Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Canon T3i or an original Canon 5D?
    ISitude
    I just snagged a T3i ...jumping up from Canon's point 'n' shoots so it shouldn't be a problem. It goes into service next week for a client's product shots (sporting goods) and for my own pet project of...
    Today, 09:22 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Self Logo Critique
    kemingMatters
    I'm fully aware that the first logo is black and white, I was commenting on how difficult it is to read at any distance other than on top of it.

The only versions that are really that legible...
    Today, 07:08 PM
  • garricks
    Comment on Indesign CC Exporting
    garricks
    Yeah, i have to agree…
    Today, 06:34 PM
  • subdrewgans
    Reply to Self Logo Critique
    subdrewgans
    In the first link, the very first logo is B&W. I think the one with your initials are stronger, but definitely needs some work and tightening up.

What does your logo say about you?...
    Today, 06:18 PM
  • CataclysmX
    Comment on Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    CataclysmX
    Yeah I meant use the same typeface from the S in the green logo, but if that doesnt work I would keep exploring, fonts are really underrated and people need to spend time finding working fonts to improve...
    Today, 05:55 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Pre-Press

Was wondering if I could tap the experienced and pre-press savvy around here. Trying to get a file all set up for the printer and give her nothing to complain about. The thing is a brochure comprised of an 11x17 Illustrator file for the cover and an 11x17 Illustrator file for the innerds.

This is what I have for my list thus far:
    embed photographs
    remove pantones from AI swap palette (printing in CMYK)
    convert all fonts to outlines
    size all photos to 300dpi @ 100%
    convert all photos to CMYK prior to embedding
    flatten all AI layers
    discard all non printing layers
    provide crop area for document
    provide PDF and JPEG for document proofing

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Eraser Nubbin; 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM.
    match in the gas tank, boom boom

Cover

Comment

Innerds

Comment

Sounds pertty darned good.
        Is there an 11x17 box anywhere in either file that makes it a perfect 11x17?
        OR position your eps files in a quark document, that way it can be opened and printed.
        Bleeds? I take it you don't want any colour correction?
        Those white lines..... fold and cuts? If so I shouldn't see them they should be marks off the edge of the page.
        Last edited by PersonasBinar; 10-20-2005, 09:19 PM.
        It's not about the world of design.
        It's about the design of the world.
        Massive Change

Comment

Gradient

One thing I was a little concerned about is the presence of the gradient. Was wondering if it would specifically cause me some issues. Thought it might come out kind of muddy or something. Not too worried about banding as it is just two colours over 11 inches.

Comment

The page size of the Illustrator files themselves is 11x17 adn there is 1/8+ bleed around the edges.

Comment

You're illustrations in white at the top... what's the line thinkness of those? What colour are they sitting on?
              Massive Change

Comment

That perf lines in your photos is that where it folds? Is it art? Where in the center does it fold?
                Last edited by jimking; 10-20-2005, 09:38 PM.
                WYSIWYG

Comment

naw, that dotted line is part of the design, it folds at the end of the photo which i know can be a little sketchy if they get the cut/fold off it looks wanky but we did the same thing with a different brochure and cleared it up first with them.

Comment

The illustrations are 0.25 point, is that pushing it or should i check with the printer. It is sitting on top of the gradient (see above gradient)

Comment

You'll never print, or rather knockout a quarter point, ever it'll just plug up with ink. A point minimum I'd say, but check with your printer. If there's the slightest stock wiggle or misregistration you'll see it in those illustrations. You don't want those images enhanced for the press? I'm thinkin' they wil print a bit darker (gain) and they allready look dark.
                      Massive Change

Comment

Hmmm so you think they should do the colour correction on there end?
                        I'll run the point size buy them as well.

Comment

I always give the printer the option of correction as they know the press and stock and the inks better than anyone. Link the images as opposed to embedding them...OR give them a final version of the work file with links as opposed to embedded. You supply the visual proof in the PDF, say. I like the darker tone, it goes with the copper and such, but with gain dark can become DARK. They can help you there. You make it look nice, they make it print nice. As it is the correction varies depending on the stock. What's you're max ink density?
                          Massive Change

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS...it takes a lot to put a smile on a prepress guy's face but you got it!

Are you in CS (may be the same in 10)? If so,
                            1. go into print, ->Marks & Bleed and set your bleed there (don't worry about marks), go back up to General and set media size to "custom", and then click "Done".
                            2. Draw a bounding box around your page outside of your art...for 11x17 I like to draw a box 12x18 (equal to the bleed amount set in prevuious step).
                            3. When the file is placed into whatever (we use Preps) we center the work and it all comes out perfect.
                            Illustrator, like Freehand, uses the artwork physical space rather than the page document size when exporting to another program. So by drawing the outer bounding box, it gives a good clean size.
                            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

On the front page there is a 1/8 grey rule underneath the large photo. If the piece folds in half and the front photo butts to the fold, that grey rule will wrap around on the back--is that ok?
                              WYSIWYG

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X