X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sending Quark files to LaserRed

HI all! I work in a small print shop and we usually work in InDesign CS but have a customer who is using Quark 4.1. I am having problems with their files.

In the past I open these files up in InDesign and send them to the LaserRed from there. The last time I did this, the font was messed up. I had turned the font to Outlines, but on the film, the font changed to a different font. This time we sent to film directly from Quark (5). I don't use Quark but found a tutorial that said I needed to export the file as eps, open in Illustrator and change fonts to outlines and this is what I did. Everything looked fine on my computer, but when ripped on the LaserRed software, the font had all been changed to Italics.

Could anyone please give advice on how to prepare and send Quark files to press? Also, why is the font changing?

I am somewhat new to printing and prepress and any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like the italics happened in opening in Illy. Did you load the client fonts?
    If you work in a printshop use the application that the client sent you. Do not try to convert of you will be forever giving customers breaks on bad file conversions.

Quirk job sent, print from quirk.....
    It's not about the world of design.
    It's about the design of the world.
    Massive Change

Comment

The problem is if I try and send it to the imagesetter from Quark, it will not rip. We get an error--invalid font, offending command. I know it is a font issue, but I don't know what I need to do to get the fonts to rip. Like I said I use InDesign and haven't had any problems with that software, but we have been having a lot of problems with this clients files and would like to be able to print directly from Quark. It would solve a lot of headaches. Client fonts are loaded. I thought making them into outlines would solve my problem, but it didn't work.

Comment

Sorry for the problems. After 15 years in the prepress world, you learn that money is only wasted when you use other apps to do what the original app should be doing. I've run into too many people in the business that think the answer to the question, especially those that don't want to tackle PC files) is to put it into some other Mac app).

Your job now is to contact the imagesetter/RIP people and find out what the font probllem is and how it can be fixed. There's an answer...you just need to get it. (And in case you didn't know, I HATE QUARK!!! 4.1 is easy, just wait til ya get a Quirk 6.5 file!!!)
        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I work on a PC and the imagesetter is on a mac. Haven't had any problems yet with InDesign, only the Quark stuff. I hate Quark too.

Comment

what font is causing you the grief?
            If you can't cross platform it then it's up to the client to possibily do the illy work at their end. They have the font they can only outline it. Unless you load the proper mac version of the font....did they artifically style the font in quark?
            It's not about the world of design.
            It's about the design of the world.
            Massive Change

Comment

I've had macs default to unintended postscript fonts and not tell me the actual font is missing IF the printer font is loaded but not the screen font. This usually happens only in Illustrator though. Did you look at the text you were outlining in Illustrator to be sure it was the right font?

The other thing that comes to mind is the 25% of Freeware fonts that we can't get thru our rips because the fonts are crap. At least that's the current statistic. Outlining is sometimes the only way.

It's not up to the client if the print vendor says they take Quark files.

Comment

We send a postscript file to the imagesetter software to be ripped. It doesn't tell me what font is the problem. They used 4 different fonts, all of them I have installed.

Everything looked OK in Illustrator. The problem happens when the file is being ripped.

All the text was in outlines, and looked just fine on my pc. The ripped file made the text looked like it was in italics.

Fonts used are Arial, Fujyama Extra Bold, Futura BdCn BT and Swis721 BlkCn BT. Also there are no glyphs or unusual characters, which sometimes causes me problems, but I checked to make sure there were none.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                Working...
                X