X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outline font issues?

Hi, just a quick question about outlining fonts. I have done a businesscard and just about to send to print. the problem im having is when i outline the font it seems to appear more bold than it should be. I have printed out a before and an after and there is a definate difference.

The font is quite small (futura mt bt - 8 pt) its also noticable on the larger font sizes.

Im outlining in illustrator CS on a pc.

Am i doing something wrong or is this common?

Cheers
    Neil

I haven't heard of this before. You could ask your printer if they have the font in question and then outlining won't be an issue. Or you could supply the font to the printer (check you font license agreement). I can't see that Illustrator is actually making it bolder. Try sending it and ask for a proof and see what it comes out like.

Hope this helps!
    Design is only as good as what it achieves

Comment

Do not know the reason why off the top of my head why it does this. I have seen what you are talking about. If you do not like the way the type looks as outlines - the other option is to send the file with your fonts without then as outlines.

Comment

Originally posted by DOZER
        Do not know the reason why off the top of my head why it does this. I have seen what you are talking about. If you do not like the way the type looks as outlines - the other option is to send the file with your fonts without then as outlines.
        Hi, yeah i have sent both files (one outlined and one not) and asked that they try and print the font version. I have noticed it when i have done larger prints but its more obvious when the text is so small.

Cheers
        Neil

Comment

Ah Smerky...good to see you've finally registered..Weclome to the GDF!

I've noticed that text always looks thicker on screen after being outlined but I haven't seen a difference when printed.

If it causes a major problem, I guess you could make the text/outlines slightly thinner

OBJECT/PATH/OFFSET PATH...

Depending on the font, size of your text, and how much thicker the outline text is, you'll need to mess around with the amount... (-0.02mm will roughly be right for 8pt Myriad Roman.)

Hope this helps you mate...hows the job going?

Comment

When creating outlines the text always gets abit thicker and jamodu has the fix. Most of the time you wont notice it because all the text is outlined. If you were to outline only half of a sentence and leave the other half alone, you will always (most cases) see the difference even when printed.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

do you have a stroke on the font as well as a fill?
              "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

no, the font didnt have a stroke on, I agree that its harder to notice if you were to outline all the fonts, just obvious when you compare outlined to non outlined. I'll give the fix a try and see how i get on.
                Cheers

PS: jamodo - print is much more entertaining than that web design malarky!

Comment

My Illustrator does this too. I usually do the same thing as well just sent the outlined version and the non-outlined version with the fonts but I've noticed that most printers just use the outlined version instead of the original when I do that so they don't have to install the font. And I notice it the most on business cards too when the font is so small. I would love to know a better way of fixing this so that I can outline fonts. I also notice it a lot more in CS2 then any other version?
                  the best designs happen when you don't even realize they are there.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X