and if possible, is to convert your pdf's to cmyk before importing them into InDesign. I've found that the color shift, especially in IDCS4, can be dramatic, now that Adobe has given InDesign the rights to convert colors as IT sees.

Not that this has much to do with colors in the black, but it could.
            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X