Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Portfolio advice/criticism
    B
    I'm mostly just curious, but you're apparently from Korea, yet your work is primarily in English. Is that common?

As for your work, I like it. The warm, dark reds, browns and amber hues have...
    Today, 06:52 AM
  • Gwishin
    Portfolio advice/criticism
    Gwishin
    Hey guys!

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some feedback and advice/crticism about my "work". Im very curious about what you guys think, specially the ones of...
    Today, 04:47 AM
  • crdunsto
    Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    I'm applying to several colleges over the break (SVA, MICA, Memphis, MCAD, SCAD, FIT, Parsons), and need advice on how to reference my freelance work from late 2012 up to now.

Name of Organization...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to Law Firm Website Redesign
    FredBouffard
    Your website will always reflect the kind of business you offer so it is just in time that you update your client's website. I like the large header, but the text on the upper portion of it looks dated....
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    FredBouffard
    Looks like a bull right but it needs a little bit of polishing and enhancements. Bulls have basically long, curved very pointed horns so you can work on that. And maybe fiercer eyes....
    Today, 01:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gutters and margins

I have designed tri-fold brochure. It has a graphics spreading on all three panels and margins are not consistant on all of the panels.
    The printer told me that "Gutters need to be x2 the size of the margins to ensure folding is done correctly...."
    Does it matter if the magins are not consitant? How do I mark folds? I use InDesign CS?
    ~~~ www.lsgraphic.com ~~~

Your front and back panels have to be equal size and just bigger than the panel that folds in. Make the front and back panel folds at 3 11/16 and the fold-in panel 3 5/8. The gutter space is what ever looks appealing to your design. Mark your folds with a dashed line off in the bleed area.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

rick you're my hero
      Less be more.

Comment

I have a template posted around here somewhere. Of course the last time I posted it some wanker made a big deal out of the fact that the outside panels were a couple thousandths of an inch larger than the inside panels. After explaining that folds do indeed eat paper he grudgingly admitted that I was right. Anyway if your not offended by three decimal precision here it is.

http://www.maximage.net/6-Panel-2-Fold-Brochure.pdf

Comment

kool, I think I'm going to cry
          Less be more.

Comment

- rickself - so I have to extend the background image to get a bleed so I can put fold marks in it? Right now I have no bleed.

- Kool - outside panel larger - that makes sence. Thank you for template

Comment

- rickself - I mean none of my images goes close enough to borders to be extended as a bleed. Do I have to make white background, extend it as a bleed and put a fold marks?

Comment

Bleed area just refers to the area outside the edges of the finished product. Tics & color bars and all kinds of useful stuff lives out there. Just add a bleed area to whatever page layout program you are using and put the dotted lines out there.

Comment

I see. Thanks for your help, Kool!

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

Aaa, I have another question! When I export for InDesign to PDF I suppose I have to give to printer copies of used fonts. Do I manualy collect them and put in separate folder or there is another faster way how to do that? Like in QuarkXpress Collect for output?

Comment

ID has a collect for output but I don't remember what it's called. It doesn't apply to PDFs though. Supposedly you don't need too for them but it wouldn't hurt to throw them in a folder and send em along anyway.

Comment

It's Package under File in InDesign I believe, but that will give you all the other files too. You can also turn the text to outlines before making the pdf if you text is well-proofed and you don't want it changed. Also the printer won't have to worry about text issues if they would rise.
                          Less be more.

Comment

Thank you! You are really helpful. Sorry for dumb questions. I am learning InDesign hard way, hand on. I appreciate any help!

Comment

MYNOCK's Back!!
                              Not eaten by bears!!??

And anisa, check with your printer about what you send them. I prefer the native file, fonts and links, AND a pdf...in that order. If I can get by with the pdf, all is good. But if I need to do anything with the file, having the native file is your saving grace. Printed on my t-shirt..."Check with your printers' Prepress Guy"
                              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X