Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to Have you met ...me
    Buda
    Hi Mike and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • mikeengland
    Have you met ...me
    mikeengland
    Hello my name is Mike, my username gives it away. However I joined this forum for a few reasons including art crititques, expanding my learning, and improve myself as a professional. I am from Dayton,...
    Today, 01:10 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to A logo needs help
    Buda
    It looks like a logo for a dating website. I think you need a different concept.
    Today, 12:21 AM
  • Buda
    Comment on A New design agency with the mindset of 10-15 years ago…
    Buda
    I learn to pick my battles. Some clients will resist, others will listen and take on advice. But it can be tricky when your client is management.
    Today, 12:15 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Just rebranded my design company
    Buda
    Nice logo. I like how it's kinda looks spartan which in my opinion a very strong symbol.

The only things I would change is that in the BC and LH the logo looks very big compared to the s...
    Today, 12:13 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postcard Dimensions

I feel a bit silly asking this question, but I'm a web designer so be gentle.

I've got a postcard design that requires quite a bit of text for the back (or "address") side. It's a 4.25" by 6" card.

Now I've read (I did visit the postal service website) that you need to allow 4 inches from the right side for the bar code and address area -- but if I'm not using a bar code, what is the maximum width I can safely use on the left side of the back of the card? I always just eyeball this and I've never had a problem, but I want to make sure I do this right.

These are the specs from her printer:

The final (trimmed) postcard size is 6" x 4.25"
    -PLUS 1/8" bleed all around; make your final layout 6.25" x 4.50"
    -Consider 1/4" for safety from the trim line.
    -Don't put any copy or logos too close to the cutlines.
    -Actual Live Area is 5.5"x 3.75"
    -If your postcard has a border - it must be at least 1/8" wide PLUS
    bleed!

So I guess I need to allow .25" from the left-hand side right off the bat. Which leaves me only 1.75" for live content. But that just doesn't seem right.

Please help a web designer/math-impaired designer out. I appreciate it!!
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Vikia? Where are you postcard master? lol

I feel like an idiot, but I'm looking for "maximum width" here so I can include as much of her text as possible.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Maybe this will help
      http://www.designerstoolbox.com/print/post1.php
      Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
      http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Best thing to do is talk to someone at your local post office. I've got 'em on speed deal. Setup your template, fax it over and ask if it meets the postal requirements. They'll tell you exactly what you need to do to fix it if not.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, great advise! Just in case anybody else has this question -- the post office said to leave 1/6" at the bottom for the barcode and enough area for the stamp. And "the important thing to remember is that the return address and the mailing address don't get confused" -- in other words, didn't sound like there was a "set" width.

So, I'm going to go with what the toolbox (awesome site!) recommends.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X