Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• snehal_Joshi
    Comment on Business Logo Design
    snehal_Joshi
    A logo is the first impression for any brand, as per my view only logo can create your first corporate brand image.
    Today, 06:31 AM
  • approveme
    Reply to Which of HTML and XHTML works best for most browsers?
    approveme
    What Is XHTML?

XHTML stands for EXtensible HyperText Markup Language
    XHTML is almost identical to HTML
    XHTML is stricter than HTML
    XHTML is HTML defined as an XML application...
    Today, 05:46 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Your's personal criticism
    it52
    It's cool you have a wide variety of skills. If you've designed for the web, I'm surprised you don't have a portfolio website of your own that you designed and coded. Do you have experience in coding?...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • justproud2b
    Reply to General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Your right and thank you. I'm going to rethink it from a new perspective (the whole idea). I'm not used to dealing with names that don't have an overly obvious icon or look associated with them so I was...
    Today, 04:20 AM
  • B
    Comment on Graphic Design tutorials
    B
    It's sort of the Dadaist approach to design, I guess.
    Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a booklet size that tends to run cheaper?

I'm working on designing a booklet for work and they're on a limited budget for this project. It's simply a saddle-stitched booklet, likely with no bleeds, and will probably be about 24 pages.

When it comes to printing, are there any sizes that allow you to maximize the number of spreads you can get on a single sheet of paper and save money? I don't know if there's a standard size printer sheet out there. If there is, please tell me They don't need a huge quantity, so I'm recommending digital printing.

Thanks!

Michelle
    I will grow old but I will never grow up.

Probably letter sized pages run flat, folded and stitched to finish 8.5 x 5.5.

Running smaller than that would be even more cost effective, but it would be the size of a business card! This way you wan run two pages on a tabloid and add probably 50 bucks to cut and fold, depending on the quantity.
    IM me sometime! I promise I won't abbrev. any words under fourteen letters long.

Comment

What size are the sheets in the booklet. They will most likely run it on a 11x17. For instance if you would run business cards on a 11x17, cut to bleed, you could run it at 24up(meaning 24 cards per page). If you are going to run it duplex with a finish of a 8.5x5.5, it would be run 2up getting 4 pages. But a size would help alot when calculating amount of paper usage. If you are going to send the files digitally, make sure there are no mistakes and you will most likely have to send it as a pdf, it makes it easy for them to send it to the printer, and when it's easier for them, the computer usage fee isn't as great. This is what I do all day at work, and when we have to correct someones work and just even have to tweak it because it's pixelated or what not, our fee for working on it goes by the time we spend on it.
      "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"
      -----
      Print Design and Promotion

Comment

you need to call the printer and ask the size of the sheets they print on, and ask how much room they need in between cuts. then based upon what sizes they tell you, layout your pages and sizes in the space available on each sheet.
        the more runs you can fit on one sheet, the less cost you have on material...
        Last edited by Silence04; 10-05-2005, 04:54 AM.
        www.standercreative.com

Comment

Catalog Costs generally depend on final quantity, number of pages and size. When you fill the press size, that is where you get price breaks.

Quantity - lower quantities cost more. Press time is the most expensive component and they don't make money when they are stopped. Most will run 10-15,000 impressions an hour so let them Run!!!

Number of Pages & size - Say you have a press that will print 4 - 8.5x11 size pages at one time. You will get an 8 page signature (Or 16 if they are 5.5x8.5 size pages) If you need to print more pages, fill up the next signature or you will end up buying the paper anyway just to have it thrown out. Now you are at 16 or 32 pages depending on size.

Lastly, remember bindery! Signatures are printed paginated to fold. All signatures are collated together then sent through a stitcher that will also 3/side trim. Stick to the standard sizes and save some costs that way as well.

Hope this helps.
          Joe Davis

There are 3 types of people....Those who make things happen......Those who watch things happen.....and those who wonder what happened.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
          Working...
          X