X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapping...

is it just me, or is doing your own trapping seem insanely cumbersome???

i do a lot Labels for package design and typically the printers always say they will handle all the Trapping. but recently my boss has been getting on me about doing the trapping myself.

i was always thought that the printer had the ability to 'easily' do trapping during the RIP, is this not true?

my problem is some of the label i've done get pretty freaking complex (i.e. UV white underlays, multiple strokes on objects, lots of overlapping and intersecting colors...).
    is there any easy way of understanding how to do trapping correctly(especially when you already have multiple strokes on an object)?

i've heard that you need to allow more room for mis-reg on the Label Station/wind direction and less room for the side to side movement, is this true?

for some reason my boss thinks this stuff can be done at the touch of a button...the final results are something I'm worried about send cause i don't know if i've done it correctly or not. my lack of printshop knowledge is really hurting me here!
    Please Help!
    Last edited by Silence04; 11-02-2005, 02:24 AM.
    www.standercreative.com

I'm actually surprised we don't get more threads about trapping. It's something that needs to be done and done right, but can be difficult. I think it maybe have to do with the less experienced people don't deal with trapping and those who deal with it are to the point where they have it down. And I guess some don't deal with it at all.
    Less be more.

Comment

I'd rather let the printer deal with it because he knows the tolerances he needs to have to get the registration right.

Wide format doesn't use traps.
      Vinyl cutting does. Sometimes.

Comment

In the case of black, most traps can be handled as simply as overprinting the stroke or the type. But unless you know what you're doing and what your printer expects, trapping can live uip to its' name.
        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I overide all client traps period. I do the trapping. We don't charge for it anymore anyhow. It's not worth the risk it getting on press and some silly trap or wrong overprint or ko causes a $1,000,000.00 press and $30 and hour pressmen come to a screaching halt. Show your boss this thread.
          Last edited by jimking; 09-30-2005, 03:23 PM.
          WYSIWYG

Comment

Let the printer do the trapping.
            It's not about the world of design.
            It's about the design of the world.
            Massive Change

Comment

I work in Prepress and we never use the client's traps.

Comment

yep, I learned this the hard way. A couple years ago when I first got into sending files to the printer myself, I thought It'd save money to do the trapping myself, and one of the objects ended up dropping out of the file, so I had to pay for another proof. Most printers don't charge for it anyways, and they prefer to do it.

Save yourself the headache and tell your boss you're better off leaving it to those actually RIPing it.

Comment

I've personally never done anything with traps. Nor would I know how. In the unlikely event that a printer asked me to do all my own traps, I would have to give myself a crash course, but I've just never needed to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by DeleteYourself
                    I've personally never done anything with traps. Nor would I know how. In the unlikely event that a printer asked me to do all my own traps, I would have to give myself a crash course, but I've just never needed to do that.
                    If any printer asks you to trap your own work, find another printer. And that's coming from a printer.
                    WYSIWYG

Comment

I work at a printshop. I would never use the client's trap either. I do have a hard time understanding it too because every application is different, all projects are printed differently on different presses etc. But the ONLY way I know that it's right is after I RIP it and view on the RIP computer. Sometimes I grab my pressman and ask him if that's enough trap because I don't even know how some of the presses with handle certain registration.
                      If it's not right, I go back to the Mac, try to fix it, send it over again, view it....sometimes I have to go back and forth until it's right.
                      Sounds like your print shop is just making up for lost time because they don't have someone that's that experienced about it either. And you have to be pretty darn good.
                      Just explain to your boss that all of your assignments are different, all of the printer's presses are different, and you would have to know how much to trap on each part of each project each time and won't even know that their RIP process would do it correctly. It's just in no way economical.
                      Do you even know for fact that your printer would accept your trapping or do they just automatically charge for that?
                      Sorry, but unless those designs change, there's no other way!

Comment

Speaking of trapping, does anybody know any good resources to learn more about trapping. Books, websites, classes?

Comment

Back in the early 90's Agfa put out a great little booklet called "Digital Color Prepress". To this day I still refer to it as it was one of the clearest references out on the subject. I have vol 1 & 2. It was a freebie handed out by their reps.

I tried to see if they had a link for the booklet, but I don't know if they still put it out there. Anyway, I scanned the 3 pages on trapping and stuck them in a pdf.
                          Feel free to download it.

AGFA_trapping.pdf [2.5MB]
                          Last edited by Vikia; 10-09-2005, 02:55 AM.
                          Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                          Through the Looking Glass

Comment

yoink! thanks viki that will be most useful.
                            I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Don't trap yourself

There are basically two ways to output for Commercial Printing. One involves a RIP (Raster Image Processing) which basically means that information is translated from one language to something that an output device understands. As far as I know, most of these RIP's have trapping available. Whether it is used properly is another story.

The second way is to print Separations to the output device. The trapping had to be done on the files in most cases. If you use a printer that has one of these old school ways....find another printer.

With some files needing a trap you could drive a truck through and others being ruined if they are trapped at all, you should always leave trapping up the the printer.
                              Joe Davis

There are 3 types of people....Those who make things happen......Those who watch things happen.....and those who wonder what happened.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X