Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sketch28
    What is this type of design called?
    sketch28
    I really like this type of design and would like to try my hand at some of my own, but I would like to see more examples of it. Could anyone tell me what it's called?

Sorry...
    Today, 05:32 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Cover Printing? 4 Colour?

Hey, just wondering if someone can help me out

OK, Big labels CD Covers are usually done in 4 Colour Spot Printing I think?... well if so does that mean if I was to design one for them in Photoshop and then put it in the template in Quark do I need to seperate the colours for their printing... I have to for the CD Disc yes but what about the cover?

If so can someone show me how I output the colours?

Depends on where you get it printed.
    Sometimes you can pay em to do it too.

CTP (call the printer)

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
      CTP (call the printer)
      I LIKE that. That fits on my T-Shirt a lot better than
      "Before you get too deep, call the prepress guy at your printshop"
      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Depends on where you get it printed.
        Sometimes you can pay em to do it too.

CTP (call the printer)
        Well, I'd be doing this to get experience so I doubt the label would pay extra to have the printer do it when their staff would usually send it prepared, its something I've wanted to know how to do?

Comment

Ah, you didn't say that.
          Makee learnee time.
          4-color guys? How bout it?

Comment

Ah, you didn't say that.
            Makee learnee time.
            4-color guys? How bout it?
            LOL, sorry.. it'd be great to know though so if anyone could let me know, is it done in photoshop or seperated in Quark?, and how?

Comment

I'm guessing these are cd covers that will be printed 4 colour on a lithographic printing press. If so this is called 4 colour process (not 4 colour spot)

4 colour process - cyan ,magenta yellow and black - inks used on a press to make combinations of all colours

Spot colour - colours that use a specific ink (usually pantone referenced in Britain, I'm guessing your english by the way you spell colour) This is usually used on business stationery or colour specific jobs. Process printing cannot always recreate a specific colour..i.e. bright orange.

If you set up all images as cmyk in photoshop and at 300dpi at printed size, and make sure any other elements..i.e.. logos contain just the process colours. Then place your images into quark layout and input any copy type. You can either supply your quark file and all imagery and fonts to the printer or produce a pdf or postcript file.

From quark the printer will output your file to a suitable format. Either pdf or ps and drop it into ctp (computer to plate) software or run film from it. Film is now uncommon as most files are pinted directly to plates. Quark as the ability to print separations.

Producing pdfs or postcripts from quark has the same result. These files will carry information to separate the file into cmyk in whatever software it is put through in pre press.

If you are using quark 6. Export your file as a press pdf. Then open it in acrobat and select separation preview. This will allow you to see the seps and make sure you don't have any extra unwanted colours. Your printer will tell you what specs to use when saving and may suggest you supply them a postcript file so they can run it through distiller (pdf creator) using their setting.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X