X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! CD Jewel Case layout

hey everyone, im working on my first CD case design and im almost done. It needs to be shipped off to the printer tomorrow. Ive designed it in photoshop, all the files are 10X10inches at 300 DPI. and the spines are yet to be made.

I was then given the Guide lines for printing here:http://www.sonicunyon.com/manufacturing/Ever-Reddy_Guidelines.pdf g

im very confused as to how i should submitt the art? I have it in PSD files, and all the text is within 1/8th for bleed, but how do i ship it off to the printers? They say they wont print it unless its given to them correctally.

Whats all this jumble about fonts, lines, templates, ckmy, and all that?

any help is greatly appreaciated.

thanks a lot,
    wes

save your image as a tiff or eps. (i'd use EPS, but that's me...makes it easier for the graphic department to directly input it into Quark for layout purposes). Well not easier, but quicker. Make sure you check what mode you are in, if you aren't in CMYK chenge it to that. Possibility is that you could be working in RGB mode. As for the fonts, if it's a general font you could probably call the printer to see if they have them, and they most likely would. If you can't figure out a way to send a font, you could find where you dl'd it and ask the printer to dl it there for you. All in all, if you are using just image work, there's no real need to do anything other than correct the size, make sure it's at least 300dpi, and send in an e-mail as an eps. I hope I helped.

Comment

it has alot, what about settting it up? i was given this page
      http://www.sonicunyon.com/manufacturing/#specs

Comment

you aren't specific enough in your question. Are you doing a full layout, or just a one sided print? If you are doing a one sided print, you should really worry to much about setup costs if what you have isn't completely up to specs for the printshop, as it would take less than an hour most likely to do what you need. Most places charge a range of $50 to the expensive at $75 an hour. If you are getting a run of 500 discs, which I assume you are, then that hour becomes more expensive than if you were running 2000, but if you are unsure, that $50 would be well spent and make them more liable for the work, since it's a hire you are doing basically.

If you are doing a spread or booklet layout, you can't really define what you'd need for setup if you do everything in photoshop, and you'd need ot get on a machine with quark to do that. I could probably help more if you gave more info.

Comment

d...c... The idea is to follow the printer specs...The idea of 'just send it and they'll fix it' is not cool. Not to say you can't do it. That's why I get paid...

They say Quark, if not Quark they say Illustrator eps or Printready pdf. If you send a Photoshop file, expect to pay at least the minimum setup charge.

If you don't send the exact fonts you used in creating the file GET A PROOF. The printer's version of your font may not be a perfect match (different foundry, different kerning). Do NOT blame the printer for word wrap issues in your text blocks.

Desktop set up in Large format can go upwards to $150 per hour...so be sure of your charge before you dump the work on the vendor.

If you don't understand the 'jumble' about fonts, bleeds, lines, templates (didn't you download the template they say you MUST use?), CMYK, RGB, and all that, maybe you need to do a little more research into the graphic design field... All of those things are very basic to the job.

BTW, I use RGB for print all the time. The vendor website is in error as to being 'only for web'. But since they state CMYK you must use CMYK.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver

If you don't understand the 'jumble' about fonts, bleeds, lines, templates (didn't you download the template they say you MUST use?), CMYK, RGB, and all that, maybe you need to do a little more research into the graphic design field... All of those things are very basic to the job.

BTW, I use RGB for print all the time. The vendor website is in error as to being 'only for web'. But since they state CMYK you must use CMYK.
            PrintDriver is right!

@PrintDriver: You use RGB because your imagesetter knows to do corectly the transformation to CMYK, but No printer in the world could print with RGB colors... it is just not possible
            Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder !

Comment

why are your files set up as 10 x 10"?

Incidentally, you should ALWAYS check with the printer beforehand to prevent you from having to re-do the job to their specifications.
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Cyclops check out Durst Lambda and Cymbolic Sciences LightJet. Both use RGB lasers to print.

(I don't use imagesetters. All wide inkjet or cont tone stuff).
                Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-11-2005, 12:36 PM.

Comment

If you "print" on black paper you could use RGB, but I meant offset printing on regular stock paper, where you will never get white by combining 255Red with 255Green and 255Blue

Durst Lambda is a PhotoLab using negative paper.... I will study about it... never hurts to learn more... maybe you explain more to me about printing on negative paper
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder !

Comment

It's a photo process. Also called continuous tone. It works just like exposing photo paper when developing photos. You need the printer to expose the paper and you need the developer machine to develop it.

The combination cost of both machines runs around $500K USD.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                      d...c... The idea is to follow the printer specs...The idea of 'just send it and they'll fix it' is not cool. Not to say you can't do it. That's why I get paid...
                      so wait, you get paid why? Are you working at a printshop and corecting what is sent? I'm not saying it's his only option, but I'm saying if it's down to the wire has to be sent soon, then maybe that's the route to take if he can't get it all correct himself.

Comment

Originally posted by d... c....
                        so wait, you get paid why? Are you working at a printshop and corecting what is sent? I'm not saying it's his only option, but I'm saying if it's down to the wire has to be sent soon, then maybe that's the route to take if he can't get it all correct himself.
                        That may be okay IF the printshop is aware ahead of time that they may be doing some work with the files. Tight schedules sometimes forbid last minute "massageing" of your job and you'll get bumped. So what is cheaper in the long run? You'll hear it here A LOT...Check with your printer!
                        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

And yep, I get paid, also, to fix the files that come in. There is no such thing as a perfect file...99% close and some pass for perfect. But if the file can't make it past me, the prepress guy, it ain't making it to the pressroom.
                          People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Whats all this jumble about fonts, lines, templates, ckmy, and all that? Send that job to Rick--P.O. Box----HeHe

WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                              Whats all this jumble about fonts, lines, templates, ckmy, and all that? Send that job to Rick--P.O. Box----HeHe

WHOA

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X