Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• neeru_m
    Reply to Need help with logo
    neeru_m
    Thanks Guys for your suggestions. I will try to post more work on my logos. But for sure your suggestions wwill be a great help for me....
    Today, 02:54 PM
  • Designia
    Reply to Business Greeting Cards
    Designia
    The difference in the colors and typography is too jarring....
    Today, 02:24 PM
  • Obsidian86
    Reply to Is there a member list here?
    Obsidian86
    That sounds more like a threat than an offering....
    Today, 02:08 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    seamas
    OK, so you are 100% correct in needing another logo.

Have you come up with any ideas of your own?

I would totally avoid the red cross. That is only going to make people think...
    Today, 02:06 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Illustrator CC 2014 Issue
    PrintDriver
    I've sent it in many times.
    That and making the color palette work like InDesign's for color swapping. ie, delete a color and it asks what you want to replace it with.
    The option-drag method...
    Today, 01:59 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laminate plus a spot varnish?

I'm attempting to produce some new labels for a line of bath products, but I have some questions regarding the printing of laminates in combination with spot varnishes.

I'd like to spot varnish a pattern on the design. However- my printer explains that they will have to run a film laminate over the entire design (since the labels will ultimately be in environments with a high amount of moisture). He believes that the laminate run on top of a spot varnish will neutralize the usual reflective effect of a varnish. Is this an accurate notion?

Second- I've done a little research and there appear to be printers that recommend running the varnish on top of the laminate. These printers seem to act as if this isn't an uncommon practice. However, my printer believes that the varnish wouldn't adhere to the laminate- and that it would quickly rub off. Is this accurate or does my printer just not know what he's talking about?

I would appreciate any feedback on these questions!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum...

check these links:

http://www.printindustry.com/newsletter_18.htm

http://www.mohawkpaper.com/resources...s_coatings.htm
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I'm in printing and I can't recall ever running a varnish over a laminate. I think the printer is correct in stating that a laminate over a varnish may neutralize the effect. You may want to check UV coating out, that may help. There could be a dull and gloss effects to give some contrast.
      WYSIWYG

Comment

Hi, Is Spot Varnish that effect where like say a Font is Glossy and the rest of the page isn't?

If so is it expensive to do?

Comment

A matte laminate and a spot varnish might work. Mate laminate is more expensive, and looks it.

Spot varnish on a laminate is a HUGE pain. You would have to load up the varnish with dryers to make it stick quickly enough. It's like printing on plastic (because it is) which is very difficult for most small offset presses.

Your printer knows what he is talking about. I don't think he's trying to mess you up at all, it's just that what you're asking is very difficult and would be expensive and time consuming. There would be a lot of extra time involved.

Another solution would be to print on a product called Teslin. It is a matte plastic adhesive. It is completely impervious to water or liquids. You can run ot through the press beautifully AND print your spot varnish on. It is more expensive that regular adhesive stock of course, but in the end it will look and feel far more professional than a laminate.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X